New top.

Old September 10th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Default New top.

I'm less that thrilled with my new top, yesterday I found the rear
window was coming unglued, the same problem that "mdginzo" posted Aug.
8th. Mine lasted from 9/6/07 to 9/10/07 or maybe not, I noticed it
last night but it could have begun separating sooner than that?

Robbins is sending a new one, hope they've got the glue problem solved
by now?

I'll do things differently this time, I'll drive it home from the shop
with the top UP much as I'd like it down and I'll leave it up for at
least two days... maybe I put it down too soon before everything was
stretched to shape because it was really hard to get it to latch the
first time I tried.

Old September 12th 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

XS11E > wrote:

>I'm less that thrilled with my new top, yesterday I found the rear
>window was coming unglued, the same problem that "mdginzo" posted Aug.
>8th. Mine lasted from 9/6/07 to 9/10/07 or maybe not, I noticed it
>last night but it could have begun separating sooner than that?
>
>Robbins is sending a new one, hope they've got the glue problem solved
>by now?
>
>I'll do things differently this time, I'll drive it home from the shop
>with the top UP much as I'd like it down and I'll leave it up for at
>least two days... maybe I put it down too soon before everything was
>stretched to shape because it was really hard to get it to latch the
>first time I tried.

That is normal. The window becoming unglued is not.

Leon
--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old September 12th 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

pws > wrote:

> XS11E wrote:
>

>> I don't know, I'm the second person here to have this happen....

> That is just recently, and this isn't exactly a high-traffic
> newsgroup.
>
>> I sure HOPE it won't happen again but I'm a little worried.

> I would be worried too......Good luck!

The shop is still saying I should get a plastic window but I won't, I
do NOT want to unzip the window or get out of the car to put a foam
thingy in the window to keep it from creasing.

Ann at Mike's place said their supplier suggested a different top also
but dammit, I've REALLY enjoyed the car since the new top went on, I
like getting in, dropping the top and putting it up when I park, it's
made a world of difference to me.

Old September 12th 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

"XS11E" > wrote in message
. 184...
> pws > wrote:
>
>> XS11E wrote:
>>

>>> I don't know, I'm the second person here to have this happen....

>> That is just recently, and this isn't exactly a high-traffic
>> newsgroup.
>>
>>> I sure HOPE it won't happen again but I'm a little worried.

>> I would be worried too......Good luck!

> The shop is still saying I should get a plastic window but I won't, I
> do NOT want to unzip the window or get out of the car to put a foam
> thingy in the window to keep it from creasing.
>
> Ann at Mike's place said their supplier suggested a different top also
> but dammit, I've REALLY enjoyed the car since the new top went on, I
> like getting in, dropping the top and putting it up when I park, it's
> made a world of difference to me.

Why do you put the top up when you park?

Old September 12th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pltrgyst[_1_]

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:28:05 -0700, XS11E > wrote:

>....I do NOT want to unzip the window or get out of the car to put a foam
>thingy in the window to keep it from creasing.
>
>.... I've REALLY enjoyed the car since the new top went on, I
>like getting in, dropping the top and putting it up when I park, it's
>made a world of difference to me.

Guess we all use our Miatae in different ways. My 95 R with Hard Core has a
completely shot rear window - cracked through all the way across, a couple of
small chunks missing. I've had a new top for it for over two years, but haven't
bothered to install it yet.

When I park, I just throw the top up (don't bother latching it) to deflect heat
and absorb carpet bombings from flocks of geese. If it's overnight or raining,
the car's either in the garage or a waterproof cockpit cover goes over the shot
top in about thirty seconds.

Sometime in December, the hard top goes on; sometime in March, it comes off.

Works for me, but then I grew up driving a Triumph with nothing but a tonneau
cover... YMMV.

-- Larry
Old September 12th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

"pws" > wrote in message
> Frank Berger wrote:
>
>> Why do you put the top up when you park?

> Very helpful if the only parking space left is under a tree. :-)
>
> http://www.miata.net/skidmarks/images/BirdMiata.jpg
>
> Pat

Yes, of course. I got the impression XS11E puts the top up and latches it
and zips the window evertime he parks. Like maybe to protect valuables? Ha
Ha Ha.

