'01 Miata - changing out Bose Radio for aftermarket

Old January 22nd 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Karl North

Default '01 Miata - changing out Bose Radio for aftermarket

Hello All,
I'm changing out the factory Bose CD system in my '01 because I want to
have MP3 capability and XM Radio. I am going to put in an Alpine head unit
etc. I would LIKE to reuse the factory speakers as I do like the way they
sound.

Is the Bose amp built into the head unit or is it somewhere else in the
passenger compartment?

I know that every other Bose system I have worked on in other cars have used
very low impedance speakers (1 Ohms to 2 Ohms). Are they the same in the
Miatas?

Thanks,
Karl N.

FS: 1990 Cherry Red Miata - Rebuilt Engine and 5 Speed Trans, New Paint, etc
email for pictures. prince reduced to 3250.00. Must sell before Feb 15th.

Old January 22nd 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Karl North" > wrote:

> I'm changing out the factory Bose CD system in my '01 because
> I want to have MP3 capability and XM Radio. I am going to put in
> an Alpine head unit etc.

There's probably not much use in telling you this but you should
read Miata.net, particularly the section on audio for some ideas.
You can add MP3 and XM radio to your existing unit which is probably
much superior to the Alpine unit (NOTE: I personally believe Alpine
is really cheap crap that sells for big bucks but, as always, YMMV.)

> I would LIKE to reuse the factory speakers as I do like the way
> they sound.
>
> Is the Bose amp built into the head unit or is it somewhere else
> in the passenger compartment?

No and no (I think?), I believe the Miata uses two amps located in the
doors.

Read the audio section of Miata.net, it will answer your questions.

http://www.miata.net/garage/garageaudio.html

NOTE: Bookmark this url:

http://www.miata.net/

If you're going to have a Miata, you'll be going there often!
Old January 24th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

XS11E > wrote:

>"Karl North" > wrote:
>
>> I'm changing out the factory Bose CD system in my '01 because
>> I want to have MP3 capability and XM Radio. I am going to put in
>> an Alpine head unit etc.

>There's probably not much use in telling you this but you should
>read Miata.net, particularly the section on audio for some ideas.
>You can add MP3 and XM radio to your existing unit which is probably
>much superior to the Alpine unit (NOTE: I personally believe Alpine
>is really cheap crap that sells for big bucks but, as always, YMMV.)
>
>> I would LIKE to reuse the factory speakers as I do like the way
>> they sound.
>>
>> Is the Bose amp built into the head unit or is it somewhere else
>> in the passenger compartment?

>No and no (I think?), I believe the Miata uses two amps located in the
>doors.
>
>Read the audio section of Miata.net, it will answer your questions.
>
>http://www.miata.net/garage/garageaudio.html
>
>NOTE: Bookmark this url:
>
>http://www.miata.net/

Actually, I think Karl has been coming here for quite some years.

>If you're going to have a Miata, you'll be going there often!

I think he already has had a couple of Miatas.

Leon
--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old January 24th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Craig Wagner

"Karl North" > wrote:

> I'm changing out the factory Bose CD system in my '01 because I want to
>have MP3 capability and XM Radio. I am going to put in an Alpine head unit
>etc. I would LIKE to reuse the factory speakers as I do like the way they
>sound.
>
>Is the Bose amp built into the head unit or is it somewhere else in the
>passenger compartment?

As I understand it, the Bose amp(s) is/are buried up behind the dash.

I did this with my '01, swapped out the HU for a Kenwood to get MP3 capability.
The place that installed it put a converter between the HU and the amp that
stepped down the power coming out of the HU and then fed it to the amp, which
did its thing before sending to the speakers.

I don't have the car anymore, and I don't recall the price or brand name. I do
recall it worked very well.
Old January 25th 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Karl North

"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
> XS11E > wrote:
>
>>"Karl North" > wrote:
>>
>>> I'm changing out the factory Bose CD system in my '01 because
>>> I want to have MP3 capability and XM Radio. I am going to put in
>>> an Alpine head unit etc.

