Which would you rather have, a "Porsche" 914 (VW in Europe), a Beetle,or a Ghia of the same year?

Old November 6th 11, 09:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
David Gravereaux

Default Which would you rather have, a "Porsche" 914 (VW in Europe),a Beetle, or a Ghia of the same year?

On 11/05/2011 04:24 AM, KWW wrote:
> On 11/2/2011 9:43 PM, David Gravereaux wrote:
>> I'd choose to put the 914 engine in a beetle.
>>

> How about one of those Type 4 Raby engines?

Yup, got one already. one of his 2270C motors

Old November 10th 11, 05:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

On 11/4/2011 12:47 PM, Randall wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 7:10 PM, Jan Andersson wrote:
>> On 10/7/2011 6:50 PM, Max wrote:
>>> I have a 67 KG coupe, a 63 baja and a 68 type-3 squareback. I have
>>> daily-driven all of them over the years.
>>>
>>> The KG was my DD in California up to 2000, and I finally took it off
>>> the road for a through R&R. It was starting to show all the miles.
>>>
>>> The baja was the designated winter sloppy-weather car for seven years,
>>> and remains on standby if needed. It will climb trees with studded
>>> snow tires. Cheap fiberglass body-parts mean I don't mind throwing it
>>> around. No worries. Incredible in the snow and ice.
>>>
>>> But the type-3 is just a better all-around car. It is more heavily
>>> built, quieter and has better heat. It has more room for luggage and
>>> can carry four people. It's also a great cross-country car and will
>>> sustain true freeway speeds all the way from Colorado to Oregon to
>>> Phoenix and back home.
>>>
>>> PS: the KG is coming back soon as a "flashy lady". Less practical and
>>> more fun. No more nasty weather for her. ;-)
>>>
>>> Max

>> Since the 914 is on the list, it sort of excludes the older body style
>> Ghia, if we were to stay within the same year/decade. I would then pick
>> the 914. If year was not a limiting factor, I'd go for the early Ghia.
>> 64 or so.
>>
>> Jan

> I would go for the 914 if it had a -6 attached to it like this one
> http://www.leftcoastclassics.com/1970-porsche-914-6/, but only if the -6
> didn't need to be rebuilt ($$$$).
>
> If the Ghia had everything that this Ghia does:
> http://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=170
> then I would be happy, but not if it cost me $260,000!
>
> Jan, did the Virginia snow last week remind you of your homeland? I know
> it was only about 6 inches deep but snow is snow.
>
> Randall

HA! Yes it did... I had to use chains to make it up to my house....
Pricing winter tires right now.. was tempted to go with some aggressive
M/T tires, but those aren't really optimized for winter... when most of
my driving is on plowed roads. Probably going with Hankook I-Pikes..

Jan
Old November 11th 11, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Max[_4_]

On Nov 9, 10:52*pm, Jan Andersson >
wrote:
> On 11/4/2011 12:47 PM, Randall wrote:

> >> Since the 914 is on the list, it sort of excludes the older body style
> >> Ghia, if we were to stay within the same year/decade. I would then pick
> >> the 914. If year was not a limiting factor, I'd go for the early Ghia.
> >> 64 or so.

> >> Jan

> > I would go for the 914 if it had a -6 attached to it like this one
> >http://www.leftcoastclassics.com/1970-porsche-914-6/, but only if the -6
> > didn't need to be rebuilt ($$$$).

> > If the Ghia had everything that this Ghia does:
> >http://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=170
> > then I would be happy, but not if it cost me $260,000!

> > Jan, did the Virginia snow last week remind you of your homeland? I know
> > it was only about 6 inches deep but snow is snow.

> > Randall

> HA! Yes it did... I had to use chains to make it up to my house....
> Pricing winter tires right now.. was tempted to go with some aggressive
> M/T tires, but those aren't really optimized for winter... when most of
> my driving is on plowed roads. Probably going with Hankook I-Pikes..
>
> Jan

Jan, I'm really liking the Bridgestone Blizzaks I have on my
squareback.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Blizzak+W S70

Max