Distributor issues

Old August 16th 11, 08:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Default Distributor issues

Solved one dist issue. Couldn,t stop engine pinging (pinking?) unless
timing was set to about 5 deg ATDC with a SVDA dist. . Turns out dist was
originally a dual vac type where vac can retards ignition at start and then
relies on mech advance. At some stage the two hose retarding vacuum can has
been replaced with a single hose vac advance type. So two lots of advance so
preignition.
One not solved is the ubiquitous 009 I,ve stuck in. If I adjust timing
for about 28 deg BTDC total advance the initial static timing is ~ 5 ATDC.
I thought 009 had a static timing around 7.5 BTDC?.
That normal?
Ta
John

Old August 16th 11, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Max[_4_]

> I thought 009 had a static timing around 7.5 BTDC?.
Not that I am aware of. For some stock distributors, sure.

But the 009 was never stock on an aircooled VW engine. So there is no
stock timing spec.

Always time an 009 with the timing light to find maximum centrifugal
advance. Static is only good enough to get it running so the timing
light ccan be used.

Max
Old August 17th 11, 06:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Thanks Max. I,ve usually done as you say but instead of running at 3500 rpm
etc I just lock the advance mechanism to full advance and adjust points to
open at 28 BTDC. (By locking it it means using my thumb to hold the rotor
fully advanced whilst rest of hand rotates the distributor!.)
Cheers
John

Old August 19th 11, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Max[_4_]

Sounds like that should work. At least if I'm understanding you
correctly. You might pull out the light and verify that it is set
where you think it is while the engine is actually running.

I still prefer the timing light though. It also tells you something
about the amount of timing scatter and also if the centrifugal advance
mechanism is working properly.

Max

Old August 20th 11, 09:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Been playing and I think practical wise you are right. Pushing it fully
advanced obviously gives you the maximum advance but I suspect that is more
than what is delivered at 3500 rpm. The result is a more retarded ignition.
As you say timing light is hard to argue with.
Cheers
John

On Aug 16, 11:32 pm, "John" > wrote:
> Thanks Max. I,ve usually done as you say but instead of running at 3500
> rpm
> etc I just lock the advance mechanism to full advance and adjust points to
> open at 28 BTDC. (By locking it it means using my thumb to hold the rotor
> fully advanced whilst rest of hand rotates the distributor!.)
> Cheers
> John"Max" > wrote in message

> >> I thought 009 had a static timing around 7.5 BTDC?.

> > Not that I am aware of. For some stock distributors, sure.

> > But the 009 was never stock on an aircooled VW engine. So there is no
> > stock timing spec.

> > Always time an 009 with the timing light to find maximum centrifugal
> > advance. Static is only good enough to get it running so the timing
> > light ccan be used.

> > Max

6V distributor bug '59[_2_] VW air cooled 10 May 20th 08 12:01 AM
distributor? randy pape Technology 2 February 16th 07 06:36 PM
distributor [email protected] VW air cooled 1 May 29th 06 10:56 AM
distributor [email protected] Honda 23 May 28th 06 03:16 AM
distributor kimberly VW water cooled 2 October 23rd 05 01:01 AM