How to get that wonderful exhaust sound ??

Old March 18th 10, 03:11 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Smarty

Default How to get that wonderful exhaust sound ??

I upgraded from a C5 Corvette convertible to a new C6 convertible, and
find the improvements to be mostly positive, but with one major
exception.

The exhaust sound of my prior convertible had a wonderful mellow, gutsy
sound, very much like what you would expect from a sports car.

The newer C6 is way less audible, and has no rumble or other noticeable
sonic qualities. It actually sounds very much like most of the sedans
on the road.

I am not looking for a loud, obnoxious, "look at me" type of noise
generator, but I really do miss the mellow and full bodied sound
quality of the older C5 factory exhaust.

What if any options do I have? Is a 3rd party exhaust / muffler a huge
mistake? Is it very pricey? And am I just asking for trouble with
emissions, reliability, etc?

I am unlikely to make any drastic or expensive changes, but I am just
curious to know what might be possible.

Thanks in advance to any / all responders.

Smarty

Old March 18th 10, 12:26 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Roy[_2_]

"Smarty" > wrote in message
>I upgraded from a C5 Corvette convertible to a new C6 convertible, and
> find the improvements to be mostly positive, but with one major
> exception.
>
> The exhaust sound of my prior convertible had a wonderful mellow, gutsy
> sound, very much like what you would expect from a sports car.
>
> The newer C6 is way less audible, and has no rumble or other noticeable
> sonic qualities. It actually sounds very much like most of the sedans
> on the road.
>
> I am not looking for a loud, obnoxious, "look at me" type of noise
> generator, but I really do miss the mellow and full bodied sound
> quality of the older C5 factory exhaust.
>
> What if any options do I have? Is a 3rd party exhaust / muffler a huge
> mistake? Is it very pricey? And am I just asking for trouble with
> emissions, reliability, etc?
>
> I am unlikely to make any drastic or expensive changes, but I am just
> curious to know what might be possible.
>
> Thanks in advance to any / all responders.
>
> Smarty
>
> --

Put on the NPP exhaust.

Old March 18th 10, 02:59 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Smarty" > wrote in message
>I upgraded from a C5 Corvette convertible to a new C6 convertible,
>and
> find the improvements to be mostly positive, but with one major
> exception.
>
> The exhaust sound of my prior convertible had a wonderful mellow,
> gutsy
> sound, very much like what you would expect from a sports car.
>
> The newer C6 is way less audible, and has no rumble or other
> noticeable
> sonic qualities. It actually sounds very much like most of the
> sedans
> on the road.
>
> I am not looking for a loud, obnoxious, "look at me" type of noise
> generator, but I really do miss the mellow and full bodied sound
> quality of the older C5 factory exhaust.
>
> What if any options do I have? Is a 3rd party exhaust / muffler a
> huge
> mistake? Is it very pricey? And am I just asking for trouble with
> emissions, reliability, etc?
>
> I am unlikely to make any drastic or expensive changes, but I am
> just
> curious to know what might be possible.
>
> Thanks in advance to any / all responders.
>
> Smarty

Not sure how you got a new C5 that had a wonderful mellow, gutsy
sound, as both of mine were fitted with Corsa soon after they got
home. Do you know the C5 had a factory exhaust?

Same with the C6, within a month of it being delivered I installed the
Corsa Sport. At over $1,000 they are still over priced but good
equipment. No need for the cross over pipe as it does little good for
sound and it is just more expense. As far as reliability and emissions
nothing changes there, just the sound.

Old March 18th 10, 07:23 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Smarty

Dad wrote:

> "Smarty" > wrote in message
> > I upgraded from a C5 Corvette convertible to a new C6 convertible,
> > and find the improvements to be mostly positive, but with one major
> > exception.
> >
> > The exhaust sound of my prior convertible had a wonderful mellow,
> > gutsy sound, very much like what you would expect from a sports car.
> >
> > The newer C6 is way less audible, and has no rumble or other
> > noticeable sonic qualities. It actually sounds very much like most
> > of the sedans on the road.
> >
> > I am not looking for a loud, obnoxious, "look at me" type of noise
> > generator, but I really do miss the mellow and full bodied sound
> > quality of the older C5 factory exhaust.
> >
> > What if any options do I have? Is a 3rd party exhaust / muffler a
> > huge mistake? Is it very pricey? And am I just asking for trouble
> > with emissions, reliability, etc?
> >
> > I am unlikely to make any drastic or expensive changes, but I am
> > just curious to know what might be possible.
> >
> > Thanks in advance to any / all responders.
> >
> > Smarty
> >

