Delivering content as only the WHL can.

Old February 1st 08, 05:53 AM posted to misc.transport.road, rec.autos.driving
Carl Rogers

Default Delivering content as only the WHL can.

Hi Viatologists,

The Worldwide Highway Library would like to take a few moments to
thank Microsoft for improving our site. Through Microsoft Expression
Web technology, you can now see a simple, refined interface for
photographs and videos. By tightly integrating w/ Apple Quicktime
technology in WHL-360 presentations, your 360-degree view of highways
keep you standard w/ the times. We want to make your visit seamless,
so you can easily move on afterwards and carry on life w/ your friends
and loved ones. We appreciate your visits during the month of
January, and as a result of the added bandwidth due to the popularity
of multi-megabyte presentations (WMVs, WHL-360s, namely), we need to
adjust inappropriate access to the files.

As many web administrators know, other websites may directly link your
images and videos into their website (called "hotlinking"). The
seemingly innocent gesture can create extra bandwidth that makes
resource to the web administrator's site temporarily unavailable.
That is usually the tip of the iceberg. In isolated yet devastating
occasions, automated scripts generated by "bots" and "worms" can
instantly make several requests to the web administrator's content w/o
the remote computer owner's knowledge. It's the nature of the
business, if you will, as bots and worms can strike from any continent
at anytime. It's truly a backwards compliment in a awful funny way,
as growth and awareness of a product will always attract pockets of
scum.

The WHL is pleased w/ the results of its new interface. It has been
demonstrated to "keep real visitors put", so you can see great-quality
photos and videos of the road. This month, the average visit is 327
seconds. Last January, it was 186 seconds! We're pleased that all
visitors, Usenet and non-Usenet based together, enjoy the new
integrated experience. From this point forward, all content will be
exclusively available from this interface only. Hotlinking, which was
disabled for JPG files in 2005, is now activated for WMVs and WHL-360s
effective today, 31 Jan 2008.

If you're a web administrator who is interested in hotlinking WHL
content to your website, please contact me by email to discuss
licensing agreements. We don't want to shut you out if you really
desire access!

Stay tuned for the weekend, as the WHL begins to wrap up the re-
introduction of its United States road photos. We then move on to
Eurasia and the Middle East. The WHL is the world's largest
collection of roads and videos, period; we don't settle for
persnickety regionalism and backwards values. Simply put, visit the
world's roads through us--we'll deliver!

Cheers,

Carl Rogers
"Adding human experience to transportology"
********
Calrog.com, Worldwide Highway Library:
http://worldwide-hwys.calrog.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
An integrated media arm in International Transportation Research. Has
served your home country and ninety-nine of its worldwide neighbours
since 2000, through Internet downstream and published works.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
********
Old February 1st 08, 12:32 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
necromancer

Carl Rogers:
> Hi Viatologists,
>
> The Worldwide Highway Library would like to take a few moments to
> thank Microsoft for improving our site. Through Microsoft Expression
> Web technology, you can now see a simple, refined interface for
> photographs and videos. By tightly integrating w/ Apple Quicktime
> technology in WHL-360 presentations, your 360-degree view of highways

*SNORT* Last time I looked, Microsuck and Apple were staunch
competitors. For them to collaborate in the manner you describe would be
unusual.

> keep you standard w/ the times. We want to make your visit seamless,
> so you can easily move on afterwards and carry on life w/ your friends
> and loved ones. We appreciate your visits during the month of
> January, and as a result of the added bandwidth due to the popularity
> of multi-megabyte presentations (WMVs, WHL-360s, namely), we need to
> adjust inappropriate access to the files.

You know, I have to tip my Fedora to you, Carl. If nothing else, you are
the most eloquent *bull****ter* that I have seen in quite some time.

--
Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS advocates unsafe driving:

"Yes - the stupid media BLAMED it on the fog. If the SL
is 60 then, by god, you have a right to drive 60 no
matter what the conditions."

--Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS, 1/9/08
Ref: http://tinyurl.com/2fnkof
Msg ID: 706d1599-c987-40a9-8899-bae460b3e291
@p69g2000hsa.googlegroups.com
Old February 1st 08, 03:19 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Ron's Inspector's Inspector

"Carl Rogers" > wrote in message
> Hi Viatologists,
>
> If you're a web administrator who is interested in hotlinking WHL
> content to your website, please

have your head examined immediately.

