96 start failure

Old May 10th 10, 05:43 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
chaniarts

Default 96 start failure

went out of town for a month. first start on return cranked a long time but
eventually caught. it seemed to work fine for a day or two of running around
town. it eventaully died in traffic and wouldn't start. it still cranked
fine though. got it towed home, and it didn't start after the tow. i let it
sit overnight, and it started fine in the morning.

when it doesn't start, i don't hear the 2 second fuel pump prime so am
suspecting the fuel pump or fp relay. is there an easy way to test either?
the relay is under the dash so not easy to get to. is there any point under
the fuel filler panel at the top o fthe fp assembly that can be tested to
see if power is getting there?

do fuel pumps fail intermittent, or quit altogether? usually a relay doesn't
fail intermittently, ime, but can that happen too?

thanks,
charlie

Old May 17th 10, 02:23 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
George Csahanin[_2_]

It has a separate fuse, that's a good starting point (pun really not
intended)

According to my 92 manual, the fuse is AFTER the relay, so it is right ahead
of the fuel pump. No voltage there can be the relay, ECM, or oil pressure
sensor.

AlldataDIY shows same.

GeorgeC
92 Red/Red LT-1

Old May 26th 10, 09:03 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
chaniarts

Default 96 start failure- followup

chaniarts wrote:
> went out of town for a month. first start on return cranked a long
> time but eventually caught. it seemed to work fine for a day or two
> of running around town. it eventaully died in traffic and wouldn't
> start. it still cranked fine though. got it towed home, and it didn't
> start after the tow. i let it sit overnight, and it started fine in
> the morning.
> when it doesn't start, i don't hear the 2 second fuel pump prime so am
> suspecting the fuel pump or fp relay. is there an easy way to test
> either? the relay is under the dash so not easy to get to. is there
> any point under the fuel filler panel at the top o fthe fp assembly
> that can be tested to see if power is getting there?
>
> do fuel pumps fail intermittent, or quit altogether? usually a relay
> doesn't fail intermittently, ime, but can that happen too?
>
> thanks,
> charlie

removed the fuel pump assembly from the tank. the filter sock was just about
ready to fall off the end of the assembly. the plastic mesh is held onto a
metal press-on fitting with a hard plastic ring, and that assembly is just
pushed onto the end of the fuel pump. when i pulled on the sock assembly, it
just fell off and the plastic ring was in pieces inside the sock.

i surmise that the pump inhaled some small piece of the plastic and jammed
the pump vanes. when the pump switched off and the phase of the moon was
right, the plastic piece fell back out of the pump. repeat often. this
caused an intermittent fuel delivery failure.

replaced fuel sock, pump, and tank gasket.

regards,
charlie