new Honda CR-V break in

Old January 6th 10, 02:56 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

Default new Honda CR-V break in

On 01/05/2010 04:05 PM, JRStern wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 17:30:57 -0800, jim > wrote:
>
>> i wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't honda bowing to dealer
>> pressure/bleating to get people back in the shop more often. dealers
>> /want/ you in more often so they can make more money. contrast that
>> with bmw who offer free maintenance for the first few years - they want
>> to see you as little as possible, and their oil changes go 10-15k.

> Did not know that.
>
> BMW goes that long, with conventional oil?

apparently. i don't know what their oil is - but i know that when it's
time to change, that stuff is pretty sour. and there's a strong buildup
of resin under the rocker cover. i do occasional work on a friend's
330i and my 189k 20yr old civic is cleaner under the rocker after nearly
20k on a single change of mobil 1 than the 330i after a total lifetime
30k miles and bmw oil changes. whatever they use, it's either massively
over-stressed or it's not as good as what i use.

> And even the first?
>
> Well, maybe they want you to wear things out!
>

>> [interestingly, if you look up oil analysis examples online, mile for
>> mile honda steel count - which correlates to wear rate and materials
>> quality - is of the order of ten times /less/ than that of bmw. oil
>> breakdown stability aside, that would imply honda being able to have a
>> longer service interval than bmw, not shorter.]

> Reminds me of an air pollution check on one of my old Hondas, required
> here in California every two years. Actual pollution line was barely
> off the zero, way way better than required. I guess that's why they
> started the "ULEV" labels and such, but I still felt like I deserved a
> medal, or a discount, or something, for driving such a clean car.
>
> Honda good.
>
> (of course, that doesn't really count towards the modern trendy
> "carbon footprint" issue, but that's another story)
>
> J.

carbon footprint is pretty much just how much gas you burn. smaller,
more efficient clean burning engines in smaller more aero cars means
lower gas consumption. the average honda may not be as good as a prius,
but it's a whole lot better than the average frod, chevy, chrysler, etc.
Old January 6th 10, 11:30 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
JRE[_2_]

jim beam wrote:
> On 01/05/2010 04:05 PM, JRStern wrote:
>> On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 17:30:57 -0800, jim > wrote:
>>
>>> i wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't honda bowing to dealer
>>> pressure/bleating to get people back in the shop more often. dealers
>>> /want/ you in more often so they can make more money. contrast that
>>> with bmw who offer free maintenance for the first few years - they want
>>> to see you as little as possible, and their oil changes go 10-15k.

Like any other dealer, BMW dealers like to see you as often as possible
consistent with good customer satisfaction. The car business is what it
is no matter which manufacturer we're talking about. Every contact they
have with you gives them another opportunity to impress you with their
professionalism and good will, and possibly make a sale or a future
sale. The local BMW dealer has free car washes every Saturday, for
example, no matter how long you've owned the car you bought from them.

(My family owned a car dealership when I was growing up.)

>> Did not know that.
>>
>> BMW goes that long, with conventional oil?

No. It's a Castrol synthetic in anything recent.

> apparently. i don't know what their oil is - but i know that when it's
> time to change, that stuff is pretty sour. and there's a strong buildup
> of resin under the rocker cover. i do occasional work on a friend's
> 330i and my 189k 20yr old civic is cleaner under the rocker after nearly
> 20k on a single change of mobil 1 than the 330i after a total lifetime
> 30k miles and bmw oil changes. whatever they use, it's either massively
> over-stressed or it's not as good as what i use.

The oil looks different both new and old than conventional oil.
However, at 30K miles, a 330i should have had 1-2 oil changes depending
on the service it's seen, and it should not have significant buildup
under the valve cover. Mine has no significant buildup at 88K, nor does
my wife's 323i at 107K.

>> And even the first?

<snip>

Yes. The first oil change on recent BMWs is likely to be at about 15K
miles. That's less than the interval you're using with Mobil 1 in your
Civic.

My Accord was my first "experiment" car, the one with which I started to
follow the manufacturer's service schedule rather than being more
aggressive and changing oil and filter every 3K. I did do the very
first oil change early just to get any crud left over from manufacturing
out, but since then I have changed it only when the service indicator
turns to red, which it does faithfully every 7,500 miles. Honda specs
regular 5W-30 oil, and that's what I use, along with the Honda filter.

