Slight starting issue

Old October 29th 04, 03:34 PM
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

Thanks Tim and Bob! This explanation makes sense. I'll prop the engine
compartment door open when I expect to be needing the car within 30
minutes or so, and see how that affects this hot carb effect. Since I
have taken everything back to stock (except the SDVA dizzie) I know that
I don't have anything attractive in there for covetous kids looking for
swell performance engine parts. Just a boring old baywindow.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus

-=-=-
.... "We didn't send you to Washington to make intelligent decisions. We sent
you to represent us."
-- Kent York, Baptist minister to US Rep. Bill Sarpalius.

Old October 29th 04, 04:59 PM
Eduardo K.

In article >,
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott et> wrote:
>Thanks Tim and Bob! This explanation makes sense. I'll prop the engine
>compartment door open when I expect to be needing the car within 30
>minutes or so, and see how that affects this hot carb effect. Since I
>have taken everything back to stock (except the SDVA dizzie) I know that
>I don't have anything attractive in there for covetous kids looking for
>swell performance engine parts. Just a boring old baywindow.

Another thing. Always crank with the gas pedal to the floor when
the engine is warm... It will clear the flodding really quick.

--
Eduardo K. |
http://e.nn.cl | Linus Torvalds
Old October 29th 04, 10:27 PM
Bob Hoover

FOLLOW-UP:

The use of turbo tape or other insulation, in conjunction with a
thermal barrier gasket, was the originally recommended fix for this
problem but VW stopped recommending it when they found it promoted
rusting of the manifold. The rust would progress under the cast
aluminum of the siamesed section and cause the aluminum to crack.
This sounds pretty extreme and I suspect the problem was linked to the
use of salt on the roads but since the dealer did the install they
were also responsible for the required repair.

This technique (ie, insulating the manifold) might be worth a try here
in sunny sudden California using some of the more modern insulations
such as Fiber-Frax. (Home boys used ironing board pads with pretty
good results :-)

-Bob Hoover
Old October 30th 04, 03:21 AM
ilambert

More likely a fuel, vapor lock,heat soak thing.The gas in the line get hot
sitting in the line between the pump and the carb.4 or 5 seconds for the
pump the pump up new gas.No biggy.The choke shouldn't even be activating
after only 30 minutes.If it is,roll it back some more(less pressure-CCW).
"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
news

Old October 30th 04, 03:25 AM
ilambert

Wrapping the fuel line 'tween the pump and carb with tin foil helps if it's
a problem.As a side benefit,it keeps aliens from jamming your motor.

Old October 30th 04, 03:39 AM
Tim Rogers

"ilambert" > wrote in message

> Wrapping the fuel line 'tween the pump and carb with tin foil helps if

it's
> a problem.As a side benefit,it keeps aliens from jamming your motor.

.............That would help if there was vapor lock in the line caused by a
hot engine compartment. It wouldn't do anything for the more common problem
of gas boiling out of the carb's float chamber.

Old October 30th 04, 03:47 AM
Tim Rogers

"ilambert" > wrote in message

> More likely a fuel, vapor lock,heat soak thing.The gas in the line get hot
> sitting in the line between the pump and the carb.4 or 5 seconds for the
> pump the pump up new gas.No biggy.The choke shouldn't even be activating
> after only 30 minutes.If it is,roll it back some more(less pressure-CCW).

..............The gas in the line doesn't boil as easily as in the carb's
float chamber. The float chamber is vented so that pressure can't build up
like it does in the line where there's a float activated valve leading into
the float chamber. When pressure rises, the boiling point rises. Vapor lock
is a relatively uncommon problem compared to the typical flooded out
situation involving the carb's float chamber vent spewing gas down the
throat of the carb.

Old October 30th 04, 03:48 AM
ilambert

True,true.But the amount of gas in the line is much greater and I don.'t
know of a cure for chamber heat.

Old November 8th 04, 03:16 PM
Narley Dude®

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:25:59 -0400, "ilambert" >
wrote:

>Wrapping the fuel line 'tween the pump and carb with tin foil helps if it's
>a problem.As a side benefit,it keeps aliens from jamming your motor.
>"Tim Rogers" > wrote in message
>> "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
>> et> wrote in message
>> news
>>>
>>> Maybe the choke does not quite track the engine's condition in between
>>> hot and cold?
>>>

>> ...............That's right. It doesn't work effectively when the ignition
>> has been off for more than a few minutes. You get too much choke with a
>> hot
>> engine and flood the engine. I used to adjust it back almost all the way
>> 'lean' when driving in hot weather to lessen this problem. Another thing
>> that could be working against you is the common problem of engine heat
>> causing the gas to boil out of the carb's float chamber and causing
>> flooding
>> as well. I don't know of an easy fix for that one. Do you have one of
>> those
>> fiber whatever isolators between the carb and the manifold?

I've had that problem as well time ago. Sure enough it was the metal
fuel line that comes from under the car that goes to the gas tank, it
was touching the manifold causing vapor lock. One easy way to find
out: Next time it locks up, pour some cold water on the fuel pump to
cool it down. If it starts right back up... You know what your problem
is.

Narley Dude®