Recommendations for convertible top treatment

Old January 24th 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Default Recommendations for convertible top treatment

when was the last time that you used it?

Old January 24th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Iva wrote:

> Armor All will also run down your windows and windshield, and onto
> your paint, leaving a slimy glaze on everything.
>
> Iva & Belle.)
> '90B Classic Red.)
> #3 winkin' Miata

For a LONG time, even after washing it. That helpful neighbor of mine
must have used half a bottle on my top, it had run down the windshield
and collected on the wiper blades.

Nasty stuff, they do make a good glass cleaner, though.

Pat
Old January 24th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Pat wrote:
> Iva wrote:
>
>> Armor All will also run down your windows and windshield, and onto
>> your paint, leaving a slimy glaze on everything.
>>

> For a LONG time, even after washing it. That helpful neighbor of
> mine must have used half a bottle on my top, it had run down the
> windshield and collected on the wiper blades.
>
> Nasty stuff, they do make a good glass cleaner, though.

Well, they have to - gotta clean all that crap off your windows
somehow! <g>

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

Old January 25th 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

I sent for and recieved it in about July or so 2006. I used it again in
Sept. When I put the treatment on, I put it on very heavy, ie. the top
was "Wet". I waited about two days and did it again. I put water on it
and found some spots that I had not put it on strong enough, so I went
over those spots again. After that, it repels water very well. You do
need to put a lot on to make it work. With 303 Protectant that I used on
my '91, if you put that on too heavy, it does not look or feel good and
needs to be wiped off to work well. Hear again, you should do it a
number of times before it starts to look good.

I have the hard top on now, so I will let you know how it works and
looks a little later in the year. :-)

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old January 25th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Hi Chris,

Gee, sounds like a bad deal ok. I did put the treatment on very heavy!
(and in the sunshine, about 80 deg's F ) It took about two hours to
start to look dry, even at that temp. I put it on so the cloth looked
like I had just washed it with water, so I put a LOT on it. I felt it
needed to soak into the mat'l. I ended up doing that 3 times the first
time and the same again about 2 months later. Yes, is looked like it
worked for me. Sad to hear you had trouble with them. That never makes
customers come back.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old January 25th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Thanks for the detail. The fact that you were about to do it in the
sunshine implies that you could do it outdoors. I was able to do that the
first time I used RagTop in 2005 but inn late 2006 they changed the nozzle
to such a fine spray that even if held just a few inches above the top the
slightest wind would blow it away. It was apparent that I had to do it
indoors. Used the whole can in three separate applications, just like the
first time, probably as generous as you were... but this time it didn't bead
water. The process isn't hard but it is time consuming to clean the top,
wait for it to dry, protect from over spray, and apply... and to have it
not work is annoying. But my biggest complain isn't that the product failed
to work, but that the owner of the company (seemingly a one man show) was a
creep when asked about what could have gone wrong. Glad that it worked for
you, however I caution that the experience with your next can might not be
as positive.

Old January 25th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Was your 91 a cloth or vinyl top? I'm thinking that it was vinyl since the
303 areospace *protectant* is for vinyl (the high tech fabric guard is for
cloth). And that makes me wonder about your Ragtop application, was that
for a vinyl or cloth top? My comments about Ragtop was for a cloth top (not
vinyl).

Old January 26th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Hi Chris,

The stuff I got was in a pump spray bottle. The cleaner and the
treatment. Maybe they have changed the product from when I did mine
?????

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old January 26th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Yes, my '91 was a vinyl top and I used 303 Protectent that I got from
Camping World for vinyl rollout sunshades on the sides of motorhomes.
The RaggTopp (their true trade name) was for cloth top applications.

They both worked well for me. The '91 was the OEM top from '91 and it
looked new when I sold the car a year ago. I do keep the cars in side a
garage at night, but they are all time drivers. The '91 had 135,000
miles on it and my '03 has 63,000 miles on it. ( I don't believe in
parking the cars and just looking at them.) I also drive them all year,
sun or rain ( and we get our share if rain in Seattle :-) )

Bruce Bing '03 LS

So you want to give your car the royal "spare no expense" treatment? Well, an entrepreneur in Surrey, England, boasts that he has a nine-month waiting list for what he says is "the best car wash in the world." The price for the 61 tom Technology 0 November 17th 06 01:38 PM
AWA [OFFER] Engine Treatment w/ MoS2 [email protected] General 0 January 12th 06 03:56 AM
shop equipment recommendations Mostro Technology 1 November 28th 05 04:53 PM
65 tire recommendations bad65 Corvette 6 November 29th 04 10:53 PM
Recommendations for very small nible 4x4 chase vehicle... Mesquito Creek 4x4 28 July 21st 04 05:30 PM