US DOT Report Confirms Speed Not Major Accident Cause

Old December 18th 08, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

Default US DOT Report Confirms Speed Not Major Accident Cause

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/26/2627.asp

US DOT Report Confirms Speed Not Major Accident Cause
US Department of Transportation study finds only five percent of crashes
caused by excessive speed.

----------------------------

Can we finally be done with this subject now? Speed does not kill. End
of story.

Old December 18th 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_4_]

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 23:40:14 +0000 (UTC), Brent
> wrote:

>http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/26/2627.asp
>
>US DOT Report Confirms Speed Not Major Accident Cause
>US Department of Transportation study finds only five percent of crashes
>caused by excessive speed.
>
>----------------------------
>
>Can we finally be done with this subject now? Speed does not kill. End
>of story.

From that report as I read it, the top two causes (distraction - 41%
and freezingup/over compensating at 10%) could be lumped together as
follows: poorly trained american (sic) drivers - 51%.

Our resident troll, SFB, is a prime example of this.

--
"What about you? You got a problem with this?"
--Tony Soprano
Old December 18th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

necromancer wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 23:40:14 +0000 (UTC), Brent
> > wrote:
>
>> http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/26/2627.asp
>>
>> US DOT Report Confirms Speed Not Major Accident Cause
>> US Department of Transportation study finds only five percent of crashes
>> caused by excessive speed.
>>
>> ----------------------------
>>
>> Can we finally be done with this subject now? Speed does not kill. End
>> of story.
>>

> From that report as I read it, the top two causes (distraction - 41%
> and freezingup/over compensating at 10%) could be lumped together as
> follows: poorly trained american (sic) drivers - 51%.
>
> Our resident troll, SFB, is a prime example of this.

Anyone who's ever driven in a major East Coast city could have told you
this. Everyone drives fast, but stupid people crash. This is one of
those Ric Romero classic "walking outside during the rain may cause
soggy shoes" type articles. (although it probably should be added to a
FAQ-type response for the next return of Carl Troller...)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old December 19th 08, 05:29 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
The Real Bev[_1_]

Nate Nagel wrote:

> necromancer wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/26/2627.asp
>>>
>>> US DOT Report Confirms Speed Not Major Accident Cause
>>> US Department of Transportation study finds only five percent of crashes
>>> caused by excessive speed.
>>>
>>> Can we finally be done with this subject now? Speed does not kill. End
>>> of story.

>> From that report as I read it, the top two causes (distraction - 41%
>> and freezingup/over compensating at 10%) could be lumped together as
>> follows: poorly trained american (sic) drivers - 51%.
>>
>> Our resident troll, SFB, is a prime example of this.

> Anyone who's ever driven in a major East Coast city could have told you
> this. Everyone drives fast, but stupid people crash. This is one of
> those Ric Romero classic "walking outside during the rain may cause
> soggy shoes" type articles. (although it probably should be added to a
> FAQ-type response for the next return of Carl Troller...)

Consider the possibilities: no more speeding tickets, but the cops
would give the survivors of a crash an IQ test...

Seriously, that report should have far-reaching consequences. Bet it
doesn't :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
"It's no piece of cake, but it sure beats listening to Ted
Old December 19th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_4_]

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 21:29:59 -0800, The Real Bev
> wrote:

>Consider the possibilities: no more speeding tickets, but the cops
>would give the survivors of a crash an IQ test...

Shouldn't the IQ test be given before the license is issued? Would
potentially save a lot of troubles...

--
Q: How do you avoid a tornado in Michigan?

A: Head for Ford Field. They never have a touchdown there.
Old December 19th 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

On Dec 19, 12:29*am, The Real Bev > wrote:

> Seriously, that report should have far-reaching consequences. *Bet it
> doesn't :-(

It probably will, for its stated purpose:

"The objective of NMVCCS was to collect on-scene information on the
events and associated factors leading up to crashes that involve light
vehicles. This information will facilitate the statistical and
clinical analyses that would help identify, develop, and evaluate
current and emerging crash avoidance technologies for the improvement
of highway safety."

They don't actually mention any intent including being ridiculously
extrapolated from by complete imbeciles, then those spurious
conclusions accepted without question by other imbeciles.

Actually reading the report should, for those who are not imbeciles,
quickly reveal the ridiculousness width of the leap to spurious
conclusions by thenewspaper.com and its devotees.

