Advantage of Multi-Color Taillights?

Old January 10th 06, 12:01 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Chinese-made classic VWs

Erik Meltzer > writes:

>Bernd Felsche wrote:
>> Bernd Felsche writes:

>[VW K 70]
>> >The engine was, IIRC, shared with the Iltis. Quite a number of
>> >*them* ended up in Canada.

>> Looks like I was wrong about the engine... photos look like they're
>> 827-series found in Passat/Golf/... .

>> Oh what a frail memory.

>I do believe that the last years of K 70 did have an 827
>engine, so if I'm not wrong about this, neither are you
>about it being used for the Iltis. Deal? ;-)

OK. :-)

Because Audi built the VW Iltis at Ingolstadt, they kept tripping
over the 4WD components... until one day somebody woke up and bolted
together the first Audi quattro.
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | Cynicism \Cyn"i*cism\
X against HTML mail | A visual defect caused by the
/ \ and postings | intrusion of reality
Old January 10th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> >> I think that was a reference to the introduction of the inline-4
> >> watercooled family, but IIRC it was earlier than 1976; 1973 or '74
> >> maybe?

> > '73, VW Passat. Dasher to you over there.

> Nate will correct me, but my impression was that '76 was the first year a
> wasserleaker was available in the US.

I looked it up, the Scirocco was introduced for the '74 model year,
which was the first A1 chassis (Scirocco/Golf/Jetta Mk1) and also the
first vehicle to use the familiar VW engine that is still in use today,
albeit with different heads etc...

I really don't know my history of the Passat/Quantum, although I do
know it was introduced about the same time. Now I have no idea when
these models were actually introduced into the US... I have to admit,
Sciroccos were so rare when I was a kid I never paid much attention to
them, and the Quantum was a big, boring family car, but I do remember
the introduction of the GTI in the US in 1983 (and years later, I
bought an '84 model... was just as much fun as I expected...)

nate

Old January 10th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article ich.edu>, Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Erik Meltzer wrote:
>
>>> And you can still get a new A1 Golf (hatchback or pickup truck) in
>>> South Africa

>> I know. And even aircooled, rear-engined Transporters from Brazil (but
>> not for much longer: they're switching to watercooled engines).

> So, 1976 finally arrives in Brazil, eh?

Maybe in VWs.

I say that because in the 70s, the ford maverick was sold in Brazil with
options (like a 4spd) that it didn't get in the USA.