'07 Saturn Aura radiator fan continues to run

Old October 18th 12, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Shawn

Default '07 Saturn Aura radiator fan continues to run

I own a '07 Saturn Aura XR that has 155K miles on it. A week ago it started doing something strange. The issue I'm experiencing only happens about 60% of the time. What I've noticed is this - after I turn off the engine and remove the key, the radiator fan continues to run for about 3 to 4 minutes. Sometimes, just before shutting off the car, I'll notice that the temperature gauge is pointed higher then usual. I'm worried that one of these times the fan will not shut off and I'll come out to a dead battery. Luckily, this hasn't happened yet. So far I've noticed that the fan will shut off a few minutes after turning off the engine. And, like I said, it doesn't do this every time I shut off the car. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the radiator fan continues to run even after turning the car off and the key removed? Thanks so much for the input!!
Old October 18th 12, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SteveT[_2_]

....Normal operation -- I'm surprised it only JUST started happening a week
ago! I suspect you just didn't notice it before.
....The fact that you noticed the temperature gauge being higher than normal
is telling. I'd suggest you check the cooling system (or have it checked). I
would guess that it's very likely the two conditions (hot temp and fan
running) are related.
....Good luck!

Old October 18th 12, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Many cars have a cooling system that runs even when the ignition switch is
off. This is because on some designs, there is not enough (or any)
convection in the cooling water to ensure a flow. This by itself can be
normal (don't know that much about the Aura so can't say with authority). I
do think that the key thing you said is the the temperature gauge is
pointing higher than normal. First thing I would do is flush the cooling
system thoroughly - especially if you haven't done it in two years. Have it
done professionally if you don't know how to backflush it. You may have
some sediment or corrosion that is blocking some of the cooling passages,
making the engine run hotter.
If you have a friend with an OBDii scanner, you can read the coolant
temperature and see how it compares to actual temperature.

Running down a battery with a few minutes of radiator fan is only a concern
if the battery has either been abused, charging system problems or the
battery is over 5 years old - in which case it's due for replacement anyway.

Hope that helped - Oppie

Old October 18th 12, 10:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

I own a '07 Saturn Aura XR that has 155K miles on it. A week ago it
started doing something strange. The issue I'm experiencing only
happens about 60% of the time. What I've noticed is this - after I
turn off the engine and remove the key, the radiator fan continues to
run for about 3 to 4 minutes. Sometimes, just before shutting off the
car, I'll notice that the temperature gauge is pointed higher then
usual. I'm worried that one of these times the fan will not shut off
and I'll come out to a dead battery. Luckily, this hasn't happened
yet. So far I've noticed that the fan will shut off a few minutes
after turning off the engine. And, like I said, it doesn't do this
every time I shut off the car. Does anyone have any suggestions as to
why the radiator fan continues to run even after turning the car off
and the key removed? Thanks so much for the input!!

>...Normal operation -- I'm surprised it only JUST started happening a week
>ago! I suspect you just didn't notice it before.
>...The fact that you noticed the temperature gauge being higher than normal
>is telling. I'd suggest you check the cooling system (or have it checked). I
>would guess that it's very likely the two conditions (hot temp and fan
>running) are related.
>...Good luck!

.... also - can hot tranny also affect coolent temp ?
Don't overlook that possibility ... time for a tranny service ?
John T.

Old October 19th 12, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Shawn

On Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:04:43 PM UTC-4, SteveT wrote:
> ...Normal operation -- I'm surprised it only JUST started happening a week
>
> ago! I suspect you just didn't notice it before.
>
> ...The fact that you noticed the temperature gauge being higher than normal
>
> is telling. I'd suggest you check the cooling system (or have it checked). I
>
> would guess that it's very likely the two conditions (hot temp and fan
>
> running) are related.
>
> ...Good luck!

Thanks!!
Old October 19th 12, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Shawn

On Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:05:40 PM UTC-4, Oppie wrote:
> Many cars have a cooling system that runs even when the ignition switch is
>
> off. This is because on some designs, there is not enough (or any)
>
> convection in the cooling water to ensure a flow. This by itself can be
>
> normal (don't know that much about the Aura so can't say with authority). I
>
> do think that the key thing you said is the the temperature gauge is
>
> pointing higher than normal. First thing I would do is flush the cooling
>
> system thoroughly - especially if you haven't done it in two years. Have it
>
> done professionally if you don't know how to backflush it. You may have
>
> some sediment or corrosion that is blocking some of the cooling passages,
>
> making the engine run hotter.
>
> If you have a friend with an OBDii scanner, you can read the coolant
>
> temperature and see how it compares to actual temperature.
>

> Running down a battery with a few minutes of radiator fan is only a concern
>
> if the battery has either been abused, charging system problems or the
>
> battery is over 5 years old - in which case it's due for replacement anyway.
>

> Hope that helped - Oppie
>

> "Shawn wrote in message

> > I own a '07 Saturn Aura XR that has 155K miles on it. A week ago it

> > started doing something strange. The issue I'm experiencing only happens

> > about 60% of the time. What I've noticed is this - after I turn off the

> > engine and remove the key, the radiator fan continues to run for about 3

> > to 4 minutes. Sometimes, just before shutting off the car, I'll notice

> > that the temperature gauge is pointed higher then usual. I'm worried that

> > one of these times the fan will not shut off and I'll come out to a dead

> > battery. Luckily, this hasn't happened yet. So far I've noticed that the

> > fan will shut off a few minutes after turning off the engine. And, like I

> > said, it doesn't do this every time I shut off the car. Does anyone have

> > any suggestions as to why the radiator fan continues to run even after

> > turning the car off and the key removed? Thanks so much for the input!!