We need not mention the OP's plethora of previous cites of the gubmint
being completely corrupt, useless, and lacking any credibility except
for the hearty guffaw it should generate.
-----

- gpsman
Old December 19th 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
The Real Bev[_1_]

necromancer wrote:

> > wrote:
>>
>>Consider the possibilities: no more speeding tickets, but the cops
>>would give the survivors of a crash an IQ test...

> Shouldn't the IQ test be given before the license is issued? Would
> potentially save a lot of troubles...

Not cost-effective.

1. It costs money to administer the test.

2. No revenue derives until/unless the testee flunks the test after an
accident.

--
Cheers, Bev
Brian (Talking to crowd): You need to be independent minded.
Old December 20th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
E Z Peaces

necromancer wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 23:40:14 +0000 (UTC), Brent
> > wrote:
>
>> http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/26/2627.asp
>>
>> US DOT Report Confirms Speed Not Major Accident Cause
>> US Department of Transportation study finds only five percent of crashes
>> caused by excessive speed.
>>
>> ----------------------------
>>
>> Can we finally be done with this subject now? Speed does not kill. End
>> of story.
>>

> From that report as I read it, the top two causes (distraction - 41%
> and freezingup/over compensating at 10%) could be lumped together as
> follows: poorly trained american (sic) drivers - 51%.

Freezing is only 0.3%.

It says in 22% of accidents, the critical pre-crash event is going off
the edge of the pavement. In my county, that may apply to most fatal
accidents. Sometimes they attribute the accident to overcorrection.
Sometimes they call it a mystery.

Experience may lead a driver to believe cutting onto the pavement is not
dangerous, but if there is not sufficient weight on the left rear tire
at the instant the right rear tire is supposed to climb onto the
pavement, the car will veer left. It can be too sudden for the driver
to know what happened, if the driver survives.

In a case where a car veers left for no known reason, fresh scuffing on
the inner sidewall of the right rear tire would indicate that it had
hung against the edge of the pavement.

I think a lot of states don't want to take responsibility to keep
shoulders safe, and they don't want to be sued when neglected shoulders
lead to accidents. So it's expedient to leave drivers ignorant of the
danger.
Old December 20th 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Studemania

On Dec 18, 3:52*pm, necromancer
> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 23:40:14 +0000 (UTC), Brent
>
> > wrote:
>
> >http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/26/2627.asp

> >US DOT Report Confirms Speed Not Major Accident Cause
> >US Department of Transportation study finds only five percent of crashes
> >caused by excessive speed.

> >----------------------------

> >Can we finally be done with this subject now? Speed does not kill. End
> >of story.

> From that report as I read it, the top two causes (distraction - 41%
> and freezingup/over compensating at 10%) could be lumped together as
> follows: poorly trained american (sic) drivers - 51%.
>
> Our resident troll, SFB, is a prime example of this.
>
> --
> "What about you? You got a problem with this?"
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *--Tony Soprano

"Excessive Speed" as seen by the police or by a safety professional?

There's quite a difference, usually.
Old December 20th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Studemania

On Dec 18, 3:52*pm, necromancer
> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 23:40:14 +0000 (UTC), Brent
>
> > wrote:
>
> >http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/26/2627.asp

> >US DOT Report Confirms Speed Not Major Accident Cause
> >US Department of Transportation study finds only five percent of crashes
> >caused by excessive speed.

> >----------------------------

> >Can we finally be done with this subject now? Speed does not kill. End
> >of story.

> From that report as I read it, the top two causes (distraction - 41%
> and freezingup/over compensating at 10%) could be lumped together as
> follows: poorly trained american (sic) drivers - 51%.
>
> Our resident troll, SFB, is a prime example of this.
>
> --
> "What about you? You got a problem with this?"
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *--Tony Soprano

When I returned to California after livingg in England fpor eight
years, I took me old CDL to the DMV and asked it to be "reactivaated."
The cleark asked me where I had been living (and driving.)
When I said "Britian," she said, "Then there's no point in you taking
a driving test, but go to window 7 and take the law test."

That shows how the pros respect the drivers experienced in at least
that nation.

Chrysler Confirms UAW Ratification vintage Auto Photos 0 October 27th 07 05:30 PM
94 525i driving problem. Major sway at highway speed. [email protected] BMW 2 October 10th 07 05:49 PM
<Obvious> UK report: Poor Driving Kills, not speed. Brent P[_1_] Driving 4 September 20th 07 12:16 AM
Report an accident? ahmed Driving 6 May 30th 07 05:48 PM
States Boost Speed Limits On Major Highways gpsman Driving 103 July 28th 06 10:29 PM