New Texas speed limit. YES!

Old April 15th 11, 04:43 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

Default New Texas speed limit. YES!

From the local county weekly gazette 4-14011:

"The Texas legislature is closing in on approval of a measure that
would raise speed limits on Lone Star State highways to 85 mph, the
highes posted speed in the U.S. and second-highest in the world. Some
motoraws in Poland are posted 150 km, or 86 mph."

I used to hate the drive from west Tx to the east Tx border - mile
after mile of nothing boring along at 65. (60 in the double nickel
days).

Harry K
Old April 15th 11, 05:13 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Lil Abner

On 4/14/2011 11:43 PM, Harry K wrote:
> From the local county weekly gazette 4-14011:
>
> "The Texas legislature is closing in on approval of a measure that
> would raise speed limits on Lone Star State highways to 85 mph, the
> highes posted speed in the U.S. and second-highest in the world. Some
> motoraws in Poland are posted 150 km, or 86 mph."
>
> I used to hate the drive from west Tx to the east Tx border - mile
> after mile of nothing boring along at 65. (60 in the double nickel
> days).
>
> Harry K

I was cited for reckless driving, many moons ago, for doing 70, in a 55
zone, a day, after the national double nickle took effect.
The Judge threw it out.
It is amazing how rationalization works. Guilt by declaration, of
politicians and special interest (meddlers who can't run their own lives
but want to herd the rest of the country).
I remember the Cadillac with DNC plate blasting past at over 140mph.
The Trooper just looked.
The personalized plate on a Volvo blasting through a school zone, the
day after election.
The gray Volvo that passed us every morning, for years, at over 100,
siren and lights, late, for Fed court.
The State House and Senate plates cruising to session at 100, 120, or
whatever they wanted to go. Not all did, there were and are many good
Citizens.
The big red Olds rolling along at 150 or so, with the suit, at the wheel.
I have no problem with reasoned speed limits. Drive at them mostly.
I'm sick of "society" I guess.
Next time I come back from Canada and see the weather turning south of
the Laurentine( spelling might be wrong) shield, I might just go back
and find a cave.

Old April 16th 11, 11:25 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alexander Rogge

On 4/15/11 4:13 AM, Lil Abner wrote:

> The gray Volvo that passed us every morning, for years, at over 100,
> siren and lights, late, for Fed court.
> The State House and Senate plates cruising to session at 100, 120, or
> whatever they wanted to go.
> The big red Olds rolling along at 150 or so, with the suit, at the wheel.

A problem is that crashing quickly can kill, if some irate MFFY or
oblivious LLB causes you to ram it at 150+. If everyone followed the
behaviour of KRETP, always yielded the proper right-of-way in the
passing lane and at intersections, and concentrated on driving instead
of the mobile phone, it would be possible to drive at faster speeds
without the unusual risks of a collision.