roof panel liner

Old May 3rd 10, 07:42 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Default roof panel liner

Mousefuzz cloth liner on roof panel is separating from what I think is a
foam insulation/soundproofing material. Years ago I had this happen in
a Firebird and managed to cement it back in place. --but, can't remember
what I used.

Any suggestions??

No need to keep this original.

tia.. pj
Old May 3rd 10, 07:56 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"pj" > wrote in message
> Mousefuzz cloth liner on roof panel is separating from what I think
> is a foam insulation/soundproofing material. Years ago I had this
> happen in a Firebird and managed to cement it back in place. --but,
> can't remember what I used.
>
> Any suggestions??
>
> No need to keep this original.
>
> tia.. pj

Norton or 3M spray disk adhesive, coat both surfaces and let dry to
tack. Then smooth on , can be pull back off to reposition if it has
not gone on as well as you would like. Don't dally, it will get harder
to remove each time you work it.

Old May 4th 10, 04:41 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dddudley

On 5/3/2010 1:42 PM, pj wrote:
> Mousefuzz cloth liner on roof panel is separating from what I think is a
> foam insulation/soundproofing material. Years ago I had this happen in a
> Firebird and managed to cement it back in place. --but, can't remember
> what I used.
>
> Any suggestions??

What Dad said...

However, if you cannot use what you have, you can try what I did.

The headliner on the removable hardtop for my '94 convertible started to
disintegrate. The foam was decomposing allowing the fabric in the
headliner to droop. I could have tolerated it if I was only 5'
something. However, at 6'3" I need all the headroom I can get<g>

I went to one of the large, chain fabric stores (we had a Jo-Ann's close
by) and was amazed at all the goodies they have. I found a nice plain
black cloth with foam backing. I cleaned off the mess from the original
headliner and after CAREFULLY cutting a piece to fit the original area,
I did just what Dad suggested. It worked like a charm and now, four
years later, it still looks as good (almost) as new.

I think my total investment, including the spray adhesive was less than $25.

I suspect that you are in the initial stages of what I experienced, i.e.
separation from the foam. Once you see what you're dealing with UNDER
the fabric, I suspect you'll realize - as I did - that it's just going
to keep delaminating no matter what you do. Might as well resign
yourself to cleaning it out and installing new.

Old May 4th 10, 07:10 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Tks. We're lucky with both a large fabric store and an upholstery
materials shop close by.

I'm outta here with a couple of twenties in my fist.

pj
Old May 8th 10, 09:08 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Tikbalang[_3_]

I removed the entire liner and replaced it with corkboard for
insulation and a black and white checkerboard tablecloth. Spray glue
held everything in place. Now it looks like I have a checkered flag up
there. Everyone else seems to like it too.

Old May 25th 10, 03:33 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 05/03/2010 02:42 PM, pj wrote:
> Mousefuzz cloth liner on roof panel is separating from what I think is a
> foam insulation/soundproofing material. Years ago I had this happen in a
> Firebird and managed to cement it back in place. --but, can't remember
> what I used.
>
> Any suggestions??
>
> No need to keep this original.
>
> tia.. pj

It's toast. the foam has disintegrated. Good news is your local fabric
store likely has replacement headliner cloth and you can get 3M spray
adhesive at your FLAPS (get the heavy duty stuff. I forget the part
number.) BTDT. Last time I had this issue was on an '84 Rabbit GTI,
rather than using the doomed-to-fail headliner cloth I just used black
sheet vinyl. Didn't get any negative comments on it, and the few people
who noticed and/or knew that I had done it seemed to think that if
anything it looked better. Certainly easier to clean!

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old May 30th 10, 06:16 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 05/03/2010 02:42 PM, pj wrote:
>> Mousefuzz cloth liner on roof panel is separating from what I think is a
>> foam insulation/soundproofing material. Years ago I had this happen in a
>> Firebird and managed to cement it back in place. --but, can't remember
>> what I used.
>>
>> Any suggestions??
>>
>> No need to keep this original.
>>
>> tia.. pj

> It's toast. the foam has disintegrated. Good news is your local fabric
> store likely has replacement headliner cloth and you can get 3M spray
> adhesive at your FLAPS (get the heavy duty stuff. I forget the part
> number.) BTDT. Last time I had this issue was on an '84 Rabbit GTI,
> rather than using the doomed-to-fail headliner cloth I just used black
> sheet vinyl. Didn't get any negative comments on it, and the few people
> who noticed and/or knew that I had done it seemed to think that if
> anything it looked better. Certainly easier to clean!
>
> nate

Tks guys for the suggestions. Duped Nate's idea and went with a dull
black vinyl (w/stretch backing) over a layer of foam sandwiched between
thin vinyl (think it was intended as a table cloth material. Absolutely
no wrinkles and the wind noise above 85mph seems more muffled.

The tip on spray adhesive was OUTSTANDING !!!

tks again
--
pj

C5 Transparent Roof Panel Hello657 Corvette 0 March 20th 10 12:49 PM
1988 528e Sun Roof Panel John Orr BMW 6 June 20th 05 08:37 PM
removing roof liner on a Milano/75 help!!! Dimitri Androutsos Alfa Romeo 1 June 19th 05 08:35 AM
C4 roof panel alignment - help jklvette Corvette 3 June 10th 05 09:21 PM
1994 Saturn SL1 Leaking Sun roof moon roof frederickiniguez Saturn 2 July 19th 04 05:11 PM