'bench starting' a newly rebuilt engine

Old June 14th 11, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mel P.[_2_]

Default 'bench starting' a newly rebuilt engine

I FINALLY finished rebuilding a 66, 6 volt engine. Did the whole split case
thing. Converted it to a 12 volt. Changed the camshaft and flywheel,
bearings...
Gapped the points and valves.

I'm trying to start it but nothing. I got spark. I've tried spraying gas
or starter fluid into the carb, still nothing.
I checked the plug wiring (sequence) and believe it's OK.

What should I check or could be doing wrong?

tia
--
Mel P.
77 FI Bug

Old June 14th 11, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John Henderson

Mel P. wrote:

> I FINALLY finished rebuilding a 66, 6 volt engine. Did the whole split case
> thing. Converted it to a 12 volt. Changed the camshaft and flywheel,
> bearings...
> Gapped the points and valves.
>
> I'm trying to start it but nothing. I got spark. I've tried spraying gas
> or starter fluid into the carb, still nothing.
> I checked the plug wiring (sequence) and believe it's OK.
>

> What should I check or could be doing wrong?

Is the spark firing at the right time? Is the distributor drive
pinion meshing with the crankshaft so as to give the correct
ignition timing?

John
Old June 15th 11, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mel P.[_2_]

I think so...
I got it to almost kick over once. Maybe I need to squirt more gas in carb

--
Mel

Old July 9th 11, 06:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Jun 14, 6:41 pm, "Mel P." > wrote:
> I think so...
> I got it to almost kick over once. Maybe I need to squirt more gas in carb
>
> --
> Mel
>
> "John Henderson" > wrote in message

> > Mel P. wrote:

> >> I FINALLY finished rebuilding a 66, 6 volt engine. Did the whole split
> >> case
> >> thing. Converted it to a 12 volt. Changed the camshaft and flywheel,
> >> bearings...
> >> Gapped the points and valves.

> >> I'm trying to start it but nothing. I got spark. I've tried spraying
> >> gas
> >> or starter fluid into the carb, still nothing.
> >> I checked the plug wiring (sequence) and believe it's OK.

> >> What should I check or could be doing wrong?

> > Is the spark firing at the right time? Is the distributor drive
> > pinion meshing with the crankshaft so as to give the correct
> > ignition timing?

> > John

Once you do get it running, run the engine at at least 2,000 rpm for
20-25 minutes, to break in your new cam, and "work harden" it to the
lifters (which I assume are new as well)
It will be the longest, loudest, 20 minutes of your life, it will
sound like it is going to explode.... it won't. It's important to do
this.
Old July 19th 11, 06:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anandamide

In article
wrote:

> On Jun 14, 6:41 pm, "Mel P." > wrote:
> > I think so...
> > I got it to almost kick over once. Maybe I need to squirt more gas in carb
> >
> > --
> > Mel

> > > Is the spark firing at the right time? Is the distributor drive
> > > pinion meshing with the crankshaft so as to give the correct
> > > ignition timing?

> > > John

> Once you do get it running, run the engine at at least 2,000 rpm for
> 20-25 minutes, to break in your new cam, and "work harden" it to the
> lifters (which I assume are new as well)
> It will be the longest, loudest, 20 minutes of your life, it will
> sound like it is going to explode.... it won't. It's important to do
> this.

after such a bench run, it's probably a good time for another head
tightening. / valve adjustment. ? No?
--
Karma, What a concept!

Bench starting an engine w/o a muffler Mel[_3_] VW air cooled 2 December 8th 09 08:33 PM
Recipe for a Coming National Crime Wave: 1. Saute 1 economic collapse. 2. Add 1 gun-grabbing left-wing "black" president. 3. Blend in terrorist pals, millions of newly-"empowered" ghetto blacks + 25 million newly amnestied [email protected] Driving 0 November 9th 08 09:12 AM
Cressida w/newly rebuilt engine suddenly developed a miss Doc Technology 12 December 12th 07 02:05 PM
rebuilt engine jeep Jeep 0 November 26th 07 01:11 AM
Newly Rebuilt 1966 Engine Oil Leak [email protected] VW air cooled 3 March 11th 05 11:32 PM