Options You Soon Won't Be Able To Do Without?

Old April 22nd 12, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

Default Options You Soon Won't Be Able To Do Without?

An interesting article.

Are there any you eagerly await?

----
When was the last time you bought a new car or truck? If shoulder pads
were fashionable, you're in for a surprise when you walk into a new
car showroom. Even if it's been only five years since your new set of
wheels, you'd be amazed at the technology missing in your car.

Today's cars can tell you the exact tire pressure on each wheel or
report your average fuel economy. But that's small potatoes given that
on average, new cars and trucks have 23 CPUs on board. Knowing that,
you may not be surprised that your next car will be able to read your
text messages, adjust the suspension on a windy day, or recharge
itself wirelessly.

And if you're looking for a button on the center console to control
the climate you might not find any; some vehicles have touch-sensitive
panels like an Apple iPhone.

These are some of the options you'll find on new cars and trucks:

Hands-free text messaging: Nissan introduced Nissan Connect, which
uses the driver's Bluetooth phone to provide connectivity to streaming
audio and the Web. Nissan Connect will include a hands-free Text
Messaging Assistant, which can read incoming texts out loud. The
driver can respond via voice recognition, or through the steering
wheel switches that have pre-set answers such as "driving, can't text"
and "on my way." Other automakers, such as General Motors, BMW and
Ford, offer similar systems. Offered on 2013 Nissan Altima; Ford, GM
and BMW models.

Rear-seat iPad docking: This new option holds an Apple iPad in place
behind the front seat headrests. The iPad docking station tilts and
rotates up to 90 degrees, charged by the vehicle's electrical system.
It fits most Mercedes-Benz models, including the redesigned 2013 GLK
SUV.

Wireless induction charger: While drivers are only now wrapping their
heads around refueling a car by plugging it in, Infiniti's 2014 LE
electric concept car can be recharged using a built-in wireless
charging system. Simply park the LE over a charging pad, which is
connected to a power source. A coil encased in the pad creates a
magnetic field that excites electric current in a second coil in the
car, recharging the battery pack.

Ambient night lighting: Low-level LED lighting illuminates at night,
bathing the car's cabin in a soothing glow, not unlike a fashionable
nightclub. More a function of fashion than safety, it's now common on
many luxury cars and is trickling down as an option on less-expensive
vehicles.

Automatic start-stop: First seen on gas-electric hybrid vehicles, this
fuel-economy feature is spreading to conventionally powered vehicles.
The system shuts off the car's engine when the vehicle comes to a
stop. Once the driver's foot lifts from the brake pedal, the car
restarts. While the engine does shut off during a stop, accessories
such as climate control and audio systems still function. Offered on
various GM, Porsche models among others.

Capacitive switching: If you've used an Apple iPhone, you've used a
capacitive switch; it's a type of touch screen that's replacing
conventional automobile switches. For instance, when you touch the
flat surface of the instrument panel with your finger on the air-
conditioning label, you're changing the charge of an electromagnetic
field, which instructs a processor in the car to make the air cooler.
Offered on 2013 Cadillac XTS and various Ford models.

Cross-traffic detection: Ever backed out of a parking spot only to
narrowly miss being hit by a car coming down the aisle? This feature,
first seen on Volvo and Ford vehicles, uses sensors arrayed around the
car's exterior to sense when a vehicle is approaching yours from the
left or right. The same sensors are also used for such options as
blind spot detection, to warn when a car is your blind spot; and
automatic cruise control, which slows down or speeds up automatically
to a preset speed and following distance. Offered on 2013 Toyota
Avalon and other new models.

Crosswind stabilization: This new feature adjusts the suspension to
stabilize the car when a crosswind is detected. The amount of damping
applied by the suspension varies depending on the force of the wind.
It's part of Mercedes-Benz's optional Active Body Control system,
which has been available on Mercedes-Benz S-Class and CL-Class models.
It's now offered on the 2013 GL-Class SUV.

Customized instrument cluster: First seen on the Ford Fusion and
Lincoln MKZ hybrids, an instrument cluster that can be customized will
be offered on the new Dodge Dart and Nissan Altima. Certain bits of
information, such as the speedometer, can't be changed. But other
items, such as fuel economy or tire pressure, can be customized to be
shown in the display.

Front center side airbags: The 2013 Chevrolet Traverse is fitted with
the auto industry's first front center air bag. Mounted on the inboard
side of the driver's seat, it inflates between front seat occupants to
provide additional protection in side-impact crashes by protecting the
person on the side of the vehicle from being struck by the side not
being hit.

Panoramic sunroofs: In 1954, the Ford Skyliner and Mercury Sun Valley
hardtops were equipped with large fixed Plexiglas sunroofs. Fifty-
eight years later, glass roofs are reappearing. While Mercedes-Benz
offers them on the SL and SLK hardtop convertibles, the 2013 Lincoln
MKZ glass roof is unique. The whole roof opens, sliding rearward over
the rear window.

Push-button transmission: This system differs from the system used by
Chrysler products from 1956 through 1964. Today's transmissions are
electronically controlled, so Lincoln uses buttons to engage park,
neutral, reverse, and two forward gears: drive and sport. The Dodge
Ram 1500 pickup truck sports a gear dial for 2013, rather than a shift
lever. Offered on 2013 Lincoln MKZ, 2013 Dodge Ram 1500.

-----

Patrick
Old April 23rd 12, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

The only one I see that's of much significance is the push-button
transmission selector so they get rid of the space consuming
mechanical levers that do little more than move a switch anyway.

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 11:58:56 -0700 (PDT), "

Old April 23rd 12, 06:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 4/22/2012 19:06, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> The only one I see that's of much significance is the push-button
> transmission selector so they get rid of the space consuming
> mechanical levers that do little more than move a switch anyway.

After the "Edsel Incident" I can see how they'd be leery of buttons.
Old April 24th 12, 01:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Apr 22, 7:06*pm, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
> The only one I see that's of much significance is the push-button
> transmission selector so they get rid of the space consuming
> mechanical levers that do little more than move a switch anyway.

If the pushbutton(s) is/are mounted on the console so you didn't have
to reach [up] towards the dash when you want to shift your automatic
manually.

Patrick

Old April 30th 12, 08:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 12:32:06 -0500, "WindsorFox<SS>"
> wrote:

>On 4/22/2012 19:06, Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> The only one I see that's of much significance is the push-button
>> transmission selector so they get rid of the space consuming
>> mechanical levers that do little more than move a switch anyway.
>>

> After the "Edsel Incident" I can see how they'd be leery of buttons.

That was because they stuck them in the steering wheel. The Chryslers
used pushbuttons for years with no problems and GM has used small dash
levers for years, back in the 60's in the Corvairs and I've seen them
in commercial trucks much more recently then that. After driving my
60 corvair with the small lever in the dash the big mechanisms on the
steering wheels that mimic a three on the tree just made no sense to
me.