Old September 12th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

"Frank Berger" > wrote:

> "pws" > wrote in message
>> Frank Berger wrote:
>>
>>> Why do you put the top up when you park?

>> Very helpful if the only parking space left is under a tree. :-)
>>
>> http://www.miata.net/skidmarks/images/BirdMiata.jpg
>>
>> Pat
>>

> Yes, of course. I got the impression XS11E puts the top up and
> latches it

I do.

> and zips the window evertime he parks.

The window doesn't zip.

> Like maybe to protect valuables? Ha Ha Ha.

Don't laugh, having anything valuable out of sight is the first step in
protecting it. Most thieves won't go to very much trouble w/o knowing
there's something worth stealing in the vehicle.

Old September 12th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

"pws" > wrote in message
> pltrgyst wrote:
>
>> Guess we all use our Miatae in different ways. My 95 R with Hard Core has
>> completely shot rear window - cracked through all the way across, a
>> couple of
>> small chunks missing. I've had a new top for it for over two years, but
>> haven't
>> bothered to install it yet.

> You have me beat, I have only waited about 10 months to replace mine so
> far. The (new to me) near-mint top is just sitting there waiting.
>
>> When I park, I just throw the top up (don't bother latching it) to
>> deflect heat
>> and absorb carpet bombings from flocks of geese.

> I do that as well and for the same reasons.
> Since I don't use a boot, it is fast and save a little fading on the
> underside of the top as well.
>
>> If it's overnight or raining, the car's either in the garage or a
>> waterproof cockpit cover goes over the shot
>> top in about thirty seconds.

> My Miata is my only car, and we had record levels of rain this summer. I
> needed a top that did not leak in some very heavy downpours. Since I am
> driving in the rain, the rear visibility with a clear glass window added
> to the safety level when I had one.
>
> If at all possible, I try to keep it under cover and off the road when it
> is wet out, but with semi-regular 40+ mile commutes and so much rain, that
> wasn't close to possible, plus I stay some nights at a location with no
> covered parking.
> I missed my glass window a lot this summer.
>
>> Sometime in December, the hard top goes on; sometime in March, it comes
>> off.

> Still never had a hard top. I want one, even here.
>
>> Works for me, but then I grew up driving a Triumph with nothing but a
>> tonneau
>> cover... YMMV.
>>
>> -- Larry

> The Miata is my first convertible. I had always been turned off by their
> lack of security, seeing friends have roof problems that I did not have to
> deal with, etc., but the Miata grabbed me.
>
> I like the ragtop, but it is often up and it is not the main reason that
> the Miata is the car I drive, but probably in the top 5 by now. :-)
>
> I might have considered a Miata coupe had it been offered, true blasphemy.
>
> Pat

I never felt my Miata to be particularly less comfortable nor convenient nor
safe to drive in the rain than any other car I've owned, aside from the very
occasional splash from another driver that hits square where the top meets
the windshield and sprays me a little. I can't imagine why that would be a
problem unless I were wearing a Tux on my way to a wedding. It's true the
visibility through the plastic window isn't ideal, nor is having to crane
your neck to see over/around the seatback, but lot's of cars have even worse
visibility problems.

Old September 12th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

"pws" > wrote in message
> Frank Berger wrote:
>
>> Yes, of course. I got the impression XS11E puts the top up and latches
>> it and zips the window evertime he parks. Like maybe to protect
>> valuables? Ha Ha Ha.

> Heh-heh, one of the main reasons I put it up if I am going to be away from
> the car for any amount of time is that I had a couple of very surprise
> thunderstorms hit me the first year that I had the car and I got tired of
> drying it out.
>
> I remember running around the apartment parking lot, pulling up both mine
> and another Miata top and then trying on a Camaro before I realized that
> it was electric.
> He got a decent soaking, though we did get a tarp over his car before it
> got really wet.
> Most of the convertible owners in that area had left their tops down
> because there was "no chance of rain" that day......
>
> Pat

In 11 years, my car as been rained on accidentally twice that I can
remember. Maybe we get less "unexpected" rain in Dallas. Once I was
driving on the freeway when a downpour started. At 60+ mph I stayed
completely dry, though the rain was hitting the windshield hard enough to
require maximum wipeage. But I had to get off and slow down. Before I could
get the top up, I got soaked.