Stripped Oil Pan Plug

Old March 8th 11, 07:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Doctor

Default Stripped Oil Pan Plug

While changing the oil on my well- used Honda Accord, I noticed that
the oil pan bolt is totally stripped. I don't have time to tap/chase
the threads so I need a quick fix. I heard they make tapered self-
tapping oil pan repair kits. I cannot find them, though. Any ideas on
where this is available? Is this a "help" part? Any pointers on the
install? Sorry for so many questions but I need this car on the road
tomorrow AM. This is what I get for bringing this car to a Quickie
Change center during the winter months...GRRRRR
Jay
Old March 8th 11, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-03-08, The Doctor > wrote:
> While changing the oil on my well- used Honda Accord, I noticed that
> the oil pan bolt is totally stripped. I don't have time to tap/chase
> the threads so I need a quick fix. I heard they make tapered self-
> tapping oil pan repair kits. I cannot find them, though. Any ideas on
> where this is available? Is this a "help" part? Any pointers on the
> install? Sorry for so many questions but I need this car on the road
> tomorrow AM. This is what I get for bringing this car to a Quickie
> Change center during the winter months...GRRRRR
> Jay

If the can be saved by running a tap through them that takes just a few
seconds...

Old March 8th 11, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Doctor

On Mar 8, 2:33*pm, Brent > wrote:
> On 2011-03-08, The Doctor > wrote:
>
> > While changing the oil on my well- used Honda Accord, I noticed that
> > the oil pan bolt is totally stripped. I don't have time to tap/chase
> > the threads so I need a quick fix. I heard they make tapered self-
> > tapping oil pan repair kits. I cannot find them, though. Any ideas on
> > where this is available? Is this a "help" part? Any pointers on the
> > install? Sorry for so many questions but I need this car on the road
> > tomorrow AM. This is what I get for bringing this car to a Quickie
> > Change center during the winter months...GRRRRR
> > Jay

> If the can be saved by running a tap through them that takes just a few
> seconds...

You wouldn't happen to know what size, would you?
Jay
Old March 8th 11, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-03-08, The Doctor > wrote:
> On Mar 8, 2:33*pm, Brent > wrote:
>> On 2011-03-08, The Doctor > wrote:
>>
>> > While changing the oil on my well- used Honda Accord, I noticed that
>> > the oil pan bolt is totally stripped. I don't have time to tap/chase
>> > the threads so I need a quick fix. I heard they make tapered self-
>> > tapping oil pan repair kits. I cannot find them, though. Any ideas on
>> > where this is available? Is this a "help" part? Any pointers on the
>> > install? Sorry for so many questions but I need this car on the road
>> > tomorrow AM. This is what I get for bringing this car to a Quickie
>> > Change center during the winter months...GRRRRR
>> > Jay

>> If the can be saved by running a tap through them that takes just a few
>> seconds...

> You wouldn't happen to know what size, would you?

measure plug bolt's threads.

Old March 8th 11, 07:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Auto parts stores, or hardware stores might have the right size tap.
cuhulin

Old March 8th 11, 07:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Doctor

Got it....thanks for the input Brent...I'll post my results.
Jay.

Old March 9th 11, 01:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Brent" > wrote in message
> On 2011-03-08, The Doctor > wrote:
>> While changing the oil on my well- used Honda Accord, I noticed that
>> the oil pan bolt is totally stripped. I don't have time to tap/chase
>> the threads so I need a quick fix. I heard they make tapered self-
>> tapping oil pan repair kits. I cannot find them, though. Any ideas on
>> where this is available? Is this a "help" part? Any pointers on the
>> install? Sorry for so many questions but I need this car on the road
>> tomorrow AM. This is what I get for bringing this car to a Quickie
>> Change center during the winter months...GRRRRR
>> Jay

> If the can be saved by running a tap through them that takes just a few
> seconds...

IIRC, they make plugs that are more or less self tapping.. At least they
will clean up the threads that are there. If it is too badly screwed up,
then as you say just retap.

Old March 9th 11, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 03/08/2011 08:27 PM, hls wrote:

> "Brent" > wrote in message
>> On 2011-03-08, The Doctor > wrote:
>>> While changing the oil on my well- used Honda Accord, I noticed that
>>> the oil pan bolt is totally stripped. I don't have time to tap/chase
>>> the threads so I need a quick fix. I heard they make tapered self-
>>> tapping oil pan repair kits. I cannot find them, though. Any ideas on
>>> where this is available? Is this a "help" part? Any pointers on the
>>> install? Sorry for so many questions but I need this car on the road
>>> tomorrow AM. This is what I get for bringing this car to a Quickie
>>> Change center during the winter months...GRRRRR
>>> Jay

>> If the can be saved by running a tap through them that takes just a few
>> seconds...
>>

> IIRC, they make plugs that are more or less self tapping.. At least they
> will clean up the threads that are there. If it is too badly screwed up,
> then as you say just retap.

go to your FLAPS and get a tap (don't need a handle, you can use a small
adjustable wrench if careful, although if you have a handle that is
preferable,) and if that doesn't work they sell oversize plugs that will
cut deeper threads for just this problem

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old March 10th 11, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Septo[_2_]

Fixed it.....I borrowed a tap & chased the threads (14mm) and bought a
new plug from Advance Auto. Turned out it was more the plugs fault
than the threads on the pan. The plug was nearly completely stripped.
I cleaned up the pan threads, threw away the old plug bolt and
reinstalled the new. I'm good to go! Thanks for all who chimed in!
Jay

Stripped Oil Pan Plug The Doctor Technology 4 March 11th 11 11:20 PM
oil pan plug abomb69 Jeep 0 April 14th 07 03:28 AM
Question: Leaking Oil Pan Plug LR Corvette 4 November 8th 05 03:51 PM
'99 Intrepid - Dealer Stripped Oil Pan Drain threads? officehelp1981 Chrysler 36 July 5th 05 11:13 AM