"TRANS PROGRAM" on E34 w/ 237K

Old November 3rd 04, 12:20 PM
Chip L

Default "TRANS PROGRAM" on E34 w/ 237K

I have a '93 E34 automatic with 237,000 miles. The "TRANS PROGRAM" has come
on occasionally over the years - always a quick reset.

This time its different. The trans shift to limp mode and will not stay
reset.

The engine and transmission have operated properly to date. Even today,
when the T P error is not displayed, the tranny seems to operator fine. The
engine and tranny are original.

I have a respected BMW mechanic who has maintained my cars for years. Does
he have the technical capabilites to correct or should I head to the dealer
(ouch!)

Chip L

Old November 3rd 04, 01:22 PM
Dick Schneiders

I have 2, 1991 525i's that have the same tranny as yours if your car is also a
525i. If so, then it is a GM made tranny. If not, then it will be a ZF
tranny.

A few years ago, one of my 525i's showed the same problems you are relating.
The tranny seemed fine, but the Trans Prog message would come on the display on
a regular basis. My mechanic replaced some electronic sensor in the
transmission and that solved the problem. I am sorry that I don't have the
specific information as to what the sensor was, but it was something that was
causing the Trans Prog message and not anything wrong with the tranny itself.
It was a fairly expensive sensor, about $400, but was not all that difficult
for him to replace. I had several other items worked on at the same time, so
it would be difficult to isolate the costs for this one repair.

However, before you start thinking about the need to replace the transmisison,
you should look into this possibility.

Dick Schneiders

Old November 3rd 04, 02:08 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Chip L > wrote:
> I have a '93 E34 automatic with 237,000 miles. The "TRANS PROGRAM" has
> come on occasionally over the years - always a quick reset.

> This time its different. The trans shift to limp mode and will not stay
> reset.

> The engine and transmission have operated properly to date. Even today,
> when the T P error is not displayed, the tranny seems to operator fine.
> The engine and tranny are original.

First thing to check is that the battery volts are correct with the engine
running, and that there's not appreciable voltage drop in the wiring and
connectors to the gearbox. It seems to be the most sensitive thing in
these cars to this being low.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old November 3rd 04, 02:24 PM
Chip L

Thanks Dick. While the car has a ton of miles, the sensor diagnosis makes
sense (no pun!) as the tranny seem to work fine except when the error kicks
in. I would think that if the tranny was shot, it would be slipping all the
time.

Old November 3rd 04, 06:28 PM
Dick Schneiders

Dave,

Yes, that is very true. I should have thought of that. I never had this
happen to my cars, but have read about it several places. However, would the
car actually go into the limp mode if this was the problem? It seems to my
feeble memory that the message would occur but the tranny would not go into
limp mode when this was the cause.

Certainly this should be the first thing checked, though.

Dick Schneiders

Old November 3rd 04, 06:50 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Dick Schneiders > wrote:
> Yes, that is very true. I should have thought of that. I never had
> this happen to my cars, but have read about it several places. However,
> would the car actually go into the limp mode if this was the problem?
> It seems to my feeble memory that the message would occur but the tranny
> would not go into limp mode when this was the cause.

When the alternator on my E34 died, and I carried on on battery only (in
daylight) to get to work, the transmission going into limp home mode was
the first real symptom. Followed by the engine dying about a half hour
later. At a busy road junction. ;-(

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up