new Honda CR-V break in

Old January 12th 10, 03:13 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_4_]

Default new Honda CR-V break in

Dillon Pyron wrote:
> Thus spake "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > :
>
>> In article >,
>> "Guy" > wrote:
>>
>>> Personally I've read Hondas can be abused and
>>> still no problems.

>> hehehehe--reminds me of my 79 Civic. The oil system had a nifty
>> self-changing feature. When the oil light flickered during hard right
>> turns, it was time to add more oil.

> Had friend with a 79 CRX (same as mine except for color) that didn't
> self change, but it was capable of at least removing the oil very
> quickly. I was amazed that Honda built the car with a 5 or so inch
> drain plug right under the #3 piston. Oh, and that was also the
> reminder that he needed to replace the rod and all the bearings.

'79 CRX???

JT

Old January 12th 10, 11:39 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
ACAR[_2_]

On Dec 31 2009, 8:41*pm, "Guy" > wrote:
> I got a new 2010 CR-V and wife asked me how to break it in properly.
> What is the proper way? *
>
> I don't care what the manual says. *What do you guys feel is the best
> mileage to do the first oil change? * I normally change my oil and
> filter around 3500 miles on my other cars with no synthetic.

I'll bet when you wrote this you had no idea you were lighting a
fuse.
Once you get by the pedantic nonsense you'll find that Honda engines
are well made and pretty much whatever oil change interval you choose
will be fine so long as it does not exceed the built-in maintenance
minder (which is the same as any other idiot light on the dash). If
you do your own oil changes and plan to keep the car a long while, you
may was well use synthetic, which can be had pretty cheaply from
WalMart.

You can use those tea-cup-sized Honda oil filters but if you find
another brand of oil filters as small as Honda's that would be news to
me. This will also set off the fuse but since I don't routiney check
this newsgroup I will remain blissfully unaware. I will probably rue
the day I did not follow my owner's manual to the letter and only got
250,000 miles out of my last car before I gave it to friends who are
still driving it around.

However, I did marvel at the treatise on "kill file," which I did not
read as it immediately invoked a "get a life" response.

YMMV
Old January 13th 10, 11:53 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Guy[_2_]

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 15:39:33 -0800 (PST), ACAR >
wrote:

>On Dec 31 2009, 8:41*pm, "Guy" > wrote:
>> I got a new 2010 CR-V and wife asked me how to break it in properly.
>> What is the proper way? *
>>
>> I don't care what the manual says. *What do you guys feel is the best
>> mileage to do the first oil change? * I normally change my oil and
>> filter around 3500 miles on my other cars with no synthetic.

>I'll bet when you wrote this you had no idea you were lighting a
>fuse.

Boy, you are NOT kidding. I had no idea.

>Once you get by the pedantic nonsense you'll find that Honda engines
>are well made and pretty much whatever oil change interval you choose
>will be fine so long as it does not exceed the built-in maintenance
>minder (which is the same as any other idiot light on the dash). If
>you do your own oil changes and plan to keep the car a long while, you
>may was well use synthetic, which can be had pretty cheaply from
>WalMart.
>
>You can use those tea-cup-sized Honda oil filters but if you find
>another brand of oil filters as small as Honda's that would be news to
>me. This will also set off the fuse but since I don't routiney check
>this newsgroup I will remain blissfully unaware. I will probably rue
>the day I did not follow my owner's manual to the letter and only got
>250,000 miles out of my last car before I gave it to friends who are
>still driving it around.
>
>However, I did marvel at the treatise on "kill file," which I did not
>read as it immediately invoked a "get a life" response.
>
>YMMV

Thank you ACAR for the tips.
Old January 14th 10, 02:02 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding[_5_]

On 01/10/10 19:48, Brian Smith wrote:
> On 1/10/2010 8:43 PM, Dillon Pyron wrote:
>>
>> Errh, you're suggesting doing your oil at 3500 miles and the manual
>> says to do it when the MM says so, which for most folks is around
>> 5-7K. So, who's being overly conservative and who's tossing away
>> money?
>>
>> Let's see: "I don't care what the manual says." So, as the others
>> have said, you are doing research to support an already developed
>> solution.

> There is nothing wrong with frequent oil changes and grease (for those
> vehicles that have grease fittings). It is the cheapest form of
> maintenance available.

Really? What about the wasted oil which is still perfectly usable as an
engine lubricant? Time? Money?

So if I were really conservative regarding oil changes, I'd do it weekly
or even daily. Anything wrong with that?

