Time to ban "brights feature" on headlights?

Old November 23rd 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic
Jorge W. Arbusto[_2_]

Default Time to ban "brights feature" on headlights?

"US 71" > wrote in message

> "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" > wrote in
> message .70...
>> Nobody but the deadly criminal speeders who drive over 70 at night need
>> them and they obviously don't count. Many people use their brights at
>> night but then forget about them and blind oncoming traffic and cause
>> crashes.

> What about the blue headlights that blind people?

You mean HIDs? My car came with those, and they're great. If they're
properly aimed, they shouldn't blind oncoming drivers.

Old November 23rd 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic
Brent P[_1_]

In article > , Jorge W. Arbusto wrote:

> For many cars built between the late '70s to the late '90s, the low beams
> are useless. Ever driven an Intrepid or T-bird down an unlit country road
> at night? Even the oncoming traffic can't tell you have your brights on.

I own a '73 Ford. The sealed beams are probably better than most cars
I've driven. Of course it has been upgraded to halogens.

I am guessing you are judging by people who flash high beams at you as
far as their perception is concerned. This is a poor measurement as it
is related to their degree of discomfort and their willingness to tell
another driver he's doing something wrong. Sealed beams are generally so
much less offensive to oncoming drivers they may not bother.

Now particular headlamps can be very bad, but the highbeams would still
often be noticable because of the aim if not so much the brightness.

Old November 24th 07, 06:04 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic
Premier Bush

"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" > wrote
in message .70...
> Nobody but the deadly criminal speeders who drive over 70 at night
> need them and they obviously don't count. Many people use their
> brights at night but then forget about them and blind oncoming
> traffic and cause crashes.

I drove over 70 last night, and used my bright lights. All perfectly
legally.

Old November 25th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic

Jorge W. Arbusto wrote:

>"Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> wrote in message
.. .
>> wrote:
>>>I once found a brilliant solution for high-beam drivers from the
>>>rear. A friend's car was equipped with a specialized set if rear-view
>>>mirrors that extended halfway across the car. We carefully adjusted
>>>the mirrors so as to return the high beams directly into the eyes of
>>>the offending high-beam driver. It worked so well that we left it
>>>that way - at least until we got pulled over by a Cop driving with his
>>>high beams on, who didn't realize that he was being blinded by his own
>>>lights!

>> If you've got a passenger, vehicle powered hand held spot lights are
>> useful and quick. I've also found flash lights suited for scuba diving
>> to be rather effective as well.
>>

>> --
>>

>Not too smart. The guy behind you may be equipped with a .44 Magnum.

The one time I tried it, the guy was too busy figuring out how to keep
his vehicle on the road to be messing with firearms. The nose of his
vehicle *dived* when I lit him up. He had decent dental work (at least
his grimace was nice and shiny).

--

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.
- Admiral Hyman Rickover, U.S. Navy
Old November 26th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic

Jorge W. Arbusto wrote:

>"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" > wrote in
>message .70...
>> Nobody but the deadly criminal speeders who drive over 70 at night need
>> them and they obviously don't count. Many people use their brights at
>> night but then forget about them and blind oncoming traffic and cause
>> crashes.

>Plenty of people drive on rural roads or unlighted interstates at night,
>****-for-brains. Maybe you need to focus on the road instead of on the
>lights of oncoming cars.

He's like most lower forms of mammalian life; goes into vapor lock at
the sight of head lights.

Old December 5th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article >,
Nate Nagel > wrote:
>Matthew T. Russotto wrote:
>> In article >,
>> N8N > wrote:
>>
>>>It ought to be legal to smash out the brights of the car behind you at
>>>a stop light with a Mag-Lite or whatever suitable instrument you carry
>>>under your seat.

>> Finally, a use for .22 Short!

>LOL does that even exist? I don't think I have seen any .22 ammo in
>anything but .22 long rifle... ever.

Yes, .22 Short exists. I've fired it out of a .22LR pistol (it won't
feed but you can load it directly into the chamber).

Wikipedia has a good pictu http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Short
result in a fully-depreciated one.