How to get that wonderful exhaust sound ??

Old March 24th 10, 04:43 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

Default How to get that wonderful exhaust sound ??

"Clams Canino" > wrote in message
m...

> "Dad" > wrote in message
>
>> Yep, those 2 new front fenders and headlights made it look like
>> Anna Nicole.

> All that chrome too - yuck. IMHO The 56/57 was the peak of the C1
> design. 65-67 for the C2 with the BB and disk brakes added. 68 and
> 69 for the C3 is generally agreed as well - before even more bloat
> and fuel and EPA issues came into play.
>
> I briefly had a '59 and didn't care for it as much as my '68.
> (Though with a "built" 327 and posi the thing really hauled ass in a
> straight line.)

My '61 had it all over the '57, and the '63 just about soured me on
Corvettes for ever. The '92 didn't help revive the love for them that
much either. Although I like to drive the '72 I'll take the '64 over
it every time. Got to go to South Carolina for my Granddaughters
birthday mid month and will make a one stop 600 mile trip in the C6,
lazy mans car. Drove a few big blocks and never got into them, always
liked the quick winding more agile feeling small blocks.

What did you think of Mac's '67 video?

Old March 24th 10, 05:06 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Smarty" > wrote in message
> Dad wrote:
>

>> "Smarty" > wrote in message
>> > Dad wrote:

>> Snip
>> >

>> > I did some research on a couple Corvette forums and learned that
>> > fuse can be removed from the dual system on my C6 which
>> > apparently
>> > has a pretty dramatic effect on the exhaust sound. I think I will
>> > try this first before considering another expense over $1000. I
>> > was
>> > totally amazed that an exhaust system fuse could even exist, but
>> > apparently there is a valve which is computer controlled which
>> > opens and closes in the exhaust stream, and this fuse disables
>> > the
>> > valve, leaving it in the 'louder' position. There are actually
>> > YouTube videos showing before and after comparisons.
>> >
>> > Thanks again for replies.
>> >

>> Smarty;
>>
>> Tell us more about your C5 and the new C6, does the wonderful
>> mellow,
>> gutsy sound have an accent?

> Really not much to add. My C5, a 1998 red convertible, had a mellow
> and
> gutsy sounding exhaust. It was never offensive or obnoxious but it
> had
> some deep rumble and sounded strong both at idle and at higher
> speeds.
>
> My C6, a 2006 silver convertible, has a far less aggressive sound,
> and
> reminds me of my family sedan. It takes away some of the sports car
> appeal that I like in the Corvette since it hardly makes a peep
> either
> at idle or at higher speeds.

Must have bought them both used and the '98 had already had an exhaust
change. So you won't have that fuse to pull on the '06, that didn't
happen until '08. You're stuck with and axle back exhaust change to
get it to sound good. Be careful what you buy and from whom you buy
them the year and transmission can be an issue.

I found a site that showed how to open up the muffles and get the
sound you would like by removing a baffle but it requires MIG welder
and a bit of work. Been tempted to try it on the set I have hanging in
my shop and then sell the CORSA.

I'd forget about drilling holes in the muffler, I think you'd be
courting problems.

Old March 24th 10, 12:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"Dad" > wrote in message

> Got to go to South Carolina for my Granddaughters birthday mid month and
> will make a one stop 600 mile trip in the C6, lazy mans car. x

Where? I'm in Anderson......

-W

Old March 24th 10, 02:08 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Clams Canino" > wrote in message
m...

> "Dad" > wrote in message
>
>> Got to go to South Carolina for my Granddaughters birthday mid
>> month and will make a one stop 600 mile trip in the C6, lazy mans
>> car. x

> Where? I'm in Anderson......

Gray Court, south of Greenville about 15 miles. Ever been to the BMW
museum by Greer? Great place and will leave you wanting to go out on
385 and speed. Trip will be a bit longer this time as I-40 is still
closed at the NC/TN line, been down about 5 months.

Old March 24th 10, 04:37 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Smarty

Dad wrote:

> "Smarty" > wrote in message
> > Dad wrote:

> > > Snip

> > a >>> fuse can be removed from the dual system on my C6 which >

> apparently >>> has a pretty dramatic effect on the exhaust sound. I
> think I will >>> try this first before considering another expense
> over $1000. I > was >>> totally amazed that an exhaust system fuse
> could even exist, but >>> apparently there is a valve which is
> computer controlled which >>> opens and closes in the exhaust
> stream, and this fuse disables > the >>> valve, leaving it in the
> 'louder' position. There are actually >>> YouTube videos showing
> before and after comparisons.

> > > Smarty;
> > >
> > > Tell us more about your C5 and the new C6, does the wonderful
> > > mellow, gutsy sound have an accent?

> > Really not much to add. My C5, a 1998 red convertible, had a mellow
> > and gutsy sounding exhaust. It was never offensive or obnoxious but
> > it had some deep rumble and sounded strong both at idle and at
> > higher speeds.
> >
> > My C6, a 2006 silver convertible, has a far less aggressive sound,
> > and reminds me of my family sedan. It takes away some of the sports
> > car appeal that I like in the Corvette since it hardly makes a peep
> > either at idle or at higher speeds.
> >

> Must have bought them both used and the '98 had already had an
> exhaust change. So you won't have that fuse to pull on the '06, that
> didn't happen until '08. You're stuck with and axle back exhaust
> change to get it to sound good. Be careful what you buy and from whom
> you buy them the year and transmission can be an issue.
>
> I found a site that showed how to open up the muffles and get the
> sound you would like by removing a baffle but it requires MIG welder
> and a bit of work. Been tempted to try it on the set I have hanging
> in my shop and then sell the CORSA.
>
> I'd forget about drilling holes in the muffler, I think you'd be
> courting problems.

Thanks Dad. I am going to leave it as is. As you suggest, the drilling
approach is not a good one. The 2006 was purchased new and the 1998 C5
was indeed purchased used. I guess I never realized that it had
aftermarket exhaust components, but it sure sounded much nicer than
this newer C6.

Old March 24th 10, 04:55 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Smarty" > wrote in message
> Dad wrote:
>> I'd forget about drilling holes in the muffler, I think you'd be
>> courting problems.

OK, I'm going to back off this statement and direct you to this
thread, go to post 127, page 7, or there abouts. Note also that the
access hole is closed after the 3/4 hole is drilled.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ler-mod-7.html
Easy mod and you can go smaller on the holes in the pipe and enlarge
them until you like the sound and avoid the dreaded drone by getting
it to big. You can also add a bar stock plug to the cover and plug one
side of the cross hole to quiet it down if you need to. Later in the
thread there is another well photographed mod on the car documented.
Cost is in the $10 or less range.

> Thanks Dad. I am going to leave it as is. As you suggest, the
> drilling
> approach is not a good one. The 2006 was purchased new and the 1998
> C5
> was indeed purchased used. I guess I never realized that it had
> aftermarket exhaust components, but it sure sounded much nicer than
> this newer C6.

Exhaust sound differences Paul Hovnanian P.E. Driving 4 September 3rd 08 08:31 PM
WONDERFUL DEAL! XS11E[_3_] Mazda 4 February 29th 08 12:41 AM
Wonderful picture of wonderful car -- DeSoto Adventurer MagisterMax Auto Photos 4 December 8th 07 08:50 AM
"Poppy" exhaust sound.... Tokay Technology 18 September 13th 05 04:10 PM
Any website for exhaust system sound files? Abbas General 1 August 15th 05 11:31 PM