Rear suspension....HELP!

Old July 8th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Default Rear suspension....HELP!

No springs are missing.

The part of the suspension you are talking about operates as an auxiliary
torsion bar (the main torsion bars/springs are inside the big tubes, where
the suspension arms pivot).
When the car gets more weight and the rear sits lower, the bushings seat on
the "supports", and the second auxiliary torsion bar gets activated. It is
like having a stiffer spring when you put more weight on the vehicle.

Also when the rear of the car gets lifted (eg, when turning or when
aerodynamicaly lifted during high speeds) this device limits the rear
suspension from folding the wheels under and improves stability.

Photo 2 is not very clear, something seems retrofited, but if you don't have
any interference problems this would not be something to worry about.

Please do not post pictures here, this is a text only newsgroup. Put them
in a webite and post a link to them.

Bill,
'67 Bug.

? "Manuel Macedo" > ?????? ??? ??????

Old July 8th 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Manuel Macedo

Thanks!
Sorry about the pics

On 07/07/08 2:08, in article , "Bill
Spiliotopoulos" > wrote:

> No springs are missing.
>
> The part of the suspension you are talking about operates as an auxiliary
> torsion bar (the main torsion bars/springs are inside the big tubes, where
> the suspension arms pivot).
> When the car gets more weight and the rear sits lower, the bushings seat on
> the "supports", and the second auxiliary torsion bar gets activated. It is
> like having a stiffer spring when you put more weight on the vehicle.
>
> Also when the rear of the car gets lifted (eg, when turning or when
> aerodynamicaly lifted during high speeds) this device limits the rear
> suspension from folding the wheels under and improves stability.
>
> Photo 2 is not very clear, something seems retrofited, but if you don't have
> any interference problems this would not be something to worry about.
>
> Please do not post pictures here, this is a text only newsgroup. Put them
> in a webite and post a link to them.
>

> Bill,
> '67 Bug.
>

> ? "Manuel Macedo" > ?????? ??? ??????
>> Hi,
>> I'm halfway in restoring a '70 1300L bug, and while disassembling I found
>> myself with a question: should the rear suspension have a spring there?
>> (photo1) it looks like it, but I'm not sure.
>> On the left rear wheel the same support that i found wierd not having a
>> spring has a twin right next to it (photo2), looks like someone made some
>> repairing and welded a support right next to the original one (who seems
>> have been lowered for some reason. Can I trust this repair? Thanks.
>>
>> Manuel Macedo
>> Portugal

droopy rear suspension on 156 Humpty Dumpty Alfa Romeo 2 August 11th 06 11:10 PM
Rear suspension E36 steve14775 BMW 0 May 13th 06 04:37 PM
E39 creaking rear suspension Grunff BMW 1 March 4th 06 08:57 PM
Rear suspension is off! TeGGeR® Honda 15 July 24th 05 03:55 AM
Vue rear suspension, 02 irl rules Saturn 0 April 23rd 05 04:50 PM