HELP!

Old June 28th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default HELP!

miker wrote:

> That's lame; couldn't they just legislate that it never fails?
>
> miker

That would be cool, especially if the law required the stealership to
replace any that fail before then. Not that it would help me here.

Now that my experience has been to have one timing belt fail very
prematurely, but to have never had one fail myself on any car, including
a Celica with over 150K miles on it, I am tempted to just let the proved
belt stay until the damn thing breaks.

Nah, not really...Whatever happened, defective belt, frozen tensioners,
etc., this was just bad luck.

Pat
Old June 28th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

On Jun 28, 6:51 am, pws > wrote:
> Jazz_Azz wrote:
> > We have three cars, and I split the load between them all. Although I
> > only drive two of them, my S10 P/U and the Miata. LOL>My Wife can not
> > drive the stick>>LOL.

> > I bought the Miata in June of 2000 as a retirement gift to myself.
> > Then the next month, in July it took a big trip to the Grand Canyon,
> > through the Mojave Desert, etc. That was a blast. Now it usually gets
> > fired up once per week, to keep the battery going, or is one of two
> > out of town cars, to the beach cars. A run down to Pismo Beach no less
> > than once per year, a 4 1/2 hr. drive. If I give up driving at 80,
> > like my Dad did, maybe I'll never get to the point of it needing a new
> > timing belt/water pump.(58 this Sunday). Will the water pump last
> > longer, like over 100K mi. if one is excellent about having the
> > cooling system fully power flushed on a regular basis??

> > Sorry I might have messed up and this may appear twice.

> Yeah, just rub it in. ;-)
>
> The miata is a great daily driver for some people, but I am finding that
> I need more room much more frequently than before.
>
> The only way that I will be able to keep a miata is if I can afford two
> cars. Otherwise I will have to drive something relatively boring for a
> while.
>
> As far as the miata water pump, I have seen one fail as early as 86K
> miles and one that was still going at 150K miles.
> I have seen people here with low-mileage 1990-1997 miatas asking about
> the belt and the general feeling seems to be that it should be replaced
> at about 10 years or so even if it isn't approaching 60K miles.
>
> If it sits in an environment where it doesn't get very hot or cold when
> not in use, I would be a bit less concerned about it, and maybe just let
> it go.
>
> As always, YMMV
>
> Pat

Ours is always garaged when not in use. Although our garage is not
sheet rocked and can get a bit warm in summer and cold in winter. But
not getting the direct hot rays of the sun, sitting outside, like many
cars.

Old June 28th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

On Jun 28, 8:29 am, Jazz_Azz > wrote:
> On Jun 28, 6:51 am, pws > wrote:
>

> > Jazz_Azz wrote:
> > > We have three cars, and I split the load between them all. Although I
> > > only drive two of them, my S10 P/U and the Miata. LOL>My Wife can not
> > > drive the stick>>LOL.

> > > I bought the Miata in June of 2000 as a retirement gift to myself.
> > > Then the next month, in July it took a big trip to the Grand Canyon,
> > > through the Mojave Desert, etc. That was a blast. Now it usually gets
> > > fired up once per week, to keep the battery going, or is one of two
> > > out of town cars, to the beach cars. A run down to Pismo Beach no less
> > > than once per year, a 4 1/2 hr. drive. If I give up driving at 80,
> > > like my Dad did, maybe I'll never get to the point of it needing a new
> > > timing belt/water pump.(58 this Sunday). Will the water pump last
> > > longer, like over 100K mi. if one is excellent about having the
> > > cooling system fully power flushed on a regular basis??

> > > Sorry I might have messed up and this may appear twice.

> > Yeah, just rub it in. ;-)

> > The miata is a great daily driver for some people, but I am finding that
> > I need more room much more frequently than before.

> > The only way that I will be able to keep a miata is if I can afford two
> > cars. Otherwise I will have to drive something relatively boring for a
> > while.

> > As far as the miata water pump, I have seen one fail as early as 86K
> > miles and one that was still going at 150K miles.
> > I have seen people here with low-mileage 1990-1997 miatas asking about
> > the belt and the general feeling seems to be that it should be replaced
> > at about 10 years or so even if it isn't approaching 60K miles.

> > If it sits in an environment where it doesn't get very hot or cold when
> > not in use, I would be a bit less concerned about it, and maybe just let
> > it go.

> > As always, YMMV

> > Pat

> Ours is always garaged when not in use. Although our garage is not
> sheet rocked and can get a bit warm in summer and cold in winter. But
> not getting the direct hot rays of the sun, sitting outside, like many
> cars.

P.S. The smog part of the warranty is more generous, I believe here in
Calif. Without going out to the gargae to check, I think that it is
something like 7 yrs/70,000 mi. or maybe even 8 yrs/80,000 mi. But
definitely not the 105K they say, to replace the timing belt. Our 94
Chevy S10 P/U sits outside cause we only have a two car garage. And
its' miles is around 47,000. I don't even quite hit 3K per year, just
under. So I make sure that I do not go past a year to get the oil
changed, etc. Thank goodness, that 4 cylinder engine has a timing
chain, NOT a belt. One reason I chose that truck over a Ford Ranger
back in 94.