dead battery

Old December 14th 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Even Stephen

Default dead battery

My son's Sebring sat out for 8 days (NE Ohio) during a winter snow and would
not start. AAA "jump started" it so he could get to work. The battery dead
again and won't accept a jump start again. Could it be just a dead battery
(7 years old) or battery/alternator? Thanks!

Old December 14th 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
News

Even Stephen wrote:

> My son's Sebring sat out for 8 days (NE Ohio) during a winter snow and
> would not start. AAA "jump started" it so he could get to work. The
> battery dead again and won't accept a jump start again. Could it be just
> a dead battery (7 years old) or battery/alternator? Thanks!

7 years old? It's past time for a replacement.

Consider yourself lucky it worked the past two winters.

That said, a complete electrical systems check at the time of
replacement would be a good idea. Could be the jump also did some damage.
Old December 14th 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bret

Just a reminder -

When you replace the battery be sure to completely clean the battery
terminals and clamps. Dirty battery connections can cause all sorts of
electrical problems.

Old December 14th 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Even Stephen

....thanks! The battery in a Sebring is buried in the wheel well (real
handy!) so I may take this to my mechanic.

Old December 14th 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
General Schvantzkoph

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:13:11 +0000, Even Stephen wrote:

> My son's Sebring sat out for 8 days (NE Ohio) during a winter snow and
> would not start. AAA "jump started" it so he could get to work. The
> battery dead again and won't accept a jump start again. Could it be just
> a dead battery (7 years old) or battery/alternator? Thanks!

Batteries last for 4 years, if you got 7 out of this one it must have
been one hell of a battery, I'd buy another of the same brand.
Old December 14th 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Even Stephen

ooooops. I did the math wrong. It's a 2003, so the original battery lasted
5 years?

Old December 14th 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
General Schvantzkoph

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 15:51:06 +0000, Even Stephen wrote:

> ooooops. I did the math wrong. It's a 2003, so the original battery
> lasted 5 years?
>
> "General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:13:11 +0000, Even Stephen wrote:
>>
>>> My son's Sebring sat out for 8 days (NE Ohio) during a winter snow and
>>> would not start. AAA "jump started" it so he could get to work. The
>>> battery dead again and won't accept a jump start again. Could it be
>>> just a dead battery (7 years old) or battery/alternator? Thanks!

>> Batteries last for 4 years, if you got 7 out of this one it must have
>> been one hell of a battery, I'd buy another of the same brand.

OK that makes more sense, they do make 5 year batteries. I've always used
Diehards as my replacement battery, in my experience they deliver exactly
as many months as they promise, it's almost as if they have a timer in
them, a 48 month battery lasts for 48 months and not a day more.
Old December 14th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_]

On 12/14/08 09:53 am General Schvantzkoph wrote:

>> My son's Sebring sat out for 8 days (NE Ohio) during a winter snow and
>> would not start. AAA "jump started" it so he could get to work. The
>> battery dead again and won't accept a jump start again. Could it be just
>> a dead battery (7 years old) or battery/alternator? Thanks!

> Batteries last for 4 years, if you got 7 out of this one it must have
> been one hell of a battery, I'd buy another of the same brand.

The original battery in our '96 Stratus lasted 5 years or more in NY and
Michigan. The replacement (Diehard) was still OK after 5 or 6 years, at
which point we got rid of the car.

The original battery in our '02 300M is still OK after 5 1/2 years in NY
and Michigan.

Perce

Old December 15th 08, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Erehwon

"Percival P. Cassidy" > wrote in message
> On 12/14/08 09:53 am General Schvantzkoph wrote:
>
>>> My son's Sebring sat out for 8 days (NE Ohio) during a winter snow and
>>> would not start. AAA "jump started" it so he could get to work. The
>>> battery dead again and won't accept a jump start again. Could it be just
>>> a dead battery (7 years old) or battery/alternator? Thanks!

>> Batteries last for 4 years, if you got 7 out of this one it must have
>> been one hell of a battery, I'd buy another of the same brand.

> The original battery in our '96 Stratus lasted 5 years or more in NY and
> Michigan. The replacement (Diehard) was still OK after 5 or 6 years, at
> which point we got rid of the car.
>
> The original battery in our '02 300M is still OK after 5 1/2 years in NY
> and Michigan.
>
> Perce

Still have original battery in a 2000 Dodge Intrepid purchased in December
1999. Car has 160,000 miles, all of them spent in Chicago area.

Old December 15th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:13:11 +0000, Even Stephen wrote:
>
>> My son's Sebring sat out for 8 days (NE Ohio) during a winter snow and
>> would not start. AAA "jump started" it so he could get to work. The
>> battery dead again and won't accept a jump start again. Could it be just
>> a dead battery (7 years old) or battery/alternator? Thanks!

> Batteries last for 4 years, if you got 7 out of this one it must have
> been one hell of a battery, I'd buy another of the same brand.

The wheel well location keeps the battery MUCH cooler than other
under-hood locations, which has a lot to do with the long life of
batteries in these cars and the LH cars.

Dead Battery? TomC Honda 4 May 16th 07 12:04 PM
Battery going dead! Jerry Bransford Jeep 0 January 19th 06 05:45 PM
1997 SC2 Completely Dead, No Power, Not Dead Battery getjer1 Saturn 10 November 18th 05 04:05 AM
dead battery JEEPR Jeep 20 August 3rd 05 11:01 PM
When The Battery Light Comes On Does This Mean The Battery Is Going Dead? John Saturn 10 August 14th 04 01:25 AM