driving and seizure

Old January 11th 06, 05:54 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.autos.driving

Default driving and seizure

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi folks,
>
> A friend of mine was having seizure and his car hit a stop sign last
> week. It was a very quiet neighborhood and no one was hurt. An old lady
> saw the accident, thought he was having some heart attack, so she
> called the 911.
>
> When the police came, my friend had already backed to normal. And he
> told police he was lost control on the wheel, that's it !!!. So police
> checked everything and gave him a ticket.
>
> When I asked him why he not telling the truth to the police, he told me
> that he had a similar case 7 years ago, after he told police what was
> happening, his license was revoked. And it took him 9 months to go to
> the driver training class, road testing before he got his license back.
> He is taking some medicine to control his seizure, but it still happens
> at very rare moment.
>
> I don' t think it is right on either side, first of all, he should have
> told police the truth. Secondly, his license should not be suspended.
> Driver training or road testing would not cure his disease.
>
> What do you think ?
> If he is telling the truth to the police, what the police should do ?

I can see both sides of the issue. I don't like the fact that he lied, but
to him that was the best way that he could keep driving. Where I have the
problem is where he obviously has a medical condition that really should
keep him off the road but he continues to drive knowing that it could be an
issue. The best scenario I could present is to ask you if that stop sign
had been a car; that car had people in it, and they were injured because of
his seizure. Would you want his license revoked? I know I would. It sucks
for him, but as they say: the good of the many outweighs the good of the
few.

--
---
jaybird

Old January 11th 06, 06:07 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.autos.driving,alt.true-crime

jaybird wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > A friend of mine was having seizure and his car hit a stop sign last
> > week. It was a very quiet neighborhood and no one was hurt. An old lady
> > saw the accident, thought he was having some heart attack, so she
> > called the 911.
> >
> > When the police came, my friend had already backed to normal. And he
> > told police he was lost control on the wheel, that's it !!!. So police
> > checked everything and gave him a ticket.
> >
> > When I asked him why he not telling the truth to the police, he told me
> > that he had a similar case 7 years ago, after he told police what was
> > happening, his license was revoked. And it took him 9 months to go to
> > the driver training class, road testing before he got his license back.
> > He is taking some medicine to control his seizure, but it still happens
> > at very rare moment.
> >
> > I don' t think it is right on either side, first of all, he should have
> > told police the truth. Secondly, his license should not be suspended.
> > Driver training or road testing would not cure his disease.
> >
> > What do you think ?
> > If he is telling the truth to the police, what the police should do ?

> I can see both sides of the issue. I don't like the fact that he lied, but
> to him that was the best way that he could keep driving. Where I have the
> problem is where he obviously has a medical condition that really should
> keep him off the road but he continues to drive knowing that it could be an
> issue. The best scenario I could present is to ask you if that stop sign
> had been a car; that car had people in it, and they were injured because of
> his seizure. Would you want his license revoked? I know I would. It sucks
> for him, but as they say: the good of the many outweighs the good of the
> few.

It's crazy to let this guy drive but then again we let all sorts of
other dangerous drivers drive. Convicted DUIs and speeders don't lose
their DL. At least not permanently.

Old January 11th 06, 07:31 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.autos.driving,alt.true-crime

and the real menace on the road, traffic pigs, still have their licenses too
unfortunately.