thinking of getting a mig

Old February 1st 12, 12:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Default thinking of getting a mig

Just a small buzzbox that takes 110.
Flux core, but possibly with the ability to take a bottle.

I'm no welder. Except for that one time I stuck an effing
screwdriver into a live breaker box. O_O

Looked at this http://bit.ly/A3iTDI
little Lincoln Electric Handy Mig.
Major purpose is to fix the occasional busted lawn chair
and mower desk. That and tacking mufflers and other fiddly
body bits.

--
DougW

Old February 1st 12, 04:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

"DougW" > wrote in message
> Just a small buzzbox that takes 110.
> Flux core, but possibly with the ability to take a bottle.
>
> I'm no welder. Except for that one time I stuck an effing
> screwdriver into a live breaker box. O_O
>
> Looked at this http://bit.ly/A3iTDI
> little Lincoln Electric Handy Mig.
> Major purpose is to fix the occasional busted lawn chair
> and mower desk. That and tacking mufflers and other fiddly
> body bits.
>
> --
> DougW

FWIW, I bought one of the Harbor Freight 110V flux wire welders and it works
quite well ... as long as you don't need more than two heat settings.

I'm an experienced welder so I can fudge a bit when burning wire but for the
inexperienced try to get more than two settings (low / high) on the heat
control.

I've thought about seeing if I could install the inductor (heat control)
from my 110V buzz box stick ("old fashioned") welder in to the wire welder
transformer to give more control.

That said, I've used both to install a 2" receiver tube into the hitch on my
89 XJ in place of the 1 1/4" receiver tube. The weld was strong enough to
pull a 8 X10 wooden shed over from one end ... I was trying to pull it
apaert, actually ... probably a good, hard 1000 to 2000 pound pull in 4 Lo.

Do you have a friend that can weld? Ask them to give you some basic training
.... and get a good automatic darkening helmet!

I used a standard helmet until a couple years back and I'll fight to keep
the auto even if it was on sale at Harbor Freight!

Budd

Thinking about an NB miker[_2_] Mazda 15 January 14th 11 08:58 PM
What is GM thinking uncle_vito Corvette 3 December 28th 10 12:25 AM
US Toll roads turn huge profits for MIG Brent P[_1_] Driving 1 February 23rd 07 09:11 PM
Grinder recommendations for sheet metal/MIG? Brian Technology 2 March 7th 05 11:16 PM