> Not sure how you got a new C5 that had a wonderful mellow, gutsy
> sound, as both of mine were fitted with Corsa soon after they got
> home. Do you know the C5 had a factory exhaust?
>
> Same with the C6, within a month of it being delivered I installed
> the Corsa Sport. At over $1,000 they are still over priced but good
> equipment. No need for the cross over pipe as it does little good for
> sound and it is just more expense. As far as reliability and
> emissions nothing changes there, just the sound.

I did some research on a couple Corvette forums and learned that a fuse
can be removed from the dual system on my C6 which apparently has a
pretty dramatic effect on the exhaust sound. I think I will try this
first before considering another expense over $1000. I was totally
amazed that an exhaust system fuse could even exist, but apparently
there is a valve which is computer controlled which opens and closes in
the exhaust stream, and this fuse disables the valve, leaving it in the
'louder' position. There are actually YouTube videos showing before and
after comparisons.

Thanks again for replies.

Old March 19th 10, 01:17 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Roy[_2_]

"Smarty" > wrote in message
> Dad wrote:
>

>> "Smarty" > wrote in message
>> > I upgraded from a C5 Corvette convertible to a new C6 convertible,
>> > and find the improvements to be mostly positive, but with one major
>> > exception.
>> >
>> > The exhaust sound of my prior convertible had a wonderful mellow,
>> > gutsy sound, very much like what you would expect from a sports car.
>> >
>> > The newer C6 is way less audible, and has no rumble or other
>> > noticeable sonic qualities. It actually sounds very much like most
>> > of the sedans on the road.
>> >
>> > I am not looking for a loud, obnoxious, "look at me" type of noise
>> > generator, but I really do miss the mellow and full bodied sound
>> > quality of the older C5 factory exhaust.
>> >
>> > What if any options do I have? Is a 3rd party exhaust / muffler a
>> > huge mistake? Is it very pricey? And am I just asking for trouble
>> > with emissions, reliability, etc?
>> >
>> > I am unlikely to make any drastic or expensive changes, but I am
>> > just curious to know what might be possible.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance to any / all responders.
>> >
>> > Smarty
>> >

>> Not sure how you got a new C5 that had a wonderful mellow, gutsy
>> sound, as both of mine were fitted with Corsa soon after they got
>> home. Do you know the C5 had a factory exhaust?
>>
>> Same with the C6, within a month of it being delivered I installed
>> the Corsa Sport. At over $1,000 they are still over priced but good
>> equipment. No need for the cross over pipe as it does little good for
>> sound and it is just more expense. As far as reliability and
>> emissions nothing changes there, just the sound.

> I did some research on a couple Corvette forums and learned that a fuse
> can be removed from the dual system on my C6 which apparently has a
> pretty dramatic effect on the exhaust sound. I think I will try this
> first before considering another expense over $1000. I was totally
> amazed that an exhaust system fuse could even exist, but apparently
> there is a valve which is computer controlled which opens and closes in
> the exhaust stream, and this fuse disables the valve, leaving it in the
> 'louder' position. There are actually YouTube videos showing before and
> after comparisons.
>
> Thanks again for replies.

Then you have the NPP exhaust. You can get a remote to control it from
inside the car whenever you want to change it. Called a Mild to Wild.

Old March 19th 10, 02:48 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
XiR˙Z

In article >, "Roy" > wrote:

> "Smarty" > wrote in message
> > Dad wrote:

> >> Not sure how you got a new C5 that had a wonderful mellow, gutsy
> >> sound, as both of mine were fitted with Corsa soon after they got
> >> home. Do you know the C5 had a factory exhaust?
> >>
> >> Same with the C6, within a month of it being delivered I installed
> >> the Corsa Sport. At over $1,000 they are still over priced but good
> >> equipment. No need for the cross over pipe as it does little good for
> >> sound and it is just more expense. As far as reliability and
> >> emissions nothing changes there, just the sound.

