How to sell a classic

Old August 3rd 07, 01:40 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
The Laughing Bear

Default How to sell a classic

Sorry Charlie; I totally forgot to thank you for the links.
I will go there and check them out. A good start.
Thank you!

..-="_- _
_.-=" _- | ||"""""""---._______ __..
___.===""""-.______-,,,,,,,,,,,,`-''----" """"" """""
__'
__.--"" __ ,' o \ __
[__|
__-""=======.--"" ""--.=================================.--""
""--.=======:
] [w] : / \ : |========================| : / \ : [w]
:
V___________:| |: |========================| :| |:
_-"
V__________: \ / :_|=======================/_____: \ / :__-"
-----------' ""____"" `-------------------------------' ""____""

Old August 3rd 07, 02:39 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob G.[_2_]

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 11:41:54 -0700, "The Laughing Bear"
> wrote:

>Hello to all you experts.

Well I am sure no expert ...

I undersatand you own a 1967 Sting Ray (2 words) and want to sell it
but have no idea of what it is worth? The simple answer is anywhere
from a low of `15K to as much as 100K... all depending on a long list
of factors ..

I would long onto the Corvette Forum and go into the C1-2 discusion
groups, and ask... !

Post a few Pictures etc... This will at least get you a feel what the
owners of these cars "think" its worth...

Bob G.

Old August 3rd 07, 06:49 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ[_4_]

The Laughing Bear wrote:
> Hello to all you experts.
>
> Please understand that I do not want to misuse this group to sell
> something.
> However, I have lived somewhat in a closet and now I find myself in the
> position that I want to sell my 67, frame-off restored, with all matching
> numbers, Stingray.
> I have no idea how to begin this, as I do not want this car to end up with
> some punk who just happens to have too much money.
> I have loved this car and cared for it as if it was a baby. So an ad in just
> some car magazine does not seem to be right.
> The next owner should have as much appreciation for this car as I always
> had. I know a few of your guys must feel the same about the car you own.
> Does anyone have experience of how to let a wonderful car live on with
> someone else and still get the right amount of money for it?
> It might sound silly, but I do not even know how to price my car. I looked
> around at Ebay, but I am still not confident about pricing it.
> Is Ebay a good place to sell? Or are there better places to reach a
> potential appropriate buyer? This car has been licensed in the US as well as
> Canada. I will even hand deliver to make sure nothing can go wrong with my
> baby.
>
> Cheers
> Lindy & Michael

Lucked out on one like this. I first
contacted the local PCA group then called the
guy from whom I'd bought my 914-6. Showed
him the car and told him I was putting it up
for sale. Wondered if he knew of an
enthusiast.

He said yes he did. He was interested. We
negotiated an honest price that returned all
of my investment and gave him back his
'darling' with an engine rebuild, new
suspension, paint and interior. (didn't
reimburse me for all the 'smog' headaches
that I had with that car though!) 8-(

Start local. Circulate the word through
Corvette groups. Get opinions from them.
Ask for leads. Contact the prior owner or
his/her family.

If none of this works, then move the sale out
of town -- 'distressed goods' don't play well.

--
pj
Old August 3rd 07, 07:22 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Charlie[_4_]

No problem, let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

Old August 3rd 07, 07:25 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Charlie[_4_]

Yes, it is the anniversary year, but it's Polo green with tan interior and
top. It has the 40th logo embroidered in the headrests, but it's not the
40th Anniversary color scheme. I agree that it's a keeper, Polo green was a
low production color and I've kept it as stock as I could. It still looks
great and I get compliments on it all the time.

Old August 4th 07, 12:23 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
dave

'Please understand that I do not want to misuse this group to sell
something.
However, I have lived somewhat in a closet and now I find myself in the
position that I want to sell my 67, frame-off restored, with all
matching numbers, Stingray. '

REPLY: Its not a mis-use to try to sell something in this NG or anothe
other NG for that matter. Youre welcome to it and it just may be
something that somebody in here wants.

Old August 4th 07, 05:19 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"dave" > wrote in message
> 'Please understand that I do not want to misuse this group
> to sell
> something.
> However, I have lived somewhat in a closet and now I find
> myself in the
> position that I want to sell my 67, frame-off restored,
> with all
> matching numbers, Stingray. '
>
> REPLY: Its not a mis-use to try to sell something in this
> NG or anothe
> other NG for that matter. Youre welcome to it and it just
> may be
> something that somebody in here wants.

Actually it is mis-use to try to sell something in this NG
or
many other NG's for that matter.

