Air intake mods? Which one?

Old March 17th 04, 04:15 PM
james

Default Air intake mods? Which one?

Question for all you auto buffs. Ive got a 95 Jeep grand cherokee.
It has come to my attention that it might be possible to increase Fuel
Economy by adding one of these mods from ebay. Can you give me your
opinion on the following:
1) can you use one of these "performance modules" in conjunction with
an air intake device?
2)There are a bunch of K&N air intakes, Imitation K&N intakes, this
"vortex" device, this "tornado" device among others. I am interested
in increasiing my MPG but not interested in paying upwards of 150 for
a K&N. Can anyone recommend one of the imitation ones such as this
one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=2467691 696
or the vortex which are both considerably less, but seem to have a
similar design? Any input?
3)Are there any other relatively inexpensive ways to get more milage
for my gas? I dont feel like getting stung as badly by these gas
prices.

Thanks alot,
James
Old March 17th 04, 04:23 PM
Doki

james wrote:
> Question for all you auto buffs. Ive got a 95 Jeep grand cherokee.
> It has come to my attention that it might be possible to increase Fuel
> Economy by adding one of these mods from ebay. Can you give me your
> opinion on the following:
> 1) can you use one of these "performance modules" in conjunction with
> an air intake device?

The "chips" etc. sold on ebay don't work. Generally they're just resistors
which fool the ECU into running a slightly wrong mixture.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ory=38634&item
=2467691696
> or the vortex which are both considerably less, but seem to have a
> similar design? Any input?

They don't work either. A K&N or similar performance panel filter (ie, fits
in your standard airbox) might help, but a new OEM (ie Chrysler/Jeep) filter
might be just as good.

> 3)Are there any other relatively inexpensive ways to get more milage
> for my gas? I dont feel like getting stung as badly by these gas
> prices.

Drive slower, swap your wheels for ones with more aerodynamic trims / fit
lower rolling resistance tyres (either special tyres or just narrower),
check your tyre pressures are correct, fit an aerodynamic underbody. Keep a
longer stopping distance between you and the car in front so that you have
to brake and acellerate less.

Old March 17th 04, 04:23 PM
Doki

Old March 17th 04, 10:31 PM
Paul_N

K/N filter does not help your fuel consumption nor improve Hp either. I
have K/N just for re-use purpose only. Perhaps tires
Jeep has always known for hard on gas. So there is not much you can do.

Old March 17th 04, 10:31 PM
Paul_N

Old March 17th 04, 10:36 PM
.boB

james wrote:

>Question for all you auto buffs. Ive got a 95 Jeep grand cherokee.
>It has come to my attention that it might be possible to increase Fuel
>Economy by adding one of these mods from ebay. Can you give me your
>opinion on the following:
>1) can you use one of these "performance modules" in conjunction with
>an air intake device?

Yes. But these "performance modules" are usually just a resistor
to change the way the computer reads a particular sensor, and adjust
fuel curves based on that. Most of them will add extra fuel, thinking
more fuel = more power. But it will certainly cost you in the mileage area.

>2)There are a bunch of K&N air intakes, Imitation K&N intakes, this
>"vortex" device, this "tornado" device among others. I am interested
>in increasiing my MPG but not interested in paying upwards of 150 for
>a K&N. Can anyone recommend one of the imitation ones such as this
>one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=2467691 696
>or the vortex which are both considerably less, but seem to have a
>similar design? Any input?

A more free flowing intake track can often provide additional
power. Depending. But that's usually at higher engine speeds. And it
won't change your mileage enough to matter.

>3)Are there any other relatively inexpensive ways to get more milage
>for my gas? I dont feel like getting stung as badly by these gas
>prices.

There are lots of ways. First off, consider trading in your vehicle
for something else. Jeeps have never been known for efficiency.
Second, what kind of tires do you have? Wide off road tires really
create a lot of drag. Lastly, adjust your driving habits and style -
it's a free upgrade.

--
..boB
97 H-D FXDWG - Turbocharged!!

Old March 17th 04, 10:36 PM
.boB

Old March 17th 04, 10:37 PM
mic canic

if you look into the intake tube you will find that tornado device if it's a early build
a k&n intake system is a big help as is a complete tune and a good front end alignment
if you have full time 4 wheel drive thats hurting your milage but there is not much you can do
for that
oh yea one big thing slow down

Old March 17th 04, 10:37 PM
mic canic

Old March 18th 04, 08:54 AM
Nom

james wrote:
> Question for all you auto buffs. Ive got a 95 Jeep grand cherokee.
> It has come to my attention that it might be possible to increase Fuel
> Economy by adding one of these mods from ebay. Can you give me your
> opinion on the following:
> 1) can you use one of these "performance modules" in conjunction with
> an air intake device?

AVOID the "performance modules".

> 2)There are a bunch of K&N air intakes, Imitation K&N intakes, this
> "vortex" device, this "tornado" device among others. I am interested
> in increasiing my MPG

Er ?

These devices are designed to give you MORE power.
If you've got more power, then you're using more fuel to get it !

> but not interested in paying upwards of 150 for
> a K&N. Can anyone recommend one of the imitation ones such as this
> one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=2467691 696
> or the vortex which are both considerably less, but seem to have a
> similar design? Any input?

If it does what it's supposed to do, it'll let more air into your engine, so
your Engine Management will inject more fuel, and you'll go faster. Quite
obviously this is not going to improve your fuel economy.

If it does NOT do what it's supposed to do, it'll let the same air into your
engine, so your Engine Management will inject the same amount of fuel, and
you'll go at the same speed. Quite obviously this is not going to improve
your fuel economy.

> 3)Are there any other relatively inexpensive ways to get more milage
> for my gas?

Use your head. Performance-mods are quite obviously not going to increase
your fuel economy !!!!

> I dont feel like getting stung as badly by these gas
> prices.

So why are you driving a stupid great Jeep then ?!?!?!?

Is this actually a serious post ?

perf mods for LS1 reccomendations M Corvette 24 January 7th 05 04:11 PM
Exhaust mods for 97 e36 M3, are they worth it? Abs BMW 9 December 2nd 04 05:22 AM
M30 Intake Manifold Bill BMW 6 November 21st 04 11:39 AM
Need Intake Maniford for Weber Carbs (1984 Spider Volace) r.amber Alfa Romeo 0 June 19th 04 10:28 PM