> > I did some research on a couple Corvette forums and learned that a fuse
> > can be removed from the dual system on my C6 which apparently has a
> > pretty dramatic effect on the exhaust sound. I think I will try this
> > first before considering another expense over $1000. I was totally
> > amazed that an exhaust system fuse could even exist, but apparently
> > there is a valve which is computer controlled which opens and closes in
> > the exhaust stream, and this fuse disables the valve, leaving it in the
> > 'louder' position. There are actually YouTube videos showing before and
> > after comparisons.
> >
> > Thanks again for replies.

> Then you have the NPP exhaust. You can get a remote to control it from
> inside the car whenever you want to change it. Called a Mild to Wild.

That is what I use and it is GREAT!!!
--
(<>..<>)
Old March 19th 10, 12:34 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 17, 10:11*pm, "Smarty" > wrote:
> I upgraded from a C5 Corvette convertible to a new C6 convertible, and
> find the improvements to be mostly positive, but with one major
> exception.
>
> The exhaust sound of my prior convertible had a wonderful mellow, gutsy
> sound, very much like what you would expect from a sports car.
>
> The newer C6 is way less audible, and has no rumble or other noticeable
> sonic qualities. It actually sounds very much like most of the sedans
> on the road.
>
> I am not looking for a loud, obnoxious, "look at me" type of noise
> generator, but I really do miss the mellow and full bodied sound
> quality of the older C5 factory exhaust.
>
> What if any options do I have? Is a 3rd party exhaust / muffler a huge
> mistake? Is it very pricey? And am I just asking for trouble with
> emissions, reliability, etc?
>
> I am unlikely to make any drastic or expensive changes, but I am just
> curious to know what might be possible.
>
> Thanks in advance to any / all responders.
>
> Smarty
>
> --

The Guys back in the 1960's had the cheapest solution for getting the
exhaust sound you wanted : Punch ONE hole in the muffler to get a
slight raspy sound. Punch TWO holes to get a mild cam sound. Punch
THREE holes to get a 3/4 race cam sound. And punch FOUR holes if you
want a definite lopey sound (all without the car shaking at idle
too) . Very streetable solution . If you want to go from FOUR holes
back to ONE hole, you simply bought a $2.99 box of JB Weld . Your
welcome. Glad I could save you some money.
Old March 19th 10, 02:52 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Smarty" > wrote in message
> Dad wrote:
>

>> "Smarty" > wrote in message
>> > I upgraded from a C5 Corvette convertible to a new C6
>> > convertible,
>> > and find the improvements to be mostly positive, but with one
>> > major
>> > exception.
>> >
>> > The exhaust sound of my prior convertible had a wonderful mellow,
>> > gutsy sound, very much like what you would expect from a sports
>> > car.

Snip
>> Same with the C6, within a month of it being delivered I installed
>> the Corsa Sport. At over $1,000 they are still over priced but good
>> equipment. No need for the cross over pipe as it does little good
>> for
>> sound and it is just more expense. As far as reliability and
>> emissions nothing changes there, just the sound.

> I did some research on a couple Corvette forums and learned that a
> fuse
> can be removed from the dual system on my C6 which apparently has a
> pretty dramatic effect on the exhaust sound. I think I will try this
> first before considering another expense over $1000. I was totally
> amazed that an exhaust system fuse could even exist, but apparently
> there is a valve which is computer controlled which opens and closes
> in
> the exhaust stream, and this fuse disables the valve, leaving it in
> the
> 'louder' position. There are actually YouTube videos showing before
> and
> after comparisons.
>
> Thanks again for replies.

If you can "pull a fuse" and get a better sound you have already paid
$1,195 for that option.....NPP. You would already have heard it open
up at WOT, but my guess is that you don't have that option or you
wouldn't have ask how to get a better sound.

Where in the world did you find a dealer that would sell you a new
Corvette without pointing out the NPP exhaust option? Even if it is a
2010 Corvette or just new to you it doesn't have to have the NPP
exhaust which wasn't available on the early years of the C6.

