Accel Cable

Old August 2nd 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
cletus

Default Accel Cable

Dudes, Don't do it!
the other day my cable broke on the way home, whipped out the spare I have
caried for 15 years and 20 mins later, back on the road. Went to FLAPS to
get another spare and they talked me into the "universal" replacement,
stronger lasts longer etc... Well I decided to go ahead and install this
one since the end has to be snipped and allen wrench is needed to attach the
carb end, not something to do on the shoulder of the interstate... So this
morning I went for it. Lessons Learned:

1. Have some sharp snippers or you mangle the end and it won't fit into the
little attachment.
2. cut it to the right length the first time, no second chances
3.have 3 hands to get that little allen screw tight.
4. hopefully you didn't tighten the allen too much and actually push the
cable end out of the little attachment.
5. 2 hours later in the driveway went back to the orig. stock style and up
to FLAPS to get a proper spare.
Keep On Fweemin'

Old August 2nd 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> 1. Have some sharp snippers or you mangle the end and it won't fit into the
> little attachment.

One thing that has worked for me in the past is to apply solder at the
cut point prior to cutting. If you have flux for sweating pipes
together you can use some of that and a good electronics soldering
iron to flow some solder into the cable. Then when you cut the cable
it will not fray.

However, even if you do cut it perfectly without doing the solder bit
first, the problem with the universal cable is if you have to remove
it(engine pull perhaps?) you end up messing up the end of the cable
anyway when you take out the set screw. A stock cable is a lot better
in my opinion(as you found out).

Chris
Old August 2nd 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Cletus" > wrote in message
> Dudes, Don't do it!
> the other day my cable broke on the way home, whipped out the spare I have
> caried for 15 years and 20 mins later, back on the road. Went to FLAPS to
> get another spare and they talked me into the "universal" replacement,
> stronger lasts longer etc... Well I decided to go ahead and install this
> one since the end has to be snipped and allen wrench is needed to attach
> the carb end, not something to do on the shoulder of the interstate... So
> this morning I went for it. Lessons Learned:
>
> 1. Have some sharp snippers or you mangle the end and it won't fit into
> the little attachment.
> 2. cut it to the right length the first time, no second chances
> 3.have 3 hands to get that little allen screw tight.
> 4. hopefully you didn't tighten the allen too much and actually push the
> cable end out of the little attachment.
> 5. 2 hours later in the driveway went back to the orig. stock style and up
> to FLAPS to get a proper spare.
> Keep On Fweemin'

for a stock application, stock style cable is your best bet.... for years
i've been using non-stock carbs and such... making cables for my particular
application, and it's actually a breeze to do... i don't, however, use the
tiny 1/16" stock sized cable... universal sheaths, epoxy for the sheath
ends, 3/32 wire cable, some solder and good quality set screws are my
friends...

Old August 3rd 08, 12:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
none

I cut steel cable with my MIG welder - just crank it up and it welds the
ends together as it blasts through it

Rich
(Tricky)

Cletus wrote:
> Dudes, Don't do it!
> the other day my cable broke on the way home, whipped out the spare I have
> caried for 15 years and 20 mins later, back on the road. Went to FLAPS to
> get another spare and they talked me into the "universal" replacement,
> stronger lasts longer etc... Well I decided to go ahead and install this
> one since the end has to be snipped and allen wrench is needed to attach the
> carb end, not something to do on the shoulder of the interstate... So this
> morning I went for it. Lessons Learned:
>
> 1. Have some sharp snippers or you mangle the end and it won't fit into the
> little attachment.
> 2. cut it to the right length the first time, no second chances
> 3.have 3 hands to get that little allen screw tight.
> 4. hopefully you didn't tighten the allen too much and actually push the
> cable end out of the little attachment.
> 5. 2 hours later in the driveway went back to the orig. stock style and up
> to FLAPS to get a proper spare.
> Keep On Fweemin'

Whats the fastest accel car I can get for 50K? Dean Technology 13 May 9th 07 09:45 AM
accel. bowden tube Eddie VW air cooled 3 September 17th 06 06:07 PM
AWA [OFFER] ignition cable set, spark plug cable [email protected] General 0 March 14th 06 11:52 AM
AWA [OFFER] ignition cable, ignition cable set(Lada, Ford, Peugeot, Land Rover, Honda, [email protected] General 0 March 8th 06 01:02 AM
Reduced Accel around 50mph RossG Jeep 8 March 13th 05 03:06 AM