Help on height on rad support for 66 Corvette?

Old December 11th 04, 02:58 PM
Refinish_King1

Default Help on height on rad support for 66 Corvette?

Hello:

Can someone help with the installed height of the radiator support, in
relationship to the cowl. Also a diagram or where to buy one, other than an
assembly manual. With a diagram for the placement of the brace rods for the
radiator support?

This car was received in an enclosed trailer, in pieces and boxes full of
parts. So any help or leads would be most greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Julio,
AKA Refinish King

Owner: AABCO Automotive
Elysburg, Pa

Old December 11th 04, 07:09 PM
WayneC

Refinish_King1 wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Can someone help with the installed height of the radiator support, in
> relationship to the cowl. Also a diagram or where to buy one, other than an
> assembly manual. With a diagram for the placement of the brace rods for the
> radiator support?
>
> This car was received in an enclosed trailer, in pieces and boxes full of
> parts. So any help or leads would be most greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Julio,
> AKA Refinish King
>
> Owner: AABCO Automotive
> Elysburg, Pa

I'm not certain I understand your question. The radiator support bolts
to the body opening (along it's sides) and is shimmed for height as
needed at the two frame mounts; I believe the shims there are simply to
compensate for any variations of the frame from the frame rail dimension
specs. Been awhile since I've taken a radiator support out, but I don't
remember any "brace rods for the radiator support".

There are long rod cross braces welded to form an "X" on the front face
of the support. There are also long brace rods that run from holes in
the bottom corners of the support (using the same bolt that goes through
a tab supporting the lower fiberglass grille opening panel) to the
inside of the top rear hole in the horseshoe-shaped body opening/support
for the headlight housings (the side closest to the center of the car
nose)... the brace reinforces the nose of the body, using the radiator
support as an anchor point. From my 63 assembly manual: top brace bolt
goes in from the headlight opening, through a washer, lock washer, body,
and brace, in that order; bottom bolt goes in from the engine
compartment side through a lock washer, the radiator support, the grille
onening panel tab, and the support rod, in that order (so it appears
that the rods have threaded holes at each end). The bent end of the rods
is at the radiator support.

Hope that helps.
Old December 11th 04, 07:09 PM
WayneC

Old December 12th 04, 03:12 AM
Refinish King

Thank you:

It does help a lot. It's been over 20 years since I've done any of that body
style.

Refinish King

Old December 12th 04, 03:12 AM
Refinish King