my cold van

Old January 28th 08, 09:45 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
fbksdodge

Default my cold van

i have a 88dodge grand caravan that isn't putting out any heat!! there is
snow and ice INSIDE my van it's that cold. I'm thinking it's my thermostat
what do you say??

Old January 28th 08, 10:39 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"fbksdodge" <u41008@uwe> wrote in message news:7ee68ec45ffef@uwe...
> i have a 88dodge grand caravan that isn't putting out any heat!! there is
> snow and ice INSIDE my van it's that cold. I'm thinking it's my thermostat
> what do you say??

I say you could be right!!! Assuming the vehicle has plenty of coolant and
the heater core is stopped up, You could do a key cycle test to see if there
are any fault codes stored in the computer system. (google how to do this)
And you don't state what engine this vehicle has. If it is the Mitsubishi
2.6 disregard the fault code test

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old January 28th 08, 11:21 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Dan C

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 20:45:28 +0000, fbksdodge wrote:

> i have a 88dodge grand caravan that isn't putting out any heat!! there is
> snow and ice INSIDE my van it's that cold. I'm thinking it's my thermostat
> what do you say??

I say: The ****ing thing is 20 years old, get rid of that POS, and get
something with a working goddam heater.

Old January 29th 08, 12:13 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Jerry[_10_]

"Dan C" the jurk wrote

> I say: The ****ing thing is 20 years old, get rid of that POS, and get
> something with a working goddam heater.

He has a problem with his car. What is your problem?

Old January 29th 08, 12:19 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Dan C

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:13:27 -0600, Jerry the Moron wrote:

>> I say: The ****ing thing is 20 years old, get rid of that POS, and get
>> something with a working goddam heater.

> He has a problem with his car. What is your problem?

I don't have a problem. I told him how to solve the problem with his car.
What's your problem?

Old January 29th 08, 01:47 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
aarcuda69062

In article <7ee68ec45ffef@uwe>, "fbksdodge" <u41008@uwe> wrote:

> i have a 88dodge grand caravan that isn't putting out any heat!! there is
> snow and ice INSIDE my van it's that cold. I'm thinking it's my thermostat
> what do you say??

I say the Grand Caravan didn't come out until 1990.

Could be the thermostat
Could be a plugged heater core
Could be a seized blend door in the heater case
Could be low on coolant
Could be a plugged heater bypass valve
Could be all of the above
Old January 29th 08, 03:29 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Don[_11_]

On Jan 28, 6:47 pm, aarcuda69062 > wrote:
> In article <7ee68ec45ffef@uwe>, "fbksdodge" <u41008@uwe> wrote:
> > i have a 88dodge grand caravan that isn't putting out any heat!! there is
> > snow and ice INSIDE my van it's that cold. I'm thinking it's my thermostat
> > what do you say??

> I say the Grand Caravan didn't come out until 1990.
>
> Could be the thermostat
> Could be a plugged heater core
> Could be a seized blend door in the heater case
> Could be low on coolant
> Could be a plugged heater bypass valve
> Could be all of the above

It could also be a leaking head gasket. This was the problem with our
1994 Grand Caravan "no heat" symptom prior to replacing the head
gaskets.
Old January 29th 08, 04:39 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Ron Seiden

"fbksdodge" <u41008@uwe> wrote in message news:7ee68ec45ffef@uwe...
>i have a 88dodge grand caravan that isn't putting out any heat!! there is
> snow and ice INSIDE my van it's that cold. I'm thinking it's my thermostat
> what do you say??

If there's a problem with the thermostat, either the engine would overheat
or would take an awfully long time to warm up. (Do you know the history of
the vehicle? It's possible that it might not have any thermostat at all, if
a previous owner went cheap -- and stupid -- on fixing an overheating
problem...)
With an old vehicle, look under the hood to see if it's got a valve
controlling coolant flow to the heater. (Some vehicles have the heater on a
"full flow" system with no valve in the line and water constantly flowing
through the heater core, and some have a valve that opens the flow to the
heater core only when you select "heat" from the dash controls.) If it's got
that valve in (or at one end) of one of the heater hoses, it very well could
be rusted shut. Simplest solution is to remove the valve and re-connect the
heater hoses as a "full flow" system. (I've done it -- it works.) If you
remove the valve, just remember to block off the vacuum line that activated
it...
If it's a "full flow" system, you could have accumulated corrosion blocking
flow to or through the heater core. Since a corroded cooling system could
very well screw up the thermostat as well, you could try a cooling system
flush (a good one, with the nasty corrosive chemicals & neutralizer, not the
cheap stuff you find in Wal-Mart) along with a new thermostat... (If the
system is that far gone, you might want to install new heater hoses as well.
It's possible for them to start disintegrating internally, tossing off bits
& pieces that block flow, even if they aren't leaking internally yet.)

Old January 29th 08, 04:58 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
aarcuda69062

In article

Don > wrote:

> On Jan 28, 6:47 pm, aarcuda69062 > wrote:
> > In article <7ee68ec45ffef@uwe>, "fbksdodge" <u41008@uwe> wrote:
> > > i have a 88dodge grand caravan that isn't putting out any heat!! there is
> > > snow and ice INSIDE my van it's that cold. I'm thinking it's my thermostat
> > > what do you say??

> > I say the Grand Caravan didn't come out until 1990.
> >
> > Could be the thermostat
> > Could be a plugged heater core
> > Could be a seized blend door in the heater case
> > Could be low on coolant
> > Could be a plugged heater bypass valve
> > Could be all of the above

> It could also be a leaking head gasket. This was the problem with our
> 1994 Grand Caravan "no heat" symptom prior to replacing the head
> gaskets.

Good call!
Old January 30th 08, 01:38 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
John Grossbohlin

"Ron Seiden" > wrote in message
| "fbksdodge" <u41008@uwe> wrote in message news:7ee68ec45ffef@uwe...
| >i have a 88dodge grand caravan that isn't putting out any heat!! there is
| > snow and ice INSIDE my van it's that cold. I'm thinking it's my
thermostat
| > what do you say??
| >
| If there's a problem with the thermostat, either the engine would overheat
| or would take an awfully long time to warm up. (Do you know the history of
| the vehicle? It's possible that it might not have any thermostat at all,
if
| a previous owner went cheap -- and stupid -- on fixing an overheating
| problem...)

It might be worth looking to see if the heater core is even hooked up... it
might be bypassed... As an associate found back in the 70s it solves the
leaking heater core problem cheaply. ;~)

John

cold air dts1 Jeep 7 November 19th 07 03:18 AM
'78 bus 2.0L cold oil leak? matthew j henschel VW air cooled 7 August 26th 07 08:32 PM
VERY Cold Weather [email protected] Technology 11 July 4th 06 12:52 AM
91 5.0 running cold and hot Evan Ford Mustang 10 February 10th 05 03:39 PM
IS '73 Mustang A/C cold? Ford Mustang 2 January 27th 05 02:14 PM