New top.

Old September 12th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Default New top.

"XS11E" > wrote in message
. 184...
> "Frank Berger" > wrote:

>>> Very helpful if the only parking space left is under a tree. :-)
>>>
>>> http://www.miata.net/skidmarks/images/BirdMiata.jpg
>>>
>>> Pat
>>>

>> Yes, of course. I got the impression XS11E puts the top up and
>> latches it

> I do.
>
>> and zips the window evertime he parks.

> The window doesn't zip.
>
>> Like maybe to protect valuables? Ha Ha Ha.

> Don't laugh, having anything valuable out of sight is the first step in
> protecting it. Most thieves won't go to very much trouble w/o knowing
> there's something worth stealing in the vehicle.

Of course it helps to keep valuables out of sight. Better yet, keep them in
the trunk and the top down. That's the way to minimize vandalism. I once
had an expensive pair of prescription sunglasses disappear since I failed to
anticipate that some idiot would consider them valuable. I suppose he could
have tried them on and found we had the same prescription. I guess then I
would be the idiot.

Old September 15th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

pws > wrote:

>I might have considered a Miata coupe had it been offered, true blasphemy.

Maybe, but a common one. Here in Tallahassee, lots of Miatas drive around
with hardtops on *permanently*. I would ballpark it at 25%. Maybe you
do not appreciate that open air feeling that much if you get so much of
it anyway. (At least one driver also noted to me that he thought an open
top a bit of a scary feeling.)

Through the years, Mazda has toyed with the idea of offering a coupe
version, I believe. I assume they never went for it because the detachable
hard top would be too much in-house competition.

Leon
--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old September 15th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

pws > wrote:

> Besides, it is kind of neat that every production Miata is a
> roadster

Technically, Miata has never made a roadster. The roll up windows (as
opposed to removeable side curtains) classify it as a cabriolet.

Old September 15th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article > ,
XS11E > wrote:

> Technically, Miata has never made a roadster. The roll up windows (as
> opposed to removeable side curtains) classify it as a cabriolet.

I've got your back on this one. What's more, a true roadster's
windshield is easily removable (e.g., MGA, TR3). Synonyms for roadster:
"drafty" and "leaky."

Notwithstanding the purist definition, and having suffered roadsters in
my youth, I'll take a cabriolet any day!
Old September 15th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

> In article > ,
> XS11E > wrote:
>
>> Technically, Miata has never made a roadster. The roll up
>> windows (as opposed to removeable side curtains) classify it as a
>> cabriolet.

> I've got your back on this one. What's more, a true roadster's
> windshield is easily removable (e.g., MGA, TR3). Synonyms for
> roadster: "drafty" and "leaky."
>
> Notwithstanding the purist definition, and having suffered
> roadsters in my youth, I'll take a cabriolet any day!

Oh, yeah. I recall frantically unsnapping the TR-3s tonneau, erecting
the top frame, grabbing the folded top from the trunk and snapping it
in place and then putting on the side curtains before the typical
Arizona 6 inches in 30 seconds rain filled the car..... :-(

I like reaching back, flipping up the top and hitting the window
buttons!

Old September 27th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Default New top, was: New top.

XS11E > wrote:

> I'm less that thrilled with my new top, yesterday I found the rear
> window was coming unglued, the same problem that "mdginzo" posted
> Aug. 8th. Mine lasted from 9/6/07 to 9/10/07 or maybe not, I
> noticed it last night but it could have begun separating sooner
> than that?
>
> Robbins is sending a new one, hope they've got the glue problem
> solved by now?
>
> I'll do things differently this time, I'll drive it home from the
> shop with the top UP much as I'd like it down and I'll leave it up
> for at least two days... maybe I put it down too soon before
> everything was stretched to shape because it was really hard to
> get it to latch the first time I tried.

Update. It took until Monday to get the new top from Robbins. That's
exactly two weeks, usual shipping time is two days. Robbins says it's
an "improved" design which may explain the delay? I picked the car up
today, the top is to stay up for 3 days or longer before I put it down
so I'll follow directions and we shall see what we shall see.

Until the top has been on for a couple of weeks and been raised and
lowered a bunch of times I'd personally recommend avoiding that
particular top but as always, YMMV. If you're planning on a new top it
probably won't hurt you to wait a couple of weeks and see what happens
with this one, particularly since it's the second failure in a month...

What I got is the Robbins 2918, it's on their website or it's MM's part
number 239-580 he
http://www.miatamania.com/Shop/ViewP...eIndexID=58586

The MM site shows the same as before, the Robbins site shows the top is
"redesigned" so who knows? Wish me luck!

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old September 27th 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

pws > wrote:

> Are they paying for the labor?

Someone other than me is, I didn't ask who.

> I'll bet that it is "re-designed".

Probably different glue?

> Batch of bad glue? Disgruntled employee? Who knows? Keep us
> updated.....

I will for sure!

> Thanks and best of luck!

Thanks.