new V6 vs. 5.0

Old November 17th 04, 11:47 PM
John

Default new V6 vs. 5.0

I've heard people saying "the new V6 has more power than the old 5 liters." Comparing the specs, the new 6 does indeed have 210hp
vs. the 5.0's 205hp; however, the new 6 has only 240 lb-ft torque while the 5.0 had 300 lb-ft. Clearly, the 5.0 would have the
power advantage in a stoplight race (I hope?).

John V.
93 GT

Old November 18th 04, 12:18 AM
WraithCobra

Power under the curve is more important than peak numbers. A 210 bhp V8
would have a higher average hp across the rpm band than a 210 bhp V6. In two
identical cars they would both achieve a similar top speed, but the V8 would
get there faster. Most consider the majority of the "old 5 liters" rated 225
bhp/300lbft.
--
Mike
Silver 10th Anniversary Cobra Coupe

Old November 18th 04, 01:45 AM
Rein

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:47:09 GMT, "John" > wrote:

>I've heard people saying "the new V6 has more power than the old 5 liters." Comparing the specs, the new 6 does indeed have 210hp
>vs. the 5.0's 205hp; however, the new 6 has only 240 lb-ft torque while the 5.0 had 300 lb-ft. Clearly, the 5.0 would have the
>power advantage in a stoplight race (I hope?).

for sure. the new car is also heavier. plus that 210 hp is only at a
high rpm. Same story for the torque numbers. You will blow the v6 away
with your 5.0.... on a straight line.. In the twisties the comparison
between the two cars is a completely different story........
Old November 18th 04, 02:26 PM
Nicholas D

"Rein" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:47:09 GMT, "John" > wrote:
>
>>I've heard people saying "the new V6 has more power than the old 5
>>liters." Comparing the specs, the new 6 does indeed have 210hp
>>vs. the 5.0's 205hp; however, the new 6 has only 240 lb-ft torque while
>>the 5.0 had 300 lb-ft. Clearly, the 5.0 would have the
>>power advantage in a stoplight race (I hope?).

> for sure. the new car is also heavier. plus that 210 hp is only at a
> high rpm. Same story for the torque numbers. You will blow the v6 away
> with your 5.0.... on a straight line.. In the twisties the comparison
> between the two cars is a completely different story........
> Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

There are other factors aside of weight to consider like gearing, perhaps
wheelbase and weight distribution.

-Nick