Californian busybody telling Canada about cars

Old November 23rd 04, 09:21 PM
Spike

Dang, you know my mechanic...

On 23 Nov 2004 12:46:51 EST, "Jim S." > wrote:

>What if automobile mechanics picked up on your line of reasoning ?
>
>"Sorry Mr. Jones, your transmission isn't operating properly due to quantum
>fluctuations. That's not covered under the warranty, so you'll have to pay
>for it. We don't do that kind of work here, so we'll have to send you over
>to Steve Hawking's garage, they do quantum mechanical jobs."
>
> "Will they have to use a particle accelerator?"
>
>"Oh yeah, they'll have to come up with a unified field theory too, you're
>looking at some serious cost and time."
>

>Can I pick-up a quantum-metrics wrench set at Sears?
>

>"Jim S." > wrote in message
>> Matter reacts in the same way 99.99(to infinity)% of the time You're in
>> the smallest possible realm!
>>
>> If you want to say, "well, matter sometimes changes it properties," well,
>> maybe it does. But, 99.9999(to infinity)% of the time, if I walk into a
>> brick wall, I won't pass through it. Sure, there is that infinitesimal
>> chance that matter will react differently and I can walk right through,
>> but for the purpose of not getting a broken nose, I'm not going to bet on
>> it.
>>
>> If as a result of the tiny chance that matter will not react in its usual
>> way, you want to throw up your hands and say, "Well, I can't fix the
>> refrigerator because the matter it consists of may act in an new way," how
>> can you ever do anything?
>>
>> You can't just ignore Newtonian physics. If you do, climate change would
>> be the least of your worries. You should be more concerned with waking up
>> as a fish!
>>
>> I'll say it again, if the morals of 'beyond a reasonable doubt' can put a
>> man to death, surely, they can be used to legislate carbon emissions.
>>

>> "Spike" > wrote in message
>>> Ah... now you limit the scope from science in general to Newtonian...
>>> Guess there was too much leeway in the broadest scope of science.
>>> When one retreats into the smallest possible realm, there is far less
>>> possibility of being wrong. You should read Ann Coulter's book... LOL
>>>
>>> And the fishing, under bright sun was COLD!!!!!!!

>>> Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
>>> 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
>>> Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
>>> Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
>>> w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Old November 23rd 04, 09:22 PM
Spike

Again, you admit to the possibility of error.

On 23 Nov 2004 10:57:10 EST, "Jim S." > wrote:

>Matter reacts in the same way 99.99(to infinity)% of the time You're in the
>smallest possible realm!
>
>If you want to say, "well, matter sometimes changes it properties," well,
>maybe it does. But, 99.9999(to infinity)% of the time, if I walk into a
>brick wall, I won't pass through it. Sure, there is that infinitesimal
>chance that matter will react differently and I can walk right through, but
>for the purpose of not getting a broken nose, I'm not going to bet on it.
>
>If as a result of the tiny chance that matter will not react in its usual
>way, you want to throw up your hands and say, "Well, I can't fix the
>refrigerator because the matter it consists of may act in an new way," how
>can you ever do anything?
>
>You can't just ignore Newtonian physics. If you do, climate change would be
>the least of your worries. You should be more concerned with waking up as a
>fish!
>
>I'll say it again, if the morals of 'beyond a reasonable doubt' can put a
>man to death, surely, they can be used to legislate carbon emissions.

.. .

Old November 23rd 04, 09:31 PM
Spike

To paraphrase Slick Willie Clinton... depends on yer definition of
many... It also depends upon the subject group in the study. And a
large number of people who believe in religion, do not attend church
on a regular basis. And I have been among believers and non-believers
and found many who would not express themselves either way for various
reasons; being generally uncomfortable with the subject, not wishing
to offend, not wishing to engage in an unwinable argument, etc.
Considering the period during which you were a scientist... few
scientists who did believe would have admitted it to their peers, and
would even have denied it. Human behavior is what human behavior is.

