problems with car in storage for decades?

Old September 14th 10, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Orson Cart

Default problems with car in storage for decades?

I found a limited-edition muscle car that has been sitting
in a garage since 1984, when the owner died. Don't worry, nobody is
swindling some old widow - she knows the cars is worth 6 figures.
Obviously the rubber bits will need replacing. I think most parts for
this car are available (apart from the 8-track cartridge player!).
I noticed the brake fluid was empty; must have seeped out somewhere
in 26 years. What happens to an engine that hasn't turned over for
so long - are there any risks?

Old September 14th 10, 08:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Sep 14, 1:01*am, "Orson Cart" > wrote:
> * * * * * * I found a limited-edition muscle car that has been sitting
> in a garage since 1984, when the owner died. Don't worry, nobody is
> swindling some old widow - she knows the cars is worth 6 figures.
> Obviously the rubber bits will need replacing. I think most parts for
> this car are available (apart from the 8-track cartridge player!).
> I noticed the brake fluid was empty; must have seeped out somewhere
> in 26 years. What happens to an engine that hasn't turned over for
> so long - are there any risks?

drain the old oil, and put in some new stuff. Turn the crank by hand
to make sure the motor will still move. Drain any old fuel out, but a
new battery in and fire her up!

I worked on a MR2 that was sitting for 15 years. It even barely ran
with the old fuel in it. I was surprised as hell.. Nothing leaked.
Old September 14th 10, 01:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Orson Cart" > wrote in message

> Don't worry, nobody is
> swindling some old widow - she knows the cars is worth 6 figures.

Lots of times little old people think their possessions are worth six
figures
and they really arent.

What is the car?

As another posted, put in new oil, check the coolant, and fresh gas, and see
if you can start this thing.

Old September 14th 10, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Airport Shuttle[_18_]

--
Airport Shuttle

'' (http://www.yourcityride.com)
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Old September 15th 10, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
chuckcar

"Orson Cart" > wrote in
:

> I found a limited-edition muscle car that has been sitting
> in a garage since 1984, when the owner died. Don't worry, nobody is
> swindling some old widow - she knows the cars is worth 6 figures.
> Obviously the rubber bits will need replacing. I think most parts for
> this car are available (apart from the 8-track cartridge player!).
> I noticed the brake fluid was empty; must have seeped out somewhere
> in 26 years. What happens to an engine that hasn't turned over for
> so long - are there any risks?

Perhaps someones seen too many episodes of The Barrett Jackson Auction.
Those cars are in brand *new* condition or better and in most cases have
*all* the documentation right down to the bill of sale.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
Old September 15th 10, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 09/14/2010 01:01 AM, Orson Cart wrote:
> I found a limited-edition muscle car that has been sitting
> in a garage since 1984, when the owner died. Don't worry, nobody is
> swindling some old widow - she knows the cars is worth 6 figures.
> Obviously the rubber bits will need replacing. I think most parts for
> this car are available (apart from the 8-track cartridge player!).
> I noticed the brake fluid was empty; must have seeped out somewhere
> in 26 years. What happens to an engine that hasn't turned over for
> so long - are there any risks?

before you even try the engine, you'll want to make sure it will STOP if
you do get it started... so you'll want to completely go through the
brakes, including replacing the hoses and replacing or rebuilding any
hydraulic cylinder. Then stand on the pedal as hard as you can to find
any soft spots in the hard lines.

After you do that, you'll want to replace all belts, hoses, and fluids.
Oil, coolant, whatever's in the transmission, gear oil in the rear
end, power steering fluid if applicable, repack the wheel bearings while
you're doing the brakes.

Don't be surprised if any rotating accessories (alternator, water pump,
etc.) give up the ghost shortly after resurrection. Bearings and seals
don't like to sit for long periods of time.

After you've got through all that, pull the distributor and spin the oil
pump to get oil through all the whirly bits of the engine. Use a long
screwdriver chucked in a cordless drill, or for common engines purpose
made tools for this job are available. Keep it spinning until pressure
shows on the gauge plus a little more.

Now you're ready to reinstall the distributor and try to start it... if
it uses a points type distributor you will probably need to at least
file the points as they will have oxidized...

THEN if it runs, moves, and stops you can start seeing what else it needs...

good luck

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old September 15th 10, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> On 09/14/2010 01:01 AM, Orson Cart wrote:
>> I found a limited-edition muscle car that has been sitting
>> in a garage since 1984, when the owner died. Don't worry, nobody is
>> swindling some old widow - she knows the cars is worth 6 figures.
>> Obviously the rubber bits will need replacing. I think most parts for
>> this car are available (apart from the 8-track cartridge player!).
>> I noticed the brake fluid was empty; must have seeped out somewhere
>> in 26 years. What happens to an engine that hasn't turned over for
>> so long - are there any risks?
>>

> before you even try the engine, you'll want to make sure it will STOP if
> you do get it started...

I wouldnt spend the time and money to re-do all that until I found out if
the
engine will basically start. But if it DOES start, then you have given him
a good check list of expense items before he can drive it.

I still want to know what sort of six figure car this is... is that in
Pesos???
Or has he found something really hot?

Old September 15th 10, 03:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Put a little of oil in the spark plug holes, clean and gap the spark
plugs, or replace as needed, check the contact points.Fresh gas, a good
battery.See if the engine will run.
What car is it?
cuhulin

Old September 15th 10, 03:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

> wrote in message

> What car is it?
> cuhulin

That is what we are all wondering.. OP does not answer..
Maybe fictional.

Old September 15th 10, 04:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Jay Leno bought an old Dusenberg car from a woman.That car had been
sitting in that garage for many, many years.He/they tried to get the
engine running before they loaded it on a trailer and hauled it away.

A few months ago, I read about a British built car in England that had
been sitting up since the 1930's.They put in some fresh gas and hooked
up a battery.That car started right up.Usually, old Detroit Iron will
start right up too after sitting up for many years.
cuhulin