why no Z06 'vert??

Old December 8th 04, 03:39 AM

Default why no Z06 'vert??

ok I'm ready to buy my 6th vette after a 20 year abstinence from
performance cars to raise a family..........

I've settled on a 2001 (price - mileage)
6-spd 3:42 gears LS1 will be enough at 350 HP
Love the vert but too vulnerable to whimsical malicious attacks by mall
thugs with knives.....
But I like open top driving hence, I'll go coupe w/ glass top.

BUT........ I really like the stats on the Z06! but dammit , its the
ugliest of the herd with that notchback...
Does anybody know of an aftermarket (ASC?) that can convert one to a
convertible? or targa
Maybe the best route to get my desires is a Lingenfelter coupe??
Dellima's

what to do?
After an 89 87 IROC in 305 & 350 respectively. I suppose the LS1 will
satisfy........
........Your thoughts, Hobson?

Mike

Old December 8th 04, 06:27 AM
LIW

"M" > wrote in message
> ok I'm ready to buy my 6th vette after a 20 year abstinence from
> performance cars to raise a family..........
>
> I've settled on a 2001 (price - mileage)
> 6-spd 3:42 gears LS1 will be enough at 350 HP
> Love the vert but too vulnerable to whimsical malicious attacks by mall
> thugs with knives.....
> But I like open top driving hence, I'll go coupe w/ glass top.
>
> BUT........ I really like the stats on the Z06! but dammit , its the
> ugliest of the herd with that notchback...
> Does anybody know of an aftermarket (ASC?) that can convert one to a
> convertible? or targa
> Maybe the best route to get my desires is a Lingenfelter coupe??
> Dellima's
>
> what to do?
> After an 89 87 IROC in 305 & 350 respectively. I suppose the LS1 will
> satisfy........
> .......Your thoughts, Hobson?
>
> Mike

You can basically bring your C5 coupe up to Z06 stats if you so desire, with
changes in exhaust, flash memory reprogram, cold air intake, change of tires
and anti sway bars, and so on.

But have you actually tried pushing the standard coupe, maybe after an
exhaust change and better tires? You might be surprised how good it can
be.

Old December 8th 04, 06:27 AM
LIW

Old December 8th 04, 05:52 PM
Bob G.

For about $11,000 big opnes there is a company that will convert
a FRC or a ZO6 into a convertable...(with a hard roof fully, no
canvas...and is powered....)

Sorry but I can not remmeber the name of the outfit..but they were at
Carlisle last year...

Personally I like the looks of the FRC/Z06 much better then the
hatchback...but not as much as the vert..... different strokes for
different folks I guess...

Bob Giffiths
68 SS 396 Chevelle
64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes....
only the 79 is a "slush box" ....wife is lazy !

Old December 8th 04, 05:52 PM
Bob G.

Old December 8th 04, 06:10 PM

Update that to :
2001 Coupe with 6-spd, LS1 (performance chip, upgrade exhaust) Z51
Suspension
(don't give a crap about 6 way power, heated seats or HUD = just more to
break)
This will be my poor mans Z06 with (arguably) better eye appeal.......

only thing left is to tint that bigass greenhouse back window ---Alas, My
kingdom for the rear "sail panels" of 68 - 77!

Mike
87 -IROC 350 T-Top
89 - IROC 305 Rag Top
96 Eldo (northstar)