Now, 19 years later at 218K, the car is falling (well, rusting) apart
around the drive train. The engine uses no noticeable oil between
changes, gas mileage remains good, and the engine seems as peppy now as
it was when new. Had I changed oil every 3K I'd have done 72 oil
changes by now rather than the 29 or so I've actually done, so at $25 or
so per change for oil and filter, I'm $1,075 to the good--in fact, the
money I have saved on unnecessary oil changes now exceeds the residual
value of the car (according to Kelly Blue Book's website)! And that's
changing the oil myself. Had I paid to have it done I'd have saved more
than double the car's current value.

In reasonably average service I see no concrete reason to be more
agressive than the manufacturer's recommendations with our Honda, BMWs,
garden tractor, etc.

--
JRE
Old January 6th 10, 02:46 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 01/06/2010 03:30 AM, JRE wrote:
> jim beam wrote:

> Like any other dealer, BMW dealers like to see you as often as possible
> consistent with good customer satisfaction. The car business is what it
> is no matter which manufacturer we're talking about. Every contact they
> have with you gives them another opportunity to impress you with their
> professionalism and good will, and possibly make a sale or a future
> sale. The local BMW dealer has free car washes every Saturday, for
> example, no matter how long you've owned the car you bought from them.
>
> (My family owned a car dealership when I was growing up.)

you're right, repeat business comes from the ability to cultivate and
maintain a professional relationship. however, when service costs are
borne by the dealer, not the client, they my be happy to bring you in
for coffee and donuts, but they are /not/ going to bring you in for oil
changes every 3k miles because it's losing them money.

>>> Did not know that.
>>>
>>> BMW goes that long, with conventional oil?

> No. It's a Castrol synthetic in anything recent.

i've read that is specified, but i have a hard time believing the
dealer's actually using it in my friend's car - evidence to the contrary
in fact.

>> apparently. i don't know what their oil is - but i know that when it's
>> time to change, that stuff is pretty sour. and there's a strong
>> buildup of resin under the rocker cover. i do occasional work on a
>> friend's 330i and my 189k 20yr old civic is cleaner under the rocker
>> after nearly 20k on a single change of mobil 1 than the 330i after a
>> total lifetime 30k miles and bmw oil changes. whatever they use, it's
>> either massively over-stressed or it's not as good as what i use.

> The oil looks different both new and old than conventional oil. However,
> at 30K miles, a 330i should have had 1-2 oil changes depending on the
> service it's seen, and it should not have significant buildup under the
> valve cover. Mine has no significant buildup at 88K, nor does my wife's
> 323i at 107K.

frankly, because of what i'd read, i was surprised.

>>> And even the first?

> <snip>
>
> Yes. The first oil change on recent BMWs is likely to be at about 15K
> miles. That's less than the interval you're using with Mobil 1 in your
> Civic.

yes, but analysis shows the bmw to be wearing faster.

Old January 7th 10, 05:56 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
zzznot

"JRE" > wrote in message
> jim beam wrote:
> Like any other dealer, BMW dealers like to see you as often as possible
> consistent with good customer satisfaction.

Yes, but they weren't generating any customer
satisfaction due to astronomical service costs,
they were losing sales to everything else on the market
based on bad service experiences based on cost,
that's why they went to service-included pricing.

J.

Old January 8th 10, 03:29 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 01/07/2010 09:56 AM, zzznot wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> jim beam wrote:
>> Like any other dealer, BMW dealers like to see you as often as possible
>> consistent with good customer satisfaction.

> Yes, but they weren't generating any customer
> satisfaction due to astronomical service costs,
> they were losing sales to everything else on the market
> based on bad service experiences based on cost,
> that's why they went to service-included pricing.
>
> J.

"service-included pricing" which costs them hardly anything because at
15k per service, they hardly ever touch the car! 4 years or 50k miles -
that's three [max $50] oil changes.

and once your "included" service period is up, brakes suddenly are
kaput, and cost a freakin' fortune. they need new $200+ disks each time
you change the pads - if you use bmw pads anyway. [use akebono ceramics
and magically, disk wear goes away. strange that.]

Old January 10th 10, 11:38 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Thus spake "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > :

>In article >,
> "Guy" > wrote:
>
>> >in that case, you should get rid of this vehicle and go buy a buick.
>> >buh-bye!
>> >

>> I didn't mean the manual was wrong but wanted to know what
>> experience(s) work well with a new Honda. Maybe most don't follow the
>> manual???

