Honda key fobs and how to replace when lost

Old January 13th 10, 08:03 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Erik[_7_]

Default Honda key fobs and how to replace when lost

> Right--the new key has to have the transponder information copied over
> from a functioning key.

Hmmm.. I was reading a Odyssey factory shop manual a while back... and
as I recall, the key heads all have unique random RFID tags (really a
little transponder)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFID

....and it's the car computer thats actually gets programed to recognize
a new keys RFID tag.

In order to do so, the car, at least one of the regular keys, the valet
key and the dealers key programing computer all must be present and used.

I think I also remember that if all the keys are lost, you have to buy a
new computer, which comes with a set of keys. Guess you'd also have to
deal with changing all the locks too...

Here's some more... for what it's worth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immobiliser

Erik
Old January 13th 10, 08:52 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Joe[_126_]

On 2010-01-13, Brian Smith > wrote:
> On 1/13/2010 2:09 PM, DDDudley wrote:
>>
>> Jeez, speaking of grip, how about getting one. No matter what YOU want
>> to call it, and I agree that it is a remote or... whatever
>>
>> When in Rome, do as the...
>>
>> Honda called it FOB in their service literature.
>>
>> Are you so anal that you get so bogged down in nomenclature that YOU
>> like, that you ignore the OP's original question?

> The point that is being made is that it never was a FOB. Honda labelled
> it incorrectly. Their confusion of the English language has caused this
> uproar.

No, the point being made is that it doesn't matter, even a little bit,
what the thing is called. It has NOTHING to do with his question. At
this point, everyone understands what he was asking, and are just
being pedantic.

--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
Old January 13th 10, 08:58 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Brian Smith

On 1/13/2010 4:52 PM, Joe wrote:

> No, the point being made is that it doesn't matter, even a little bit,
> what the thing is called. It has NOTHING to do with his question. At
> this point, everyone understands what he was asking, and are just
> being pedantic.

You call it what you wish to, I prefer to look at the issue as being
accurate rather than incorrect.

Old January 13th 10, 11:46 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

Brian Smith > wrote in
:

> On 1/13/2010 4:52 PM, Joe wrote:
>>
>> No, the point being made is that it doesn't matter, even a little
>> bit, what the thing is called. It has NOTHING to do with his
>> question. At this point, everyone understands what he was asking,
>> and are just being pedantic.

> You call it what you wish to, I prefer to look at the issue as
> being
> accurate rather than incorrect.

And you bizarrely insist on indenting your lead sentence with lots of space
characters, which seriously screws up quoting for even well-programmed news
clients, as you can see above.

And you're Canadian, too. But hey, nobody's perfect.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old January 14th 10, 12:09 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Brian Smith

On 1/13/2010 7:46 PM, Tegger wrote:

> And you bizarrely insist on indenting your lead sentence with lots of space
> characters, which seriously screws up quoting for even well-programmed news
> clients, as you can see above.

It's hardly bizarre, using Tab to start paragraphs. Weren't you taught
how to properly indent paragraphs in school?

> And you're Canadian, too. But hey, nobody's perfect.

Tegger, I'm surprised where you make sense with your information I
didn't believe for a minute that you could be American. YOu only wish
you were Canadian.

Old January 14th 10, 12:39 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

Brian Smith > wrote in
:

> On 1/13/2010 7:46 PM, Tegger wrote:
>>
>> And you bizarrely insist on indenting your lead sentence with lots of
>> space characters, which seriously screws up quoting for even
>> well-programmed news clients, as you can see above.

> It's hardly bizarre, using Tab to start paragraphs. Weren't you
> taught
> how to properly indent paragraphs in school?

Of course, but Usenet converts the Tab to spaces. Space characters are the
bane of computerdom, since they are rendered differently by every program
and platform you can imagine.

Usenet is not a document produced on a typewriter or a Word document that
will be run off a printer.

You can see how my text is quoted properly, whereas yours is not. Try
replying to one of your own messages and see what happens.

And one must change with times and circumstances. Did you attempt to write
your reply on the screen using a fountain pen? Of course not.

>> And you're Canadian, too. But hey, nobody's perfect.

> Tegger, I'm surprised where you make sense with your information
> didn't believe for a minute that you could be American. YOu only wish
> you were Canadian.

Guess again!

Old January 14th 10, 01:21 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Brian Smith

On 1/13/2010 8:39 PM, Tegger wrote:

> Of course, but Usenet converts the Tab to spaces. Space characters are the
> bane of computerdom, since they are rendered differently by every program
> and platform you can imagine.
>
> Usenet is not a document produced on a typewriter or a Word document that
> will be run off a printer.
>
> You can see how my text is quoted properly, whereas yours is not. Try
> replying to one of your own messages and see what happens.

My posts appear alright in this newsgroup as well as others I
participate in, nothing is out of place.

> And one must change with times and circumstances. Did you attempt to write
> your reply on the screen using a fountain pen? Of course not.

I use a ball point pen, I haven't used a fountain pen since grade
school. :^)

Old January 14th 10, 02:08 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding[_5_]

On 01/13/10 19:39, Tegger wrote:
> Brian > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 1/13/2010 7:46 PM, Tegger wrote:
>>>
>>> And you bizarrely insist on indenting your lead sentence with lots of
>>> space characters, which seriously screws up quoting for even
>>> well-programmed news clients, as you can see above.

>> It's hardly bizarre, using Tab to start paragraphs. Weren't you
>> taught
>> how to properly indent paragraphs in school?

> Of course, but Usenet converts the Tab to spaces. Space characters are the
> bane of computerdom, since they are rendered differently by every program
> and platform you can imagine.
>
> Usenet is not a document produced on a typewriter or a Word document that
> will be run off a printer.
>
> You can see how my text is quoted properly, whereas yours is not. Try
> replying to one of your own messages and see what happens.
>
> And one must change with times and circumstances. Did you attempt to write
> your reply on the screen using a fountain pen? Of course not.

Is that why my replies never showed up? Holy poop on a stick!