Not everyone comes to n/g's to view ads
--
"Key"
=====

Old August 4th 07, 08:28 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Tom in Missouri

The 40th Anniversary package included the Ruby Red color only. If it isn't
Ruby Red, it isn't an Anniversary edition. All '93s got the 40th
anniversary on the seats.

It is the same deal as the '78s. Many think they have a 25th Anniversary or
Silver Anniversary model because all '78s have the badge. But only the
Silver over gray are the Silver Anniversary models.

Personally, I like the green better than the Ruby Red, but as the old saying
goes, I wouldn't kick any of them out of my garage for eating crackers (or
something like that).

Old August 5th 07, 12:22 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Charlie[_4_]

Yeah, I know that, but most the 1993's I've seen have long lost their
embroidered headrest. I found a guy here that will build me new seat covers
around the original headrest and when I decide to restore my car, I plan to
take that route. I like the color better as well, I've had red Corvettes
and none of them have gotten the attention that this one has. From infants
craning their heads around to look at it, to an 80 year old lady that
stopped me in a parking lot to tell me how beautiful it was, to the girl
that rolled her window down at a stoplight to tell me she'd love to go for a
ride and then tossed her number to me (which my wife promptly took away
<g>), I rarely go anywhere where someone doesn't make a comment about the
car.

I'm thinking of adding another C-4 to my ragtag collection of cars when I
get rid of a couple of them, it's a 1995 or 1996 triple black that is only 1
of 150 that came stock with the LT-4 engine. It belongs to a friend of ours
and she's thinking of selling it.

Old August 16th 07, 03:50 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Tom in Missouri

First off, all '67 Corvettes are not created equally. As such, the price
range spread is beyond belief to most people. Removing the 20 L88s and the
16 L89s from the picture, which will go anywhere from $200,000 to $1,000,000
based on condition, originality, etc., you have basically complete, good
condition or better running big blocks going from $100,000 to $250,000.

The Last Sting Ray is an exception, for an important reason.

Small blocks are much cheaper, which is why so many have them. They will
range $60,000 to slightly over $100,000 based on options, conditions,
originality, and so on.

The Desert Rat is similar to yours only in that it is a '67 coupe.

Matching numbers is a salesman's term today. It means little in real value.
Originality is what counts and matching numbers does not mean original.

The pictures are nice, but you have skipped the details. Anyone paying big
money want to see the details. These three items need large clear pictures
that you can tell the marks in the metal:
1. Engine stamp pad in front of passenger side head
2. Trim tag under glove box
3. VIN tag under glove box

These need to be clear, sharp, and large enough to tell the small items such
as the broach marks on the pad, the edges of the tags, and more. A picture
from 5 feet or any without using the macro function of a camera is
worthless. Any that are slightly out of focus do more damage than good, as
it seems you are either an idiot who can't use his camera or trying to hide
something.

While the body was off, you should have taken pictures of the frame VIN.

Your car is a base engine automatic. For some, the automatic is desirable
now with their worn-out knees and 65 to 80 year old bodies. But the four
speed still has the majority of the market desire. The 300 hp is a solid
car, but it will hardly get better gas mileage than any Corvette newer than
1984. I bet it is lucky to be pushing 20 mpg and more likely around 17-18.

You do have the advantage of a recent body off restoration, and several
desirable options such as air conditioning and power windows. However, they
won't drive yours that much higher than others.

You have a restored car, but there seems to be no mention of Bloomington or
NCRS awards. These make a difference in price and indicate the level of
restoration.

I'd guess that $70,000 to $80,000 is the range you will be getting. A good
auction can drive that higher through buying frenzy, but if the auction
house decides to go easy, it could actually go lower. The January 2007
Barrett Jackson was like that on midyear Corvettes, and made many mad at how
they had announced these cars were not gaining and were possibly losing in
value. Then the very quick push through on many let the prices slip more.
An original owner restored Z06 coupe went for only $185,000 and should have
been around $225,000 to $250,000. The Last Sting Ray only went for $600,000
and they were expecting around $750,000. So timing is everything. The
right auction at the right time and you could be $100,000 but on the regular
market, my initial price range stands.

eBay is good for exposure on high dollar cars. They usually do not get the
big bucks, as the millionaires who by them don't normally scan eBay each
day. So for $85 and a high reserve, you get to flash it before thousands
and maybe even sell it. The best time is often a few weeks before a big
auction for exposure, or after a big auction to take advantage of the price
gougings.

Do a search for "classic car auctions" to find auctions.

Good luck with your sale.