Anyone with a crystal ball ?

Old February 21st 10, 08:34 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Default Anyone with a crystal ball ?

Engines: Since the money for the Ultra and V12 projects was killed over
18 months ago < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine >,
are there any "insider" or "outsider" guesses as to where the vette
might be heading ?

Hood Height: And, are we willing to add a couple of inches to hood height?

Boxer anyone ?
Old February 21st 10, 10:48 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad

"pj" > wrote in message
> Engines: Since the money for the Ultra and V12 projects was killed over
> 18 months ago < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine >, are
> there any "insider" or "outsider" guesses as to where the vette might be
> heading ?
>
> Hood Height: And, are we willing to add a couple of inches to hood
> height?
>
> Boxer anyone ?

Holden may keep them going with their innovations but I think their chances
are slim. Some of what they developed will stay in the GM cars but it will
be begrudgingly accepted by the old school GM management.

Have very little contact with GM power train anymore as most of the people I
knew that worked there have long since retired. Last I saw was the aluminum
V10 engine and that has been more than 2 years ago.

GM will continue as they have in the past by doing as little as possible to
get as many sales dollars as possible out of minimal expenditure. All the
while sticking it to the dealers and the dealers will continue to pass it on
to the customers.

In today's government environment the Corvette may have numbered days/years
left.

Old February 21st 10, 10:59 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"Dad" > wrote in message

> In today's government environment the Corvette may have numbered
> days/years left.

I still feel Corvette needs to break away from GM entirely and pick up that
now orphaned Pontiac Solstice as a "price-point" offering.

-W

Old February 22nd 10, 12:47 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
kickstart

> In today's government environment the Corvette may have numbered days/years
> left.

WOW my 79 may start to appreciate !!
Finally

kickstart
Old February 22nd 10, 03:06 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .

> "pj" > wrote in message
>> Engines: Since the money for the Ultra and V12 projects was killed over
>> 18 months ago < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine >,
>> are there any "insider" or "outsider" guesses as to where the vette might
>> be heading ?
>>
>> Hood Height: And, are we willing to add a couple of inches to hood
>> height?
>>
>> Boxer anyone ?

> Holden may keep them going with their innovations but I think their
> chances are slim. Some of what they developed will stay in the GM cars but
> it will be begrudgingly accepted by the old school GM management.
>
> Have very little contact with GM power train anymore as most of the people
> I knew that worked there have long since retired. Last I saw was the
> aluminum V10 engine and that has been more than 2 years ago.
>
> GM will continue as they have in the past by doing as little as possible
> to get as many sales dollars as possible out of minimal expenditure. All
> the while sticking it to the dealers and the dealers will continue to pass
> it on to the customers.
>
> In today's government environment the Corvette may have numbered
> days/years left.

I don't think the Corvette will go away. Maybe we can get some Pentagon
General to claim there's a military need for such a car. As long as GM can
make it profitably, and the last comment I heard was, "It pulls it's own
weight," it will continue on.

AJM
'93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Old February 22nd 10, 07:18 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad

"CardsFan" > wrote in message

> "Dad" > wrote in message
> .. .

Snip
>> GM will continue as they have in the past by doing as little as possible
>> to get as many sales dollars as possible out of minimal expenditure. All
>> the while sticking it to the dealers and the dealers will continue to
>> pass it on to the customers.
>>
>> In today's government environment the Corvette may have numbered
>> days/years left.

> I don't think the Corvette will go away. Maybe we can get some Pentagon
> General to claim there's a military need for such a car. As long as GM
> can make it profitably, and the last comment I heard was, "It pulls it's
> own weight," it will continue on.
>
> AJM
> '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Interesting - http://www.freep.com/article/2010022...4/2210510/1331
but nothing to advance a sound theory on GM's direction for Corvette.

Production may make their decision for them....

1990 23,646
1991 20,639
1992 20,479
1993 21,590
1994 23,330
1995 20,742
1996 21,536
1997 9,752
1998 31,084
1999 33,270
2000 33,682
2001 35,627
2002 35,767
2003 35,469
2004 34,064
2005 37,372
2006 34,021
2007 40,561
2008 35,310
2009 16,956
2010 could be close to the 1997 production. When you're used to an income of
$2 billion and it drops to $600 million with fixed/variable costs that don't
go away you looks for some drastic moves to keep the bleeding in check.
There is always a chance that they will pull up their knickers and run away
from the dedicated Corvette following. Can you say Camaro, Fiero, Allante,
Reatta, Firebird, Oldsmobile, Saturn, and Pontiac? Not to mention the throw
away cars that they have dumped.

They need to dump Bob (what a joke) Klutz and Whitacre, before he takes them
to the very bottom as he did ATT.

Old February 23rd 10, 01:55 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan[_2_]

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .

> "CardsFan" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dad" > wrote in message
>> .. .

> Snip
>>> GM will continue as they have in the past by doing as little as possible
>>> to get as many sales dollars as possible out of minimal expenditure. All
>>> the while sticking it to the dealers and the dealers will continue to
>>> pass it on to the customers.
>>>
>>> In today's government environment the Corvette may have numbered
>>> days/years left.

>> I don't think the Corvette will go away. Maybe we can get some Pentagon
>> General to claim there's a military need for such a car. As long as GM
>> can make it profitably, and the last comment I heard was, "It pulls it's
>> own weight," it will continue on.
>>
>> AJM
>> '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

> Interesting - http://www.freep.com/article/2010022...4/2210510/1331
> but nothing to advance a sound theory on GM's direction for Corvette.
>
> Production may make their decision for them....
>
> 1990 23,646
> 1991 20,639
> 1992 20,479
> 1993 21,590
> 1994 23,330
> 1995 20,742
> 1996 21,536
> 1997 9,752
> 1998 31,084
> 1999 33,270
> 2000 33,682
> 2001 35,627
> 2002 35,767
> 2003 35,469
> 2004 34,064
> 2005 37,372
> 2006 34,021
> 2007 40,561
> 2008 35,310
> 2009 16,956
> 2010 could be close to the 1997 production. When you're used to an income
> of $2 billion and it drops to $600 million with fixed/variable costs that
> don't go away you looks for some drastic moves to keep the bleeding in
> check. There is always a chance that they will pull up their knickers and
> run away from the dedicated Corvette following. Can you say Camaro, Fiero,
> Allante, Reatta, Firebird, Oldsmobile, Saturn, and Pontiac? Not to mention
> the throw away cars that they have dumped.
>
> They need to dump Bob (what a joke) Klutz and Whitacre, before he takes
> them to the very bottom as he did ATT.

If they do, I'll say a quick prayer that they don't hire Carly Fiorina.

The Corvette says something about GM, but you're right, it means more to the
Corvette community. One question is whether the 'Vette's cachet helps other
Chevy sales or not. Does anybody buy a Malibu instead of an Accord because
it's made by the same company that makes the 'Vette. Very likely not.
Another is, does the engineering in the Corvette make other GM cars better?
I don't know.

Old February 23rd 10, 04:23 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"CardsFan" > wrote in message

> Another is, does the engineering in the Corvette make other GM cars
> better? I don't know.

Yes.... there is some "trickle down engineering" from the Vette program to
the other GM products.

-W

Old February 23rd 10, 09:01 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Where is Roger Smith When you Need Him?

I don't really car what happens to them. As long as I own a 1970 or earlier
one since they are the only ones worth owning.