You're either not keeping posted on modern engine lubrication or you
reject info newer than "every 3,000 miles".

<not a flame, BTW>

Old January 14th 10, 04:39 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 01/13/2010 06:02 PM, Tony Harding wrote:
> On 01/10/10 19:48, Brian Smith wrote:
>> On 1/10/2010 8:43 PM, Dillon Pyron wrote:
>>>
>>> Errh, you're suggesting doing your oil at 3500 miles and the manual
>>> says to do it when the MM says so, which for most folks is around
>>> 5-7K. So, who's being overly conservative and who's tossing away
>>> money?
>>>
>>> Let's see: "I don't care what the manual says." So, as the others
>>> have said, you are doing research to support an already developed
>>> solution.

>> There is nothing wrong with frequent oil changes and grease (for those
>> vehicles that have grease fittings). It is the cheapest form of
>> maintenance available.

> Really? What about the wasted oil which is still perfectly usable as an
> engine lubricant? Time? Money?
>
> So if I were really conservative regarding oil changes, I'd do it weekly
> or even daily. Anything wrong with that?
>
> You're either not keeping posted on modern engine lubrication or you
> reject info newer than "every 3,000 miles".
>
> <not a flame, BTW>

you know, with the current rash of "contributors" that like to talk, but
who don't actually /say/ anything, an argument of logic like that
utterly fails - multiple retards agreeing with each other seems to be
much more in vogue than bothering with facts or relevance.
Old January 14th 10, 10:22 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Brian Smith

On 1/13/2010 10:02 PM, Tony Harding wrote:

> Really? What about the wasted oil which is still perfectly usable as an
> engine lubricant? Time? Money?

It's not wasted oil, nor money, nor time.

> So if I were really conservative regarding oil changes, I'd do it weekly
> or even daily. Anything wrong with that?

You may choose to do your vehicle's oil changes as frequently as you
see fit to do so, after all it is your vehicle and your money. There is
nothing wrong with you using your money in any way you wish.

> You're either not keeping posted on modern engine lubrication or you
> reject info newer than "every 3,000 miles".

I am well aware of "modern engine lubrication", but I choose to take
care of the vehicles under my care using a method that has been proven
to work well for decades. It is after all my money and my choice.

> <not a flame, BTW>

Not taken as one. :^)

Old January 14th 10, 12:02 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave Kelsen

On 1/14/2010 4:22 AM Brian Smith spake these words of knowledge:

> On 1/13/2010 10:02 PM, Tony Harding wrote:
>>
>> Really? What about the wasted oil which is still perfectly usable as an
>> engine lubricant? Time? Money?

> It's not wasted oil, nor money, nor time.

How is it not wasted? Without getting in to any particular numbers with
respect to miles driven or time elapsed, the fact is that if you change
the oil more frequently than is necessary, or even helpful, it certainly
is wasted.

>> So if I were really conservative regarding oil changes, I'd do it weekly
>> or even daily. Anything wrong with that?

> You may choose to do your vehicle's oil changes as frequently as you
> see fit to do so, after all it is your vehicle and your money. There is
> nothing wrong with you using your money in any way you wish.

This is also wrong. You may choose to do so, and you have the right to
use your money any way you wish. But there is something wrong. You are
wasting oil. I'm not saying you should change. I agree with you in
that respect - do as you wish. But a person changing their oil weekly,
or even daily, is certainly wasting oil and money. They have a right to
do so, but don't kid yourself that there is nothing wrong.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"There are only two types of people I hate; Those that are intolerant of
other people's cultures, and the Dutch."
Old January 14th 10, 12:56 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Brian Smith

On 1/14/2010 8:02 AM, Dave Kelsen wrote:

> How is it not wasted? Without getting in to any particular numbers with
> respect to miles driven or time elapsed, the fact is that if you change
> the oil more frequently than is necessary, or even helpful, it certainly
> is wasted.

How is it not wasted? Simply the regular changing of the engine's
lubrication is a good thing. I don't consider it wasted, nor does my
employer when we look at the bottom line on the fleet's maintenance
costs and vastly improved level of breakdowns and subsequent downtime,
as compared to the previous manager's numbers. IN regard to my own
personal vehicles, I have no qualms about changing the fluids based on
the mileage and time frame that I have decided gives the best return on
my investment.

> This is also wrong.

This is your opinion and as such has no basis on how or why I choose to
take care of the regular maintenance of any vehicles in my charge.

