72 super former autostick

Old October 6th 11, 01:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
zam

Default 72 super former autostick

I have been tooling around for 5 years in my 72 SB pretty much driving
it every sunny day and it looks like the solenoid went in the starter.
I say that as I bridge the 2 contacts on the solenoid, it jumps to
life. I thought back in the day I could just swap out the solenoid,
but now my parts guy (RPM in Byram, NJ) tells me I have to replace the
whole starter as it is sealed one piece for about $150(rebuilt).

He also told me that if in fact it is a starter from an autostick, he
can give me $50 credit toward a rebuilt one as they are rare. The
engine/tranny and all remnants of being an autostick are gone from the
rebuild before I got it

Seems pretty simple to remove, are there any secrets I need to know
before I take my baby off the road?

2 questions-maybe 3

How do I tell if the starter is from an autostick?
How much $$ for a rebuilt starter
Is there a difference in performance in an autostick starter v.
Normal one?

Thanks very much in advance, I have always found people on this site
very helpful.
Old October 6th 11, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
KWW[_2_]

If you have a manual you should be able to look at pictures, but
basically the auto stick starter has a shorter shaft than a manual
transmission starter.

Performance is the same.

If I recall properly some folks had articles on what it takes to convert
so that you can fit a non-autostick starter in... unless I am confusing
that with the 6 to 12 volt conversion. Probably not a good idea because
you would have to drill the housing
KWW

Old October 8th 11, 06:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Solenoid is repairable. Remove from starter. From memory, there are two
large screws holding plastic "end" on. Once they are gone there are two or
three soldered connections on end cap that need to be desoldered. Use
"solderwick' from an electronics shop or a solder sucker. That allows you to
pull the thing to bits, clean the connections that supply current to
starter. They are large as they handle the starter current.
Clean it all up and reassemble. Did it a few times ( different cars) about
20 years ago. Never a problem.
Just a thought, if your supplier said it has to be replaced as a whole
unit how come he can supply a "rebuilt" sealed unit??????????.
Cheers
John

Old October 10th 11, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani[_2_]

"zam" wrote in message

>I have been tooling around for 5 years in my 72 SB pretty much driving

i>t every sunny day and it looks like the solenoid went in the starter.
>I say that as I bridge the 2 contacts on the solenoid, it jumps to
>life. I thought back in the day I could just swap out the solenoid,
>but now my parts guy (RPM in Byram, NJ) tells me I have to replace the
>whole starter as it is sealed one piece for about $150(rebuilt).

you can replace the solenoid, but the solenoid by itself are getting harder
to find... that said, I don’t believe you are having a solenoid failure..
..if it works when you jump it at the starter, look for bad connections(or
corrosion, broken wire, etc) in the starting circuit....

>How do I tell if the starter is from an autostick?
>How much $$ for a rebuilt starter
>Is there a difference in performance in an autostick starter v.
>Normal one?

an autostick starter is slightly more powerful and uses no external
bushing(in the bellhousing) to support the shaft...

here is an autostick starter:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....de=BOS%2DSR17X

here is the manual transaxle starter:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....de=BOS%2DSR15N

Old October 26th 11, 04:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mr. K[_2_]

In article
zam > wrote:

> I have been tooling around for 5 years in my 72 SB pretty much driving
> it every sunny day and it looks like the solenoid went in the starter.
> I say that as I bridge the 2 contacts on the solenoid, it jumps to
> life. I thought back in the day I could just swap out the solenoid,
> but now my parts guy (RPM in Byram, NJ) tells me I have to replace the
> whole starter as it is sealed one piece for about $150(rebuilt).
>
> He also told me that if in fact it is a starter from an autostick, he
> can give me $50 credit toward a rebuilt one as they are rare. The
> engine/tranny and all remnants of being an autostick are gone from the
> rebuild before I got it
>
> Seems pretty simple to remove, are there any secrets I need to know
> before I take my baby off the road?
>
> 2 questions-maybe 3
>
> How do I tell if the starter is from an autostick?
> How much $$ for a rebuilt starter
> Is there a difference in performance in an autostick starter v.
> Normal one?
>
> Thanks very much in advance, I have always found people on this site
> very helpful.

well, this is an age old problem with VW's It's not necessarily the
solenoid but high resistance in the wires that lowers the voltage to the
solenoid. replacing it works for awhile.
what you want to do is install an "Easy Start" kit. it does the same
thing that you do when bridging the contacts.
basically a second solenoid .
Good luck,
--
Karma, What a concept!