Don't believe Corvette owners lies about supposed fuel economy

Old May 15th 08, 02:14 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette,alt.autos.nissan
CardsFan

Default Corvette owners don't need to lie about supposed fuel economy

"Bob I" > wrote in message
news

> Josh S wrote:
>> In article >,
>> John Smith > wrote:
>>
>>> Well folks, this *IS* the truth. '98 roadster. On the highway w cruse
>>> set somewhere between 65 & 70 to FL and back to OH the 2,200 mile
>>> average was 30.21.

>> I believe you. Most mid to large sized cars get about that on the highway
>> if they have the correct gearing.
>> It's in urban driving with stop lights where they fall far behind smaller
>> engined vehicles.

> Actually it the mass required to be accelerated and how quickly it's done
> that determines urban mileage. Since the ****-ant engines in the smaller
> engined vehicles aren't capable of accelerating anything quickly it's
> simply more difficult to get poor mileage, but the people who buy them
> typically haven't a clue about what goes on under the hood anyway.

I was under the impression a significant amount of gas is simply wasted
while idling at traffic lights or in traffic jams. I forget where I read
it, but something between 15 and 20% of fuel is used while sitting still.
At four bucks for a gallon, that means 70 cents or so doesn't move you
anywhere.

AJM
'93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Old May 15th 08, 02:36 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob G.[_2_]

Default Don't believe Corvette owners lies about supposed fuel economy

>>>Well folks, this *IS* the truth. '98 roadster. On the highway w cruse
>>>set somewhere between 65 & 70 to FL and back to OH the 2,200 mile
>>>average was 30.21.

>> I believe you. Most mid to large sized cars get about that on the
>> highway if they have the correct gearing.
>> It's in urban driving with stop lights where they fall far behind
>> smaller engined vehicles.

My 98 6 sp ragtop is about to turn 25,000 total miles and I just
checked what my gas mileage has averaged...

TOTAL MPG from the very first Tank of Gas until today...
is 24.6 mpg ...

I admit that the wife and I use this car mostly for trips but it sure
gets plenty of around town usage...NO STOP AND GO
CITY DRIVING for the most part...

This figure comes from my computerized maintenance log that I keep on
all my cars...

Bob G.
64 72 & 98 Convertibles
76 & 79 Coupes
01 Dodge Dakota
03 Dodge Caravan
Old May 15th 08, 03:28 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette,alt.autos.nissan
PJ

CardsFan wrote:
> "Bob I" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> Josh S wrote:

>>> I believe you. Most mid to large sized cars get about that on the highway
>>> if they have the correct gearing.
>>> It's in urban driving with stop lights where they fall far behind smaller
>>> engined vehicles.

>> Actually it the mass required to be accelerated and how quickly it's done
>> that determines urban mileage. Since the ****-ant engines in the smaller
>> engined vehicles aren't capable of accelerating anything quickly it's
>> simply more difficult to get poor mileage, but the people who buy them
>> typically haven't a clue about what goes on under the hood anyway.

> I was under the impression a significant amount of gas is simply wasted
> while idling at traffic lights or in traffic jams. I forget where I read
> it, but something between 15 and 20% of fuel is used while sitting still.
> At four bucks for a gallon, that means 70 cents or so doesn't move you
> anywhere.
>
> AJM
> '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Accurate impression!

One measure...reset the average mileage on the
DIC while in traffic and note the numbers
plummet while sitting at a light.

During a March trip I rented a Prius.
Impressive at a light--the only energy goes to
power the stereo and the displays.

It was a cool week so I've no clue as to what
they do with the a/c at a light.

--
pj
Old May 16th 08, 02:20 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette,alt.autos.nissan
Bob I

pj wrote:
> CardsFan wrote:
>> "Bob I" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Actually it the mass required to be accelerated and how quickly it's
>>> done that determines urban mileage. Since the ****-ant engines in the
>>> smaller engined vehicles aren't capable of accelerating anything
>>> quickly it's simply more difficult to get poor mileage, but the
>>> people who buy them typically haven't a clue about what goes on under
>>> the hood anyway.

>> I was under the impression a significant amount of gas is simply
>> wasted while idling at traffic lights or in traffic jams. I forget
>> where I read it, but something between 15 and 20% of fuel is used
>> while sitting still. At four bucks for a gallon, that means 70 cents
>> or so doesn't move you anywhere.
>>
>> AJM
>> '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)
>>

> Accurate impression!
>
> One measure...reset the average mileage on the DIC while in traffic and
> note the numbers plummet while sitting at a light.
>
> During a March trip I rented a Prius. Impressive at a light--the only
> energy goes to power the stereo and the displays.
>
> It was a cool week so I've no clue as to what they do with the a/c at a
> light.
>
> --
> pj

'04 and later run off the battery, before that if it was set to Max the
engine would run.
Old May 16th 08, 04:46 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette,alt.autos.nissan
Bob Drake

The Prius runs the AC off the battery.

I checked out the Malibu hybrid and noted that the mileage was not good
compared to the Camry - now I know why. The Malibu hybrid has no electrical
component. The fuel shuts off when the car stops and starts the engine when
you press the gas. Hell I can do that manually with my truck. Now I have a
hybrid!

Old May 16th 08, 08:50 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
joevett

This is also the truth---13-15 mpg around town--"86 Coupe.
Not too good but the car runs well, so i'm a little confused on the good
MPG's i'm seeing here.

Joevette

Old May 17th 08, 03:40 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I

Thats an '86, they get better as you move to the newer engine control
systems.

Old May 17th 08, 07:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Ron Stewart

My 2005 C6 coupe automatic has consistently averaged 15.6 mpg over a 3 year
period for a total of 9000 miles, 99% shopping and misc. trips. My 2001 Olds
Aurora v8 gets 15.3 for the same kind of driving. Both get 28 mpg on the
freeway at 70mph.

--
Ron Stewart
Santa Rosa, Calif.

Old May 18th 08, 01:06 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Sarah Czepiel

On Fri, 16 May 2008 19:50:30 GMT, "joevett" > wrote:

:>This is also the truth---13-15 mpg around town--"86 Coupe.
:>Not too good but the car runs well, so i'm a little confused on the good
:>MPG's i'm seeing here.
:>
:> Joevette

Here's a link for you, Joe. At least the C6's get great mileage.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2027358
Old May 18th 08, 02:00 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan

"Ron Stewart" > wrote in message
> My 2005 C6 coupe automatic has consistently averaged 15.6 mpg over a 3
> year period for a total of 9000 miles, 99% shopping and misc. trips. My
> 2001 Olds Aurora v8 gets 15.3 for the same kind of driving. Both get 28
> mpg on the freeway at 70mph.

Given a choice, which would you rather drive?

AJM
'93 40th Anniversary Edition coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Fuel Economy Richard Wilkinson BMW 17 December 4th 06 06:59 AM
Fuel Vaporization and fuel economy cody_e Technology 48 January 28th 06 03:29 PM
Fuel Economy CagedMonkees General 3 May 11th 05 06:28 PM
What's new S4 Auto owners getting for fuel economy?? quattroA4cars Audi 15 April 6th 05 07:10 AM
166 Fuel Economy Jon Alfa Romeo 11 August 29th 04 09:07 PM