> You may choose to do so, and you have the right to
> use your money any way you wish. But there is something wrong. You are
> wasting oil. I'm not saying you should change. I agree with you in that
> respect - do as you wish. But a person changing their oil weekly, or
> even daily, is certainly wasting oil and money. They have a right to do
> so, but don't kid yourself that there is nothing wrong.

I'm not kidding myself in any way. How I manage my fleet and personal
vehicles has proven to be cost effective over the last four decades and
(no offence intended Dave), your opinion does not matter in this regard.

Brian

Old January 14th 10, 02:25 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 01/14/2010 04:56 AM, Brian Smith wrote:
> On 1/14/2010 8:02 AM, Dave Kelsen wrote:
>>
>> How is it not wasted? Without getting in to any particular numbers with
>> respect to miles driven or time elapsed, the fact is that if you change
>> the oil more frequently than is necessary, or even helpful, it certainly
>> is wasted.

> How is it not wasted? Simply the regular changing of the engine's
> lubrication is a good thing.

no. read this:
http://www.swri.org/3pubs/IRD1999/03912699.htm

> I don't consider it wasted, nor does my
> employer when we look at the bottom line on the fleet's maintenance
> costs and vastly improved level of breakdowns and subsequent downtime,
> as compared to the previous manager's numbers.

you do oil analysis? doesn't sound like it. and when was the last time
anyone here saw a breakdown due to lubrication failure? you may be more
diligent about other aspects of maintenance, but too-frequent oil
changes are wasting money and time.

> IN regard to my own
> personal vehicles, I have no qualms about changing the fluids based on
> the mileage and time frame that I have decided gives the best return on
> my investment.

based on what analysis? unless you have numbers, you're no better than
a witch doctor.

>> This is also wrong.

> This is your opinion and as such has no basis on how or why I choose to
> take care of the regular maintenance of any vehicles in my charge.

where are your numbers?

>> You may choose to do so, and you have the right to
>> use your money any way you wish. But there is something wrong. You are
>> wasting oil. I'm not saying you should change. I agree with you in that
>> respect - do as you wish. But a person changing their oil weekly, or
>> even daily, is certainly wasting oil and money. They have a right to do
>> so, but don't kid yourself that there is nothing wrong.

> I'm not kidding myself in any way.

absent facts, you absolutely are.

> How I manage my fleet and personal
> vehicles has proven to be cost effective over the last four decades and
> (no offence intended Dave), your opinion does not matter in this regard.

a witch doctor can "heal" a broken leg by tying a sacrificed chicken to
it and immobilizing the patient. but it's the immobilization that heals
the break, not the chicken. absent facts and/or numbers, you're simply
living in a cave with a load of dead chicken carcasses.
Old January 14th 10, 02:58 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding[_5_]

On 01/14/10 07:02, Dave Kelsen wrote:
> On 1/14/2010 4:22 AM Brian Smith spake these words of knowledge:
>
>> On 1/13/2010 10:02 PM, Tony Harding wrote:
>>>
>>> Really? What about the wasted oil which is still perfectly usable as an
>>> engine lubricant? Time? Money?

>> It's not wasted oil, nor money, nor time.

> How is it not wasted? Without getting in to any particular numbers with
> respect to miles driven or time elapsed, the fact is that if you change
> the oil more frequently than is necessary, or even helpful, it certainly
> is wasted.
>

>>> So if I were really conservative regarding oil changes, I'd do it weekly
>>> or even daily. Anything wrong with that?

>> You may choose to do your vehicle's oil changes as frequently as you
>> see fit to do so, after all it is your vehicle and your money. There
>> is nothing wrong with you using your money in any way you wish.

> This is also wrong. You may choose to do so, and you have the right to
> use your money any way you wish. But there is something wrong. You are
> wasting oil. I'm not saying you should change. I agree with you in that
> respect - do as you wish. But a person changing their oil weekly, or
> even daily, is certainly wasting oil and money. They have a right to do
> so, but don't kid yourself that there is nothing wrong.

Well put, Dave, thanks.

Honda Civic to easy to break into? john_c Honda 11 April 22nd 07 04:25 AM
2003 Honda Accord Break Rotors hokie_dawg Honda 9 January 24th 07 05:20 PM
Honda Accord Break Problem Jai Honda 10 January 24th 06 01:26 AM
low break pedal, non-working parking break - self-adjusters not working? [email protected] Technology 13 December 24th 05 12:32 PM
166 Break down. Brian Alfa Romeo 1 May 22nd 05 11:58 AM