Jeep Grand Cherokee BIG Oil Plug Bolt Problem

Old November 2nd 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
chiroke

Default Jeep Grand Cherokee BIG Oil Plug Bolt Problem

I was changing oil on my Jeep Grand Cherokee 2000 @ around 5-6PM
today.
Let start saying that i wasn’t on a happy mood when i started work on
my car. The Oil Plug Bolt was so tight i was loosing my temper and i
got my breaker bar to loosen it and I guess i did not notice which way
i was pulling.
Now the bolt turns easly to the right and to the left but it does not
get any tigher or looser.
The point is I can’t get it out (i’ll try tomorrow again at an earlier
time) but
What do you guys thinks it could be?? the threds??
Do I have change the oil pan?? Any ideas on how to get the oil out of
the car??

Thank you your time guys (next time i’ll clam down before doing
anything) :P

Thread archive: http://www.AutoBoardz.com/Jeep-Grand...ict250102.html
Old November 3rd 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Refinish King[_2_]

The steel threaded support that is welded in the pan:

Sheet metal does not thread, so the companies that make the oil pans, thread
a piece of thicker steel, into the pan. For the plug to tighten into.

If it is an aluminum pan, and this happened. Removing it wont be a problem.

However, if the pan is stamped steel, I'm sure the only way you'll be able
to remove it is, removing the pan.

I hope this helps?

RK
news:1214602_4182b4c525c8fe5630b7126620639062@auto boardz.com...

Old November 3rd 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Greg[_1_]

I would try wedging a sharp chisel or knife under lip of bolt and prying
on it while turning with wrench, may work.