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:40:59 GMT, rw >
wrote:

>Spike wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 04:27:44 GMT, rw >
>> wrote:

>>>WTF are you reading, or listening to? Whatever it is, stop it, because
>>>you're in cloud cuckoo land.

><moved top-posted reply here, where it belongs>
>
> > actually an interview with several astronomers, mathematician and a
> > geneticist or two in a discussion which originated on the subject of
> > cloning and extended from there.

>A survey in 1916 reported that 40% of scientists surveyed believed in a
>supreme being.
>
>A relatively recent survey in "Nature" (1998), which surveyed 517
>members of the National Academy of Sciences, reported that only 7%
>expressed belief in a "personal god", while 72.2% expressed "personal
>disbelief," and 20.8% expressed "doubt or agnosticism." Mathematicians
>were much more likely to believe in god than scientists in other fields.
>Those in the life sciences were among the least likely to believe in god.
>
>I was a scientist before I retired, in a highly interdisciplinary field.
>I can't recall a single colleague who expressed religious beliefs or who
>attended church regularly. In fact, the general attitude in coffee-hour
>discussions that touched on religion was thorough-going atheism and even
>contempt for religion.
>
>To assert that "many scientists are stepping forward and acknowledging
>that they have come to believe in the Hand of God in Creation," based on
>an interview that probably appeared in a religious publication, is
>preposterous.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Old November 23rd 04, 10:14 PM
Jim S.

I want a quantum speed-shop.

"Have your car cross the finish line before you even decide to go to the
track!"

"Spike" > wrote in message
> Dang, you know my mechanic...
>
> On 23 Nov 2004 12:46:51 EST, "Jim S." > wrote:
>
>>What if automobile mechanics picked up on your line of reasoning ?
>>
>>"Sorry Mr. Jones, your transmission isn't operating properly due to
>>quantum
>>fluctuations. That's not covered under the warranty, so you'll have to pay
>>for it. We don't do that kind of work here, so we'll have to send you over
>>to Steve Hawking's garage, they do quantum mechanical jobs."
>>
>> "Will they have to use a particle accelerator?"
>>
>>"Oh yeah, they'll have to come up with a unified field theory too, you're
>>looking at some serious cost and time."
>>

>>Can I pick-up a quantum-metrics wrench set at Sears?
>>

>>"Jim S." > wrote in message
>>> Matter reacts in the same way 99.99(to infinity)% of the time You're in
>>> the smallest possible realm!
>>>
>>> If you want to say, "well, matter sometimes changes it properties,"
>>> well,
>>> maybe it does. But, 99.9999(to infinity)% of the time, if I walk into a
>>> brick wall, I won't pass through it. Sure, there is that infinitesimal
>>> chance that matter will react differently and I can walk right through,
>>> but for the purpose of not getting a broken nose, I'm not going to bet
>>> on
>>> it.
>>>
>>> If as a result of the tiny chance that matter will not react in its
>>> usual
>>> way, you want to throw up your hands and say, "Well, I can't fix the
>>> refrigerator because the matter it consists of may act in an new way,"
>>> how
>>> can you ever do anything?
>>>
>>> You can't just ignore Newtonian physics. If you do, climate change would
>>> be the least of your worries. You should be more concerned with waking
>>> up
>>> as a fish!
>>>
>>> I'll say it again, if the morals of 'beyond a reasonable doubt' can put
>>> man to death, surely, they can be used to legislate carbon emissions.

> Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
> 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
> Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
> Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
> w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

NTSB Wants Black Boxes in Passenger Vehicles MoPar Man Chrysler 62 January 14th 05 02:44 PM
HEMI's HOT Luke Smith Driving 208 December 19th 04 05:27 PM
Nationality of car makers: Audi, Dodge/Chrysler, Porsche, Jaguar castoris Chrysler 14 December 18th 04 01:31 PM
European Cars Least Reliable Richard Schulman VW water cooled 3 November 11th 04 09:41 AM
FS: 1991 "Classic Cars" (Of The World) Cards with Box J.R. Sinclair General 0 May 27th 04 07:31 AM