>>There's probably not much use in telling you this but you should
>>read Miata.net, particularly the section on audio for some ideas.
>>You can add MP3 and XM radio to your existing unit which is probably
>>much superior to the Alpine unit (NOTE: I personally believe Alpine
>>is really cheap crap that sells for big bucks but, as always, YMMV.)
>>
>>> I would LIKE to reuse the factory speakers as I do like the way
>>> they sound.
>>>
>>> Is the Bose amp built into the head unit or is it somewhere else
>>> in the passenger compartment?

>>No and no (I think?), I believe the Miata uses two amps located in the
>>doors.
>>
>>Read the audio section of Miata.net, it will answer your questions.
>>
>>http://www.miata.net/garage/garageaudio.html
>>
>>NOTE: Bookmark this url:
>>
>>http://www.miata.net/

> Actually, I think Karl has been coming here for quite some years.
>
>>If you're going to have a Miata, you'll be going there often!

> I think he already has had a couple of Miatas.
>
> Leon
> --

Leon,
Yes, I do currently have 3 Miatas. I have a 1990, a 2001, and a new
2007. And yes, I've used Miata.net a LOT.
Honestly my favorite is the 2001. I have been more and more disenchanted
with the '07. The PRHT was the big selling point but I'm at 2700 miles and
I'm not happy with the handling etc. I don't think I should be considering
upgrades on a car I JUST bought. :-)
I think it may have to go away soon.

As to the speakers and audio system, I was just asking for everyone's
opinions on the whole audio thing. I'm probably going to use Clearwater's
replacement speakers. But only IF they offer subs with rubber surrounds. I'm
not a fan of foam surrounds rotting out in my doors.

Thanks for recognizing that I have been around for a while.

-Karl N.

Old January 26th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

If you go to miata.net, Garage in the audio section, thete is complete
information on doing just what you are asking about. They do not
reccomend using the OEM Bose speakers, but it sounds like you can. The
amps are in the speakers on the Bose units.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old January 27th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

"Karl North" > wrote:

>"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
.. .
>> XS11E > wrote:

>>>There's probably not much use in telling you this but you should
>>>read Miata.net, particularly the section on audio for some ideas.
>>>You can add MP3 and XM radio to your existing unit which is probably
>>>much superior to the Alpine unit (NOTE: I personally believe Alpine
>>>is really cheap crap that sells for big bucks but, as always, YMMV.)

>>>No and no (I think?), I believe the Miata uses two amps located in the
>>>doors.
>>>
>>>Read the audio section of Miata.net, it will answer your questions.
>>>
>>>http://www.miata.net/garage/garageaudio.html
>>>
>>>NOTE: Bookmark this url:
>>>
>>>http://www.miata.net/

>> Actually, I think Karl has been coming here for quite some years.
>>
>>>If you're going to have a Miata, you'll be going there often!

>> I think he already has had a couple of Miatas.
>>
>> Leon
>> --

>Leon,
> Yes, I do currently have 3 Miatas. I have a 1990, a 2001, and a new
>2007. And yes, I've used Miata.net a LOT.
>Honestly my favorite is the 2001. I have been more and more disenchanted
>with the '07. The PRHT was the big selling point but I'm at 2700 miles and
>I'm not happy with the handling etc. I don't think I should be considering
>upgrades on a car I JUST bought. :-)
>I think it may have to go away soon.

I am happy with my NC, though clearly the NC is targeted to a quite different
audience than the NA and NB (almost everyone on this group.) I would think
in a few years, this newsgroup will be more varied in opinion; the same
happened in 1997 when most of us were solidly against the NB, like
your 01.

Leon

Miata Radio [email protected] Mazda 20 December 10th 06 12:47 AM
Changing my radio Rochester VW water cooled 8 January 19th 05 07:23 PM
changing radio faceplate stavan VW water cooled 5 January 17th 05 09:53 PM
Changing the radio Andy Heer BMW 4 December 21st 04 02:49 AM
A6-98: Changing from 1 DIN to 2 DIN radio Bent S. Lund Audi 1 August 25th 04 05:26 PM