Bicycle prohibition in Colorado

Old July 2nd 11, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alexander Rogge

Default Bicycle prohibition in Colorado

It appears that the hatred of bicyclists has reached a town of Colorado,
Black Hawk, where bicycles have been prohibited from the streets. A
protest was staged in Denver in response to this prohibition by the
Board of Aldermen in Black Hawk, who claimed that the prohibition was to
improve "safety" there.

Old July 2nd 11, 09:14 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Jul 2, 9:28*am, Alexander Rogge > wrote:
> It appears that the hatred of bicyclists has reached a town of Colorado,
> Black Hawk, where bicycles have been prohibited from the streets. *A
> protest was staged in Denver in response to this prohibition by the
> Board of Aldermen in Black Hawk, who claimed that the prohibition was to
> improve "safety" there.

I wonder what the courts will have to say about that. Do they allow
them on the sidewalks? That should never be allowed.

Harry K
Old July 4th 11, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-07-02, Harry K > wrote:
> On Jul 2, 9:28*am, Alexander Rogge > wrote:
>> It appears that the hatred of bicyclists has reached a town of Colorado,
>> Black Hawk, where bicycles have been prohibited from the streets. *A
>> protest was staged in Denver in response to this prohibition by the
>> Board of Aldermen in Black Hawk, who claimed that the prohibition was to
>> improve "safety" there.

> I wonder what the courts will have to say about that. Do they allow
> them on the sidewalks? That should never be allowed.

Usually the bicycle haters believe sidewalks are where bicycling
belongs. All of them should experience being buzzed by someone going
about 20mph on a bicycle. Then they would demand bicycle riding be done
on the road.

Old July 4th 11, 02:40 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
richard

On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 23:02:21 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

> On 2011-07-02, Harry K > wrote:
>> On Jul 2, 9:28*am, Alexander Rogge > wrote:
>>> It appears that the hatred of bicyclists has reached a town of Colorado,
>>> Black Hawk, where bicycles have been prohibited from the streets. *A
>>> protest was staged in Denver in response to this prohibition by the
>>> Board of Aldermen in Black Hawk, who claimed that the prohibition was to
>>> improve "safety" there.

>> I wonder what the courts will have to say about that. Do they allow
>> them on the sidewalks? That should never be allowed.

> Usually the bicycle haters believe sidewalks are where bicycling
> belongs. All of them should experience being buzzed by someone going
> about 20mph on a bicycle. Then they would demand bicycle riding be done
> on the road.

That may also depend on the community and laws.
Where I used to live, we had sidewalks almost everywhere and it was highly
frowned upon that you rode in the streets.
A deputy sheriff friend of mine once told me that even a powered minibike
was allowed on the sidewalks as long as the speed was kept under 25mph.

In California, bikers feel they have the ultimate right of way and are not
subject to vehicle laws. Such as stopping for a stop sign.

Judge Wapner once had a case involving a biker who had struck the passenger
car door as the car was legally parked. The biker tried to claim, reading
the law, that he had the ROW. But Wapner said no. Wapner slapped the biker
good telling him he also had the duty to avoid such obstacles in his path.
Old July 4th 11, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-07-04, richard > wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 23:02:21 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

>>> I wonder what the courts will have to say about that. Do they allow
>>> them on the sidewalks? That should never be allowed.

>> Usually the bicycle haters believe sidewalks are where bicycling
>> belongs. All of them should experience being buzzed by someone going
>> about 20mph on a bicycle. Then they would demand bicycle riding be done
>> on the road.

> That may also depend on the community and laws.
> Where I used to live, we had sidewalks almost everywhere and it was highly
> frowned upon that you rode in the streets.

Dangerous.

> A deputy sheriff friend of mine once told me that even a powered minibike
> was allowed on the sidewalks as long as the speed was kept under 25mph.

That's completely idiotic.

> In California, bikers feel they have the ultimate right of way and are not
> subject to vehicle laws. Such as stopping for a stop sign.

I see drivers blow stop signs just as often and at the same speeds.

Old July 4th 11, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
richard

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 02:27:59 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

> On 2011-07-04, richard > wrote:

>>> Usually the bicycle haters believe sidewalks are where bicycling
>>> belongs. All of them should experience being buzzed by someone going
>>> about 20mph on a bicycle. Then they would demand bicycle riding be done
>>> on the road.

