Storage Options For Hard Top TJ Storage Other Than Hanging From Ceiling

Old May 16th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Rickster the Jeepster

Default Storage Options For Hard Top TJ Storage Other Than Hanging From Ceiling

I have researched most of the hanging options for suspending a
Wrangler TJ Harptop from the garage ceiling. For me at 6'7" tall,
that it is a very bad idea in my garage with a sheet rocked finished
ceiling, for obvious reasons.

Now I am looking for folks that have a great idea for successfully
storing them upright along the garage wall. Is it a pain to remove
the back window or is this not neccessary. All ideas are appreciated
& welcome.

Old May 16th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_19_]

I installed a hard top hoist in a garage with a finished sheet rocked
ceiling, with no real problems. You have to know where the ceiling studs
are, that is all. It is a pain to remove the back window, and not
necessary. Storing upright, even along a wall, is going to put stresses on
the hard top that it may not be able to handle without warping. I have mine
on a platform that sits on saw horses, that disassembles for compact
storage. If you make it the same height as the bottom of the installed top,
you can just slide it off and on the Jeep.

Earle

ups.com...

Old May 16th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
WTFdidyoudotothenewsgroups

On May 16, 10:59 am, "Earle Horton" > wrote:
> I installed a hard top hoist in a garage with a finished sheet rocked
> ceiling, with no real problems. You have to know where the ceiling studs
> are, that is all. It is a pain to remove the back window, and not
> necessary. Storing upright, even along a wall, is going to put stresses on
> the hard top that it may not be able to handle without warping. I have mine
> on a platform that sits on saw horses, that disassembles for compact
> storage. If you make it the same height as the bottom of the installed top,
> you can just slide it off and on the Jeep.
>
> Earle
>
> "Rickster the Jeepster" > wrote in oglegroups.com...
>

> > I have researched most of the hanging options for suspending a
> > Wrangler TJ Harptop from the garage ceiling. For me at 6'7" tall,
> > that it is a very bad idea in my garage with a sheet rocked finished
> > ceiling, for obvious reasons.

> > Now I am looking for folks that have a great idea for successfully
> > storing them upright along the garage wall. Is it a pain to remove
> > the back window or is this not neccessary. All ideas are appreciated
> > & welcome.- Hide quoted text -

You can build something like this:

http://www.baystatejeepers.proboards...d=11 73477391

May require registration, not sure. Basically the guy built a rack
attached to the wall of his garage and stands the hardtop up on the
back window, top to the wall. Has some straps or something to hold it
in places

Old May 17th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jbjeep

Earle, I think his point was that the pain was gonna be in his head.....every time he
hit it on the top. lol.
-jenn

On Wed, 16 May 2007 08:59:23 -0600, "Earle Horton" > wrote:

>>I installed a hard top hoist in a garage with a finished sheet rocked
>>ceiling, with no real problems. You have to know where the ceiling studs
>>are, that is all. It is a pain to remove the back window, and not
>>necessary. Storing upright, even along a wall, is going to put stresses on
>>the hard top that it may not be able to handle without warping. I have mine
>>on a platform that sits on saw horses, that disassembles for compact
>>storage. If you make it the same height as the bottom of the installed top,
>>you can just slide it off and on the Jeep.
>>
>>Earle

roups.com...

Old May 17th 07, 10:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Herb Leong

In article . com>,
#
#Now I am looking for folks that have a great idea for successfully
#storing them upright along the garage wall. Is it a pain to remove
#the back window or is this not neccessary. All ideas are appreciated
#& welcome.

I tried storing my YJ hardtop like that both with and without the rear
glass in place. I just proped up against the wall and put stuff in
front of it to keep it from sliding.

It worked, but would not recomend it as it scrached the hell out of my
rear window handel and the top portions that touch the floor. Note that
the TJ hard top does not have a handle or a lower frame piece on the rear
window, so it's gonna be glass against the floor. Unless you cover the
area you prop the top on with a mover's blanket, the top will be scrached,
with or without the glass in place.

/herb
Old May 18th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate

Hey Rick,
We built a cart, much like this one:
http://www.jeepworld.com/accessories/wrangler/dolly.htm
Only much sturdier.
We used nylon straps to hold it in place and then bought a painter's tarp to
cover it with and pinned it in place. It moves easily and works like a
charm.
It still gets in the way sometimes, but heck, it's a third of a Jeep, it's
going to be in the way no matter where you store it.
Eventually we plan on building a door rack that fits into it as well.

If you'd like to see it I posted a photo on
alt.binaries.pictures.autos

Titled:

Kate
2O||||||O6 Rubicon

corvette storage labtech1 Corvette 3 March 22nd 07 06:42 PM
YJ hard top storage ufatbastehd Jeep 8 April 4th 06 04:14 AM
Storage Sid54 Technology 4 September 26th 05 05:02 AM
Storage N93332 Mazda 0 August 30th 05 01:20 AM
740iL going into storage? [email protected] BMW 13 August 11th 05 02:46 AM