>Or maybe most do.
>
>Your owner's manual says...what? about oil changes?
>
>Does it have a maintenance minder system?

When it says a maint is due, then it gets done. That means that at
least three of us do the manual.

I guess he doesn't thing the manuals are written for a reason. Perhaps
the part where it says "don't do this or you will be killed or
seriously injured" applies for him, either.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

I love my country, It's my government I fear.

Hey, turnabout's fair play.
Old January 10th 10, 11:42 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Thus spake "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > :

>In article > ,
> jim beam > wrote:
>
>> > Have fun with your shiny new $25,000 toy.

>> this is the piece of psychology that always completely blows my mind -
>> the bit where people can spend a bunch of dough, then completely
>> disregard what they put it into. if they had a suitcase with $25,000 in
>> hundreds, would they toss it out of a moving car with the lid open and
>> watch the notes get blown away in the wind? of course not.

>Some would, and then you'd see a blog entry on The Consumerist about how
>Samsonite bags suck and they wouldn't even take the owner's phone call
>about how Samsonite owes him $25,000 because his bag didn't prevent the
>bills from leaving the opened suitcase.

Off to alt.humor.best-of-usenet with you.

Old January 11th 10, 12:16 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Thus spake News > :

>jim beam wrote:
>> On 01/01/2010 08:32 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

>>> Some would, and then you'd see a blog entry on The Consumerist about how
>>> Samsonite bags suck and they wouldn't even take the owner's phone call
>>> about how Samsonite owes him $25,000 because his bag didn't prevent the
>>> bills from leaving the opened suitcase.

>> doubtless, others would respond agreeing. especially if someone had the
>> temerity to point out that our blogger was in fact at fault, because we
>> should all stand about and hug and endorse stupidity, not actually try
>> to learn something.
>>

>Try this on for size:
><http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=105876>

a) a bill of sale is practiclly worthless without some kind of
"authentication", ie the notary I used when I sold my Civic.

2) I think Apple would be covered by the same law as pawn shops and
auto dealers. If they accept something for which they have a
reasonable expectation that the presenter is the legal owner, they are
under no obligation to return it to the legitimate owner without
compensation. Bull**** law, yeah. In some states (such as Texas)
certain shops may be identified by police as "known" fences and this
doesn't apply. Trick is, you won't know unless you force the cops to
say so and the shop won't know unless you take them to court with the
above mentioned information. Which the cops don't want them to know
until the nail them big time, not for your iPhone 3G that only sold
for $99 back in July.

Old January 11th 10, 12:47 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Thus spake "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > :

>In article >,
> "Guy" > wrote:
>
>> Personally I've read Hondas can be abused and
>> still no problems.

>hehehehe--reminds me of my 79 Civic. The oil system had a nifty
>self-changing feature. When the oil light flickered during hard right
>turns, it was time to add more oil.

Had friend with a 79 CRX (same as mine except for color) that didn't
self change, but it was capable of at least removing the oil very
quickly. I was amazed that Honda built the car with a 5 or so inch
drain plug right under the #3 piston. Oh, and that was also the
reminder that he needed to replace the rod and all the bearings.

Old January 11th 10, 12:48 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Brian Smith

On 1/10/2010 8:43 PM, Dillon Pyron wrote:

> Errh, you're suggesting doing your oil at 3500 miles and the manual
> says to do it when the MM says so, which for most folks is around
> 5-7K. So, who's being overly conservative and who's tossing away
> money?
>
> Let's see: "I don't care what the manual says." So, as the others
> have said, you are doing research to support an already developed
> solution.

There is nothing wrong with frequent oil changes and grease (for those
vehicles that have grease fittings). It is the cheapest form of
maintenance available.

Honda Civic to easy to break into? john_c Honda 11 April 22nd 07 04:25 AM
2003 Honda Accord Break Rotors hokie_dawg Honda 9 January 24th 07 05:20 PM
Honda Accord Break Problem Jai Honda 10 January 24th 06 01:26 AM
low break pedal, non-working parking break - self-adjusters not working? [email protected] Technology 13 December 24th 05 12:32 PM
166 Break down. Brian Alfa Romeo 1 May 22nd 05 11:58 AM