Old February 1st 08, 03:36 PM posted to misc.transport.road, rec.autos.driving
Sherman L. Cahal

On Feb 1, 10:19 am, "Ron's Inspector's Inspector" <get.lost@invalid>
wrote:
> "Carl Rogers" > wrote in message

> > Hi Viatologists,

> > If you're a web administrator who is interested in hotlinking WHL
> > content to your website, please

> have your head examined immediately.

Ditto. Carl must be so proud of himself.

American Byways pulled off 1,900 hits and 85 unique visitors per day
on average in January, with the average visit length of 6.35 minutes.
And I hardly spam my site around various newsgroups and forums.
Old February 1st 08, 03:50 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Ron's Inspector's Inspector

"Sherman L. Cahal" > wrote in message
> On Feb 1, 10:19 am, "Ron's Inspector's Inspector" <get.lost@invalid>
> wrote:
>> "Carl Rogers" > wrote in message

>> > Hi Viatologists,

>> > If you're a web administrator who is interested in hotlinking WHL
>> > content to your website, please

>> have your head examined immediately.

> Ditto. Carl must be so proud of himself.
>
> American Byways pulled off 1,900 hits and 85 unique visitors per day
> on average in January, with the average visit length of 6.35 minutes.
> And I hardly spam my site around various newsgroups and forums.

Shields Up generated 5,896 images from January 10 thru 31, 2008. Not nearly
as impressive as some of the content-heavy sites, but not bad for what
amounts to a toy. C@lR0g's average visit time of approximately three
minutes is pathetic for a content-heavy site; it generally signifies that
the user figured out pretty quickly that the site was hard to navigate
and/or was of poor quality.

Old February 1st 08, 06:34 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
H.B. Elkins

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:53:00 -0800 (PST), Carl Rogers wrote:

>The WHL is pleased w/ the results of its new interface. It has been
>demonstrated to "keep real visitors put", so you can see great-quality
>photos and videos of the road. This month, the average visit is 327
>seconds. Last January, it was 186 seconds!

So THAT's why you make it so you have to resize your browser window every time
you go up one level to view the next photo in any of your libraries! You're now
counting seconds spent on your site, and it takes time to constantly resize the
browser window on the end-user's side to make the page viewable!

Seriously, that aspect of your site is NOT user friendly.

--
To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate"
Old February 1st 08, 07:20 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
US 71

"Ron's Inspector's Inspector" <get.lost@invalid> wrote

> Shields Up generated 5,896 images from January 10 thru 31, 2008. Not
> nearly as impressive as some of the content-heavy sites, but not bad for
> what amounts to a toy.

Shields Up is cool. WHL isn't. ;-)

Old February 1st 08, 07:28 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
necromancer

US 71:

> "Ron's Inspector's Inspector" <get.lost@invalid> wrote
>

> > Shields Up generated 5,896 images from January 10 thru 31, 2008. Not
> > nearly as impressive as some of the content-heavy sites, but not bad for
> > what amounts to a toy.

> Shields Up is cool. WHL isn't. ;-)

Shields Up provides value to the internet experience. WHL doesn't.

--
"I didn't want to hurt them, I only wanted to kill them."
- David Berkowitz
Old February 1st 08, 09:34 PM posted to misc.transport.road, rec.autos.driving
Alternate US 71

On Feb 1, 1:28 pm, necromancer
> wrote:
> US 71:
>
> > Shields Up is cool. WHL isn't. ;-)

> Shields Up provides value to the internet experience. WHL doesn't.
>
> --
> "I didn't want to hurt them, I only wanted to kill them."
> - David Berkowitz

Proxy servers provide more value to the internet experience than the
Worldwide Highway Leprosy does.

~D
Old February 1st 08, 09:55 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Premier Bush

H.B. Elkins wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:53:00 -0800 (PST), Carl Rogers wrote:
>
>> The WHL is pleased w/ the results of its new interface. It has been
>> demonstrated to "keep real visitors put", so you can see
>> great-quality photos and videos of the road. This month, the
>> average visit is 327 seconds. Last January, it was 186 seconds!

> So THAT's why you make it so you have to resize your browser window
> every time you go up one level to view the next photo in any of your
> libraries! You're now counting seconds spent on your site, and it
> takes time to constantly resize the browser window on the end-user's
> side to make the page viewable!

And why does that even matter? I usually browse with several windows open
at one time, and I'll often click a link, go to another window while I wait
for the first link to load, then go back to the original linked site a bit
later. Totally meaningless, skewed stats.