[OT] F1 Qualifying... run that past me again

Old March 20th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default [OT] F1 Qualifying... run that past me again

B Wegner wrote:
> (...)
> BTW, how many years after WW2 did it take to stop the smattering of
> guerilla-like violence from Nazis and their sympathizers? 10-15?

Since you asked, violence stopped pretty quickly (in a matter of days)
in western Europe after the fall of Berlin. The fact that the war was
fought against an organised army contributed to that, of course, as did
the beginning of a long stand-off between what was to become NATO and
the USSR. Also no real nation-building effort was necessary, since the
war had erupted between well organised nation-states (except for the
Balkans).

BTW, the birth of the ECSC (European Coal and Steel Community, a baby
European Union), occured only 6 years after the war which was quite a
feat considering centuries of animosity between european nation-states.

Having said that, I don't think it makes much sense to compare Iraq to
Europe or Japan after WWII, or to Vietnam. As I said before Operation
Iraqi Freedom, think about another Lebanon (in the 80's). In fact, the
analogy is even more accurate today: you just have to replace Israel by
the US and Syria by Iran.

In any case, I blame Eccelstone for this thread.

Regards,
Mr. Sylvestre
Old March 20th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Mitch,

Have you ever thought of starting a blog ? Please, do.

Mr. S.
Old March 20th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default F1 Qualifying... run that past me again

Agreed. They should be on my list.

-Larry

Old March 20th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I actually liked that show too.

The latest SciFi channel trio aren't bad either, but their seasons are too
damned short.

-Larry

. 97.136...

Old March 20th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I can't believe I forgot Monk

-Larry

Old March 20th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Bruce Kennewell" > writes:

> Very, very true.
> And, right now, because of this very fact, tens of thousands of Britons
> think that every Australian walks around saying "bloody hell!" in every
> sentence we utter to each other.

You don't?! But, you are all named Bruce, aren't you?

/Andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old March 20th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> Firefly. A cute cuddlely Sci-Fi/Western/Chinese/Comedy/Action show.

And I could look at & listen to Gina Torres all day...

Old March 21st 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Well, yes, there is that take on it, certainly.

But then a similar thing could be said about the Titanic; the Captain, crew and passengers did a marvellous job, even though the designer let them down slightly.

Bruce

With 20/20 hindsight history still shows that the U.S. military forces did a great job in Vietnam against guerilla warriors despite the political upheaval and lack of battlefield doctrine for jungle warfare. The US did not lose a single major battle in Vietnam (you can look that up) - the war was lost on the political side. Would you not say that the military did a great job despite the lack of support for it?
Old March 21st 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>But then a similar thing could be said about the Titanic; the >Captain, crew and passengers did a marvellous job, even though >the designer let them down slightly.

Especially if you leave out that
full-steam-ahead-thru-an-icefield-at-night bit...

Old March 21st 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>But then a similar thing could be said about the Titanic; the Captain, crew and passengers did a >marvellous job, even though the designer let them down slightly.

Despite that full-steam-ahead thru an icefield bit....