Blue Loctite Removal - Help Please!

Old August 6th 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Blue Loctite Removal - Help Please!

Hello!
How do you chemically remove 'Blue Loctite'?

I applied some to the terminals on my VDO dual terminal oil pressure
sender to prevent the two round fastener nuts from coming loose.

I broke my other oil pressure sender when I tried to remove the same
nuts. They had been overtightened.

I was thinking of using a few drops of carb cleaner to remove the
Loctite and/or heat it first with a hot air gun before attempting
removal of the round terminal
fasteners.

I was thinking of doing this first on a small nut and bolt to see how
it works.

TIA
Any help is appreciated!
Old August 6th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Hmmmm Blue Loctite should not be that hard to remove.
Chemicals like maybe Acetone (fingernail polish remover) might work but
getting it inbetween a stud and nut might require soaking.
Yes a soldering gun heating up the nut should help. ;-)

WOW is that Speedy Jim back? One of your first posts that is always
helpful! ;-)
Welcome back and keep 'em coming!
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

"Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
>> Hello!
>> How do you chemically remove 'Blue Loctite'?

snip

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old August 6th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Michael Cecil

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 09:56:10 -0400, Speedy Jim >

>> Hello!
>> How do you chemically remove 'Blue Loctite'?
>>
>> I applied some to the terminals on my VDO dual terminal oil pressure
>> sender to prevent the two round fastener nuts from coming loose.
>>
>> I broke my other oil pressure sender when I tried to remove the same
>> nuts. They had been overtightened.
>>
>> I was thinking of using a few drops of carb cleaner to remove the
>> Loctite and/or heat it first with a hot air gun before attempting
>> removal of the round terminal
>> fasteners.
>>
>> I was thinking of doing this first on a small nut and bolt to see how
>> it works.
>>
>> TIA
>> Any help is appreciated!

> If the heat gun doesn't work,
> I would try a soldering iron/gun to apply
> localized heat to the brass nut.
>
> A soldering gun could have the copper heating
> "loop" trimmed/shaped to fit in the tight space.
>
>Speedy Jim
>http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

I've used acetone to clean up blue loctite but it might not penetrate into
the threads much.
--
Michael Cecil
http://macecil.googlepages.com/index.htm

EVS removal Don Jones Jeep 0 March 7th 07 01:07 AM
Tar removal J J Technology 2 January 15th 07 03:07 PM
cyl head removal and oil pan removal. mikestp Mazda 23 January 10th 07 03:02 AM
cyl head removal and oil pan removal. mikestp Mazda 0 January 3rd 07 09:06 AM
A2 A/C removal Chris VW water cooled 0 September 20th 05 01:06 AM