ISO: Oil Change Info

Old September 23rd 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Geary Morton

Default ISO: Oil Change Info

I recently bought a '99 Miata and would like to change my own oil &
filter. Are there any gotcha's I should know about? Also, are 3rd
party oil & air filters (like Fram or Purolator) okay to use? Thanks in
advance.

---Geary
Old September 23rd 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Default Oil Change Info

Geary Morton wrote:
>I recently bought a '99 Miata and would like to change my own oil &
> filter. Are there any gotcha's I should know about? Also, are 3rd
> party oil & air filters (like Fram or Purolator) okay to use?
> Thanks in
> advance.

You're better off spending a couple bucks more and buying the OEM
filters - particularly the oil filter.

And this section http://www.miata.net/garage/oil_for_novices.html of
miata.net has full directions for changing your oil and filter.

Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata
Hmmm, it's almost time to do the first oil change on the new car......

Old September 23rd 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Geary Morton > wrote:

> I recently bought a '99 Miata and would like to change my own oil &
> filter. Are there any gotcha's I should know about?

http://www.miata.net/garage/oil_for_novices.html

The miata.net Garage has instructions and tips for nearly any
maintenance procedure you could imagine.

> Also, are 3rd party oil & air filters (like Fram or Purolator) okay
> to use?

Some think so. Many owners consider OEM Mazda filters the best you can
buy, though, and they're not expensive if you order them from Finish
Line Performance or Trussville Mazda. My mechanic won't use anything but
Mazda filters in my Miata and 3.
Old September 28th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Geary, the NB's more of a challenge than most cars. Read up a bit. Most of
us have to do some pretty wacky contortions if we don't have the relocation
kit installed. I generally have to turn my front wheels all the way to the
left and go in through the wheel well (no tools) OR, if you get the (cup
shaped) filter wrench that exactly fits over the end of the filter and uses
a std 3/8" ratchet, you can probably get it done from up above. PIA though,
that's for sure.

Oh, makes a huge mess down below if you don't make a good plan for that. I
shape a paper plate into a sort of funnel shape and guide the oil thru the
frame. Some catch the oil with a disposable baby diaper but since baby
diapers and used oil are two of the worst things in the dumps, I like the
paper plate method.

Good luck,
Chris
99BBB

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Geary Morton > wrote:
>
>> I recently bought a '99 Miata and would like to change my own oil &
>> filter. Are there any gotcha's I should know about?

> http://www.miata.net/garage/oil_for_novices.html
>
> The miata.net Garage has instructions and tips for nearly any
> maintenance procedure you could imagine.
>
>> Also, are 3rd party oil & air filters (like Fram or Purolator) okay
>> to use?

> Some think so. Many owners consider OEM Mazda filters the best you can
> buy, though, and they're not expensive if you order them from Finish
> Line Performance or Trussville Mazda. My mechanic won't use anything but
> Mazda filters in my Miata and 3.

Transmission fluid: To Change or Not to Change Yank_fan_2965 Technology 10 April 16th 06 07:17 AM
info 323 i-ci Oberon BMW 7 October 31st 05 06:19 PM
98 4cyl Camry with 150k mileage. Need tuneup info and brake info. [email protected] Technology 4 September 20th 05 04:51 AM
Info on 02 Vue Tikka3006 Saturn 0 June 27th 05 04:12 PM
Cambelt change info for Audi V6 Richard Goulding Audi 0 July 21st 04 11:22 PM