Old March 19th 10, 08:32 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Smarty

wrote:

> On Mar 17, 10:11*pm, "Smarty" > wrote:
> > I upgraded from a C5 Corvette convertible to a new C6 convertible,
> > and find the improvements to be mostly positive, but with one major
> > exception.
> >
> > The exhaust sound of my prior convertible had a wonderful mellow,
> > gutsy sound, very much like what you would expect from a sports car.
> >
> > The newer C6 is way less audible, and has no rumble or other
> > noticeable sonic qualities. It actually sounds very much like most
> > of the sedans on the road.
> >
> > I am not looking for a loud, obnoxious, "look at me" type of noise
> > generator, but I really do miss the mellow and full bodied sound
> > quality of the older C5 factory exhaust.
> >
> > What if any options do I have? Is a 3rd party exhaust / muffler a
> > huge mistake? Is it very pricey? And am I just asking for trouble
> > with emissions, reliability, etc?
> >
> > I am unlikely to make any drastic or expensive changes, but I am
> > just curious to know what might be possible.
> >
> > Thanks in advance to any / all responders.
> >
> > Smarty
> >
> > --

> The Guys back in the 1960's had the cheapest solution for getting the
> exhaust sound you wanted : Punch ONE hole in the muffler to get a
> slight raspy sound. Punch TWO holes to get a mild cam sound. Punch
> THREE holes to get a 3/4 race cam sound. And punch FOUR holes if you
> want a definite lopey sound (all without the car shaking at idle
> too) . Very streetable solution . If you want to go from FOUR holes
> back to ONE hole, you simply bought a $2.99 box of JB Weld . Your
> welcome. Glad I could save you some money.

Talk about a cheap and effective solution....... I'm not sure I have
the balls to start punching holes in my (stainless steel) mufflers. I'm
gonna try the fuse approach first, and if that doesn't sound right,
maybe I will get out a drill and do a little drilling......

Thanks for the suggestion and thanks to all for your help and replies!!

Old March 20th 10, 11:23 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Roy[_2_]

"Dad" > wrote in message

> "Smarty" > wrote in message
>> Dad wrote:

> Snip
>>> Same with the C6, within a month of it being delivered I installed
>>> the Corsa Sport. At over $1,000 they are still over priced but good
>>> equipment. No need for the cross over pipe as it does little good for
>>> sound and it is just more expense. As far as reliability and
>>> emissions nothing changes there, just the sound.

>> I did some research on a couple Corvette forums and learned that a fuse
>> can be removed from the dual system on my C6 which apparently has a
>> pretty dramatic effect on the exhaust sound. I think I will try this
>> first before considering another expense over $1000. I was totally
>> amazed that an exhaust system fuse could even exist, but apparently
>> there is a valve which is computer controlled which opens and closes in
>> the exhaust stream, and this fuse disables the valve, leaving it in the
>> 'louder' position. There are actually YouTube videos showing before and
>> after comparisons.
>>
>> Thanks again for replies.
>>

> If you can "pull a fuse" and get a better sound you have already paid
> $1,195 for that option.....NPP. You would already have heard it open up at
> WOT, but my guess is that you don't have that option or you wouldn't have
> ask how to get a better sound.
>
> Where in the world did you find a dealer that would sell you a new
> Corvette without pointing out the NPP exhaust option? Even if it is a 2010
> Corvette or just new to you it doesn't have to have the NPP exhaust which
> wasn't available on the early years of the C6.

Yup, if it had the option he'd hear it at start up. Or go take a look at
about 8" behind the exhaust tips and he will see the solenoid/valve that
operates the exhaust baffle. The damn thing can become tiring at sustained
highway speeds imo, which is why the remote control is real nice.

Exhaust sound differences Paul Hovnanian P.E. Driving 4 September 3rd 08 08:31 PM
WONDERFUL DEAL! XS11E[_3_] Mazda 4 February 29th 08 12:41 AM
Wonderful picture of wonderful car -- DeSoto Adventurer MagisterMax Auto Photos 4 December 8th 07 08:50 AM
"Poppy" exhaust sound.... Tokay Technology 18 September 13th 05 04:10 PM
Any website for exhaust system sound files? Abbas General 1 August 15th 05 11:31 PM