>> That may also depend on the community and laws.
>> Where I used to live, we had sidewalks almost everywhere and it was highly
>> frowned upon that you rode in the streets.

> Dangerous.
>
>> A deputy sheriff friend of mine once told me that even a powered minibike
>> was allowed on the sidewalks as long as the speed was kept under 25mph.

> That's completely idiotic.
>
>> In California, bikers feel they have the ultimate right of way and are not
>> subject to vehicle laws. Such as stopping for a stop sign.

> I see drivers blow stop signs just as often and at the same speeds.

yeah and a lot of them have nice big blue and red lights on the top of the
car too.
Old July 5th 11, 08:53 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"Brent" > wrote in message
> On 2011-07-02, Harry K > wrote:
>> On Jul 2, 9:28 am, Alexander Rogge > wrote:
>>> It appears that the hatred of bicyclists has reached a town of Colorado,
>>> Black Hawk, where bicycles have been prohibited from the streets. A
>>> protest was staged in Denver in response to this prohibition by the
>>> Board of Aldermen in Black Hawk, who claimed that the prohibition was to
>>> improve "safety" there.

>> I wonder what the courts will have to say about that. Do they allow
>> them on the sidewalks? That should never be allowed.

> Usually the bicycle haters believe sidewalks are where bicycling
> belongs. All of them should experience being buzzed by someone going
> about 20mph on a bicycle. Then they would demand bicycle riding be done
> on the road.

Nope, they can ride on the sidewalk and--like it is posted in beach areas
where bicycles and pedestrians share the same path--the bicyclists can keep
to a reasonable 8 mph speed in areas where pedestrians are visible.

Old July 5th 11, 08:55 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"Brent" > wrote in message
> On 2011-07-04, richard > wrote:

>>> Usually the bicycle haters believe sidewalks are where bicycling
>>> belongs. All of them should experience being buzzed by someone going
>>> about 20mph on a bicycle. Then they would demand bicycle riding be done
>>> on the road.

>> That may also depend on the community and laws.
>> Where I used to live, we had sidewalks almost everywhere and it was
>> highly
>> frowned upon that you rode in the streets.

> Dangerous.

Apparently, not in areas in San Diego where those who use the sidewalks when
bicycling do so competently. Must be a midwest problem?

>> A deputy sheriff friend of mine once told me that even a powered minibike
>> was allowed on the sidewalks as long as the speed was kept under 25mph.

> That's completely idiotic.

No it's not, not in areas where the posted vehicular speed limit is greater
than 25mph.

>> In California, bikers feel they have the ultimate right of way and are
>> not
>> subject to vehicle laws. Such as stopping for a stop sign.

> I see drivers blow stop signs just as often and at the same speeds.

That doesn't mean the bicyclists can just ride through red lights and stop
signs as the currently do now.

Old July 5th 11, 08:56 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"richard" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 02:27:59 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

>>> That may also depend on the community and laws.
>>> Where I used to live, we had sidewalks almost everywhere and it was
>>> highly
>>> frowned upon that you rode in the streets.

>> Dangerous.
>>
>>> A deputy sheriff friend of mine once told me that even a powered
>>> minibike
>>> was allowed on the sidewalks as long as the speed was kept under 25mph.

>> That's completely idiotic.
>>
>>> In California, bikers feel they have the ultimate right of way and are
>>> not
>>> subject to vehicle laws. Such as stopping for a stop sign.

>> I see drivers blow stop signs just as often and at the same speeds.

> yeah and a lot of them have nice big blue and red lights on the top of the
> car too.

Well, those some vehicles often stop, turn on lights and sirens--although
some don't even use the siren--and then run the red and switch off the
lights/sirens. Bicyclists often just continue at speed through the stop sign
or red light.

Old July 5th 11, 01:25 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

On 7/5/2011 3:55 AM, Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:
> "Brent" > wrote in message
>> On 2011-07-04, richard > wrote:

>>> A deputy sheriff friend of mine once told me that even a powered
>>> minibike
>>> was allowed on the sidewalks as long as the speed was kept under 25mph.

>> That's completely idiotic.
>>

> No it's not, not in areas where the posted vehicular speed limit is
> greater than 25mph.

It definitely is. A cyclist is moving anywhere from 10 to 30 mph.
Pedestrians go 2 to 4 mph. Cars go 25 to 40 mph. On roads, the general
rule is keep right, pass left. On sidewalks, there is no such rule.
Cars and cyclists nominally signal turns in advance, pedestrians do not.