I appreciate it.
Old October 19th 12, 03:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Shawn

On Thursday, October 18, 2012 5:37:47 PM UTC-4, wrote:

> I own a '07 Saturn Aura XR that has 155K miles on it. A week ago it
>
> started doing something strange. The issue I'm experiencing only
>
> happens about 60% of the time. What I've noticed is this - after I
>
> turn off the engine and remove the key, the radiator fan continues to
>
> run for about 3 to 4 minutes. Sometimes, just before shutting off the
>
> car, I'll notice that the temperature gauge is pointed higher then
>
> usual. I'm worried that one of these times the fan will not shut off
>
> and I'll come out to a dead battery. Luckily, this hasn't happened
>
> yet. So far I've noticed that the fan will shut off a few minutes
>
> after turning off the engine. And, like I said, it doesn't do this
>
> every time I shut off the car. Does anyone have any suggestions as to
>
> why the radiator fan continues to run even after turning the car off
>
> and the key removed? Thanks so much for the input!!

> >...Normal operation -- I'm surprised it only JUST started happening a week

> >ago! I suspect you just didn't notice it before.

> >...The fact that you noticed the temperature gauge being higher than normal

> >is telling. I'd suggest you check the cooling system (or have it checked). I

> >would guess that it's very likely the two conditions (hot temp and fan

> >running) are related.

> >...Good luck!

> ... also - can hot tranny also affect coolent temp ?
>
> Don't overlook that possibility ... time for a tranny service ?
>
> John T.
>

> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

I suppose it isn't out of the question. . . but, I had a complete Tranny rebuild done in November of last year. . . Thanks for the insight!
Old October 19th 12, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Shawn

On Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:04:43 PM UTC-4, SteveT wrote:
> ...Normal operation -- I'm surprised it only JUST started happening a week
>
> ago! I suspect you just didn't notice it before.
>
> ...The fact that you noticed the temperature gauge being higher than normal
>
> is telling. I'd suggest you check the cooling system (or have it checked). I
>
> would guess that it's very likely the two conditions (hot temp and fan
>
> running) are related.
>
> ...Good luck!

I also considered the fact that the fan was continuing to run because of the higher than normal temperature. . the higher temperature does have me concerned as well. I'm also thinking that the two are related. . .
Old October 23rd 12, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SMS

On 10/18/2012 8:22 AM, Shawn wrote:
> I own a '07 Saturn Aura XR that has 155K miles on it. A week ago it started doing something strange. The issue I'm experiencing only happens about 60% of the time. What I've noticed is this - after I turn off the engine and remove the key, the radiator fan continues to run for about 3 to 4 minutes. Sometimes, just before shutting off the car, I'll notice that the temperature gauge is pointed higher then usual. I'm worried that one of these times the fan will not shut off and I'll come out to a dead battery. Luckily, this hasn't happened yet. So far I've noticed that the fan will shut off a few minutes after turning off the engine. And, like I said, it doesn't do this every time I shut off the car. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the radiator fan continues to run even after turning the car off and the key removed? Thanks so much for the input!!

This behavior is quite normal on vehicles with electric fans, but if it
just started doing this recently, and the temperature gauge is
indicating higher than normal, then it might be an indication that
something else is wrong. The thermostat could be failing, i.e. opening
at a higher temperature which would elevate the coolant temperature.

Probably not the temperature sensor switch for the electric fan which
appears to be doing its job. If the temperature sensor switch were
faulty (turning on the fan at a higher temperature), then it would not
be staying on to cool the engine down after the engine is shut off.

When was the last time the thermostat was changed? Was it an OEM
thermostat or after-market? Sometimes the after-market thermostats are
not opening at the proper temperature and the normal operating
temperature of the engine changes. You don't want to run either too hot
or too cool, so putting in a lower temperature thermostat is not a good
idea.
Old October 23rd 12, 02:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

"SMS" > wrote in message
> Probably not the temperature sensor switch for the electric fan which
> appears to be doing its job. If the temperature sensor switch were faulty
> (turning on the fan at a higher temperature), then it would not be staying
> on to cool the engine down after the engine is shut off.
>
> When was the last time the thermostat was changed? Was it an OEM
> thermostat or after-market? Sometimes the after-market thermostats are not
> opening at the proper temperature and the normal operating temperature of
> the engine changes. You don't want to run either too hot or too cool, so
> putting in a lower temperature thermostat is not a good idea.

Most of the recent systems I've seen for controlling the cooling fan use the
Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS). The ECU reads that and controls the
temperature gauge and cooling fan. If that's the case, don't think you have
two separate systems that agree.
I had an old Subaru where a temperature switch in the radiator directly
controlled the cooling fan. In that case, as the contacts wore with age
(from switching current), the car began running hotter. Changing the switch
was the fix.
Most thermostats by the way they are designed will tend to fail open
rather than closed. That's why I recommended a cooling system flush.

Good call from Hubops about tranny temp. Auto Trans have an oil cooler that
is part of the radiator. This can add to the coolant temperature in extreme
cases. Good idea to check the color and smell of the tranny fluid.