Wheel bearing or something else?

Old March 23rd 12, 10:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
somebody[_2_]

Default Wheel bearing or something else?

I have that whining/grumbling noise on a 2005 Ion-2 with 5-speed.
Something like the sound of coarse snow tires, but the summer tires
are on.

Bit it doesn't change when turning, like an earlier bad bearing on our
SL-2. What could this be? If it is a bad bearing, then which one? I
tried jacking it up and turning the wheels by hand, but could not
figure it out.

Thanks!
Old March 23rd 12, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Orval Fairbairn

In article >,
somebody > wrote:

> I have that whining/grumbling noise on a 2005 Ion-2 with 5-speed.
> Something like the sound of coarse snow tires, but the summer tires
> are on.
>
> Bit it doesn't change when turning, like an earlier bad bearing on our
> SL-2. What could this be? If it is a bad bearing, then which one? I
> tried jacking it up and turning the wheels by hand, but could not
> figure it out.
>
> Thanks!

You should be able to feel the vibrations of a bad bearing when you jack
up the car and turn the wheel by hand. Also, try rotating the wheel
against the axle -- out of plane movement. You may also have loose lug
nuts.
Old March 23rd 12, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
somebody[_2_]

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:47:05 -0400, Orval Fairbairn
> wrote:

>In article >,
> somebody > wrote:
>
>> I have that whining/grumbling noise on a 2005 Ion-2 with 5-speed.
>> Something like the sound of coarse snow tires, but the summer tires
>> are on.
>>
>> Bit it doesn't change when turning, like an earlier bad bearing on our
>> SL-2. What could this be? If it is a bad bearing, then which one? I
>> tried jacking it up and turning the wheels by hand, but could not
>> figure it out.
>>
>> Thanks!

>You should be able to feel the vibrations of a bad bearing when you jack
>up the car and turn the wheel by hand. Also, try rotating the wheel
>against the axle -- out of plane movement. You may also have loose lug
>nuts.

I tried rotating the wheel when jacked up, could not tell which side.
The lug nuts were just tightened to 90-95 ft-lbs.

I will try jiggling the wheel next.
Old March 24th 12, 01:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
somebody[_2_]

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 17:00:59 -0400, somebody >
wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:47:05 -0400, Orval Fairbairn
> wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> somebody > wrote:
>>
>>> I have that whining/grumbling noise on a 2005 Ion-2 with 5-speed.
>>> Something like the sound of coarse snow tires, but the summer tires
>>> are on.
>>>
>>> Bit it doesn't change when turning, like an earlier bad bearing on our
>>> SL-2. What could this be? If it is a bad bearing, then which one? I
>>> tried jacking it up and turning the wheels by hand, but could not
>>> figure it out.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>>You should be able to feel the vibrations of a bad bearing when you jack
>>up the car and turn the wheel by hand. Also, try rotating the wheel
>>against the axle -- out of plane movement. You may also have loose lug
>>nuts.

>I tried rotating the wheel when jacked up, could not tell which side.
>The lug nuts were just tightened to 90-95 ft-lbs.
>
>I will try jiggling the wheel next.

No free play on the wheels. Jacked up the back and it isn't the back
wheels. They turn freely.

There isn't much noise until 20 MPH or so. It's still there with
engine off and transmission in neutral.

Still can't tell which side it is.
Old March 24th 12, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

"somebody" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 17:00:59 -0400, somebody >
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:47:05 -0400, Orval Fairbairn
> wrote:

>>>You should be able to feel the vibrations of a bad bearing when you jack
>>>up the car and turn the wheel by hand. Also, try rotating the wheel
>>>against the axle -- out of plane movement. You may also have loose lug
>>>nuts.

>>I tried rotating the wheel when jacked up, could not tell which side.
>>The lug nuts were just tightened to 90-95 ft-lbs.
>>
>>I will try jiggling the wheel next.

> No free play on the wheels. Jacked up the back and it isn't the back
> wheels. They turn freely.
>
> There isn't much noise until 20 MPH or so. It's still there with
> engine off and transmission in neutral.
>
> Still can't tell which side it is.

IMHE, a deteriorating wheel bearing will make noise for a very long distance
before failing. Use caution, YMMV. As the bearing deteriorates it will
normally make more noise when cornering and usually more in one direction
than another.

Until the bearing gets quite bad, it is often hard to feel or hear any bad
bearing noise when inspected by hand, largely due to the drag from the brake
pads. If you remove both front calipers and pads, (hang the caliper with
wire, do not suspend with the brake fluid hose) and reinstall the wheels,
then the bad side noise will be easier to find by spinning the wheel. IMHE,
The bearing needs to be really far gone before any excess play can be felt.
A proper mechanics stethoscope can be helpful. It is quite easy to replace
the wrong side bearing, DAMHIK.

Good luck, YMMV

Old March 25th 12, 12:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

top post

Is there a "hanger bearing" on the axle ?
( for lack of the proper term )
a bushing between the tranny & CV joint ?
My old SL1 needed this fixed - similar symptoms.
John T.

wheel bearing problem deafone 4x4 0 May 19th 07 06:04 PM
Rear wheel bearing E36 320i BMW 1 August 3rd 06 05:44 AM
Please Please Help Front Wheel Bearing lesandwendy Chrysler 1 June 21st 05 01:30 AM
Bearing Races Question and Wheel Bearing Pack Question Kevin Holzer VW air cooled 3 June 11th 05 05:51 AM
WHEEL BEARING FOR1196D 4x4 8 April 3rd 04 03:37 PM