Honda key fobs and how to replace when lost

Old January 3rd 10, 04:22 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Guy[_2_]

Default Honda key fobs and how to replace when lost

I forgot to ask this from the dealership at purchase and I know I can
still ask but I'll ask here first.

I seem to remember getting a couple of little metal chips on the key
chain and told to use that to get a replacement key fob. I think this
was on my 2003 when new but I didn't get anything for the 2010 nor
told about key fobs. Do they just go by the VIN # now to replace
these key fobs? I'm just thinkiing ahead.
Old January 3rd 10, 10:20 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Guy[_2_]

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 16:00:37 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Guy" > wrote:
>
>> I forgot to ask this from the dealership at purchase and I know I can
>> still ask but I'll ask here first.
>>
>> I seem to remember getting a couple of little metal chips on the key
>> chain and told to use that to get a replacement key fob.

>no, those little metal chips were the KEY number. They had nothing to
>do with what you are mistakenly calling the "key fob".
>

>> I think this
>> was on my 2003 when new but I didn't get anything for the 2010 nor
>> told about key fobs. Do they just go by the VIN # now to replace
>> these key fobs? I'm just thinkiing ahead.

>Keys, you mean? No. The keys still have numbers.
>
>Does your key have the remote transmitter inside the head of the key?

Yes (key fob is part of key). That's why I wondered what or how I
replace it if it gets lost and no key chip either. I will likely ask
the dealer when I'm able to get out and about. No emergency but I'd
like to know.

I was reminded to ask here earlier today when my wife didn't bother to
put her's on a key chain which I did for her later on. I think it's
a little harder to lose the key chain then just the key fob alone. Why
do women think differently? I know that question doesn't belong in
this newsgroup.
Old January 4th 10, 12:13 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Guy[_2_]

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 22:47:36 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Guy" > wrote:
>
>> >Keys, you mean? No. The keys still have numbers.
>> >
>> >Does your key have the remote transmitter inside the head of the key?

>> Yes (key fob is part of key). That's why I wondered what or how I
>> replace it if it gets lost and no key chip either. I will likely ask
>> the dealer when I'm able to get out and about. No emergency but I'd
>> like to know.
>>
>> I was reminded to ask here earlier today when my wife didn't bother to
>> put her's on a key chain which I did for her later on. I think it's
>> a little harder to lose the key chain then just the key fob alone. Why
>> do women think differently? I know that question doesn't belong in
>> this newsgroup.

>You keep talking about a "key fob". There is no such thing; you have a
>key. It happens to have a built-in remote transmitter, but in the end
>all you have is a key. (And technically, even the separate remote
>transmitters are not "key fobs".)

Elmo, let me first apologize to you for using the wrong wording.
According to Tegger, I should call this a key chip (ignor what I
referred to earlier as a key chip). For the record, regardless what I
call it, it is a key that can open/close/start the car and has a black
plastic at one end of the key with a transmitter to unlock/lock the
doors and for the Accord, trunk too. The key chip I referred to
earlier is what I seem to remember as a very small actually tiny,
rectangular piece of metal (silver in color) that was on the key
chain. It likely had something written/etched on it but I am guessing
on that. I think I got this with the 2003 Accord when new (not on
the key chain I'm using right now so I'll have to find it if my memory
is correct) but did not get any thing like this for the new 2010 CR-V.
Anyway using Tegger's terminology, this key chip (with the plastic) is
what I am concerned about should it get lost. I guess I have to go to
the dealer to replace. I just wondered how they know how to program
it but if they reprogram it, no big deal I guess. I just have to be
sure that if I have another for the same vehicle, that gets programed
the same. No question, I need to read the manual and perhaps talk to
the dealer too. Thank you Elmo for the help and patience. I've been
cooped up inside due to illness but I hope to get out today or
tomorrow. I want to get to the manuals for both the Accord and CR-V
to help me ask the right questions.

Old January 4th 10, 12:15 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Guy[_2_]

:

>> You keep talking about a "key fob". There is no such thing;

>A "key fob" is usually a decorative thingy that many people like to attach
>to their key rings, but sometimes the fob is an activator for an automotive
>security system.
>
>A "key fob" is always separate from the keys themselves.
>
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_fob>
>
>When the key itself has a plastic head that contains a security chip or
>other radio device, it's called a "chipped key".
>
>I believe Honda combines the key and the security device in order to cut
>costs and reduce the number of pieces owners must carry.

Ok, thank you for correcting me. I do mean "chipped key".
Old January 4th 10, 12:16 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Guy[_2_]

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 06:13:57 -0600, "Guy" > wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 22:47:36 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>>> Yes (key fob is part of key). That's why I wondered what or how I
>>> replace it if it gets lost and no key chip either. I will likely ask
>>> the dealer when I'm able to get out and about. No emergency but I'd
>>> like to know.
>>>
>>> I was reminded to ask here earlier today when my wife didn't bother to
>>> put her's on a key chain which I did for her later on. I think it's
>>> a little harder to lose the key chain then just the key fob alone. Why
>>> do women think differently? I know that question doesn't belong in
>>> this newsgroup.

>>You keep talking about a "key fob". There is no such thing; you have a
>>key. It happens to have a built-in remote transmitter, but in the end
>>all you have is a key. (And technically, even the separate remote
>>transmitters are not "key fobs".)

>Elmo, let me first apologize to you for using the wrong wording.
>According to Tegger, I should call this a key chip

Nope... I mean "chipped key" per Tegger. Sorry.

Old January 4th 10, 12:22 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Guy[_2_]

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 07:10:03 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Tegger > wrote:
>
>> > You keep talking about a "key fob". There is no such thing;

>> A "key fob" is usually a decorative thingy that many people like to attach
>> to their key rings, but sometimes the fob is an activator for an automotive
>> security system.

>No, you had it right the first time.
>
>What people insist on calling a "fob" is acually the remote transmitter.
>At one time, it was a separate piece. Now it's attached to the key
>itself, and they're still calling it a "fob"? It's not a fob. It's the
>remote transmitter--and when combined, just call it the KEY, for God's
>sake.

Do I understand correctly then.... the black plastic transmitter that
is part of the key is a "key fob" ? That's what I originally meant
but I wasn't 100% sure I was correct so I let others correct me. My
goal here was just to call it whatever made it easy to talk about.
Old January 4th 10, 01:58 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
pws[_1_]

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> sigh. Stop calling it a fob. It's not a fob. It's a remote
> transmitter for locking and unlocking the doors, and it is completely
> separate and distinct from the chip that's in the key that tells the car
> you are using a legitimate key to start the car.

http://www.newkeyfob.com

Pat
Old January 4th 10, 02:47 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Guy[_2_]

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 08:31:36 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Guy" > wrote:
>
>> Anyway using Tegger's terminology, this key chip (with the plastic) is
>> what I am concerned about should it get lost.

>That's the remote transmitter. And it's attached to the key itself,
>isn't it? You can't lose the remote transmitter without losing the key,
>right?

Yes. I was concerned about losing this item (for lack of the correct
terminology).

Now I have to do more research or better call the dealer and see what
they call this thing (plastic transmitter that is part of the key).
I'm confused what to call it now
Old January 4th 10, 03:27 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Guy[_2_]

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 08:33:21 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Guy" > wrote:
>
>> Do I understand correctly then.... the black plastic transmitter that
>> is part of the key is a "key fob" ?

>sigh. Stop calling it a fob. It's not a fob. It's a remote
>transmitter for locking and unlocking the doors, and it is completely
>separate and distinct from the chip that's in the key that tells the car
>you are using a legitimate key to start the car.

See this link and note the item named "Ridgeline Remotes" . This is
basically what I am trying to talk about. The Accord has one more
button to release the trunk but as I recall this is what my CR-V key
looks like.

http://www.carandtruckremotes.com/honda-remotes.html