Reaching San Francisco from Los Angeles, no freeway?

Old November 11th 07, 09:32 PM posted to misc.transport.road,ca.driving,ba.transportation,la.transportation,rec.autos.driving
[email protected][_1_]

Default Reaching San Francisco from Los Angeles, no freeway?

On Nov 11, 8:14 am, wrote:
> On Nov 10, 12:47 pm, Carl Rogers > wrote:
>
> > Hi Viatologists,

> > Surprisingly, it's possible to each the two Californian super-cities w/o
> > a single freeway. By commanding several state routes, and some city
> > streets, you can get the journey done in a full day by car.

> Judging by the responses here the consensus appears to be:
>
> BFD!!!

It's possible to get between *any* two cities without using a freeway,
isn't it? I'm still trying to understand the childlike wonderment of
the original post.

Begs the question: Is there *any* two-point trip that can *only* be
done partially on a freeway? I don't think so.

Old November 11th 07, 09:33 PM posted to misc.transport.road,ca.driving,ba.transportation,rec.autos.driving

necromancer wrote:
>> You failed to mention helicopter, plane and train. But then those wouldn't
>> allow to pat yourself on the back because you think you're so clever.

>Or boat, or hiking or bicycle.

Or, in the case of certain fictional secret agents, or unfortunately
certain non-fictional US senators, there's also the submarine option.

--

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.
- Admiral Hyman Rickover, U.S. Navy
Old November 11th 07, 09:45 PM posted to misc.transport.road,ca.driving,ba.transportation,la.transportation,rec.autos.driving
Scott M. Kozel

" > wrote:

> It's possible to get between *any* two cities without using a freeway,
> isn't it? I'm still trying to understand the childlike wonderment of
> the original post.
>
> Begs the question: Is there *any* two-point trip that can *only* be
> done partially on a freeway? I don't think so.

Major (as in over one mile long) bridges and tunnels could be defined as
a freeway segment. There are a number of possibilities in that regard,
such as crossing the Hudson River and New York Bay.

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com
Old November 11th 07, 09:47 PM posted to misc.transport.road,ca.driving,ba.transportation,la.transportation,rec.autos.driving
Bill Z.

"Scott M. Kozel" > writes:

> Bootstrap Bill > wrote:
> >
> > Can we do the same trip using public transit? This was brought up
> > about a decade or so ago, The answer then was "no". Has there been any
> > improvements since then?

> You're saying that a decade ago that there were no intercity trains,
> buses or airlines between San Francisco and Los Angeles??

Airlines are not "public transit" - they are privately owned.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB
Old November 11th 07, 09:47 PM posted to misc.transport.road,ca.driving,ba.transportation,la.transportation,rec.autos.driving
Premier Bush

US 71 wrote:
> "Carl Rogers" > wrote in message
>> Hi Viatologists,
>>
>> Surprisingly, it's possible to each the two Californian super-cities
>> w/o a single freeway. By commanding several state routes, and some
>> city streets, you can get the journey done in a full day by car.
>>

> So what?
>
> I know at least 3 ways to Chicago from Arkansas without using
> Interstates. :-p

Put me in a car with a full tank of gas in downtown Little Rock and I can
make it to Chicago without using Interstates, without looking at a map. I
could probably return to Little Rock using a completely different route.

Old November 11th 07, 10:05 PM posted to misc.transport.road,ca.driving,ba.transportation,la.transportation,rec.autos.driving
Scott M. Kozel

(Bill Z.) wrote:

> "Scott M. Kozel" > writes:
> > Bootstrap Bill > wrote:
> >
> > > Can we do the same trip using public transit? This was brought up
> > > about a decade or so ago, The answer then was "no". Has there been any
> > > improvements since then?

> > You're saying that a decade ago that there were no intercity trains,
> > buses or airlines between San Francisco and Los Angeles??

> Airlines are not "public transit" - they are privately owned.

A public transit system can be privately owned. The term "public" in
that regard refers to the fact that the passengers do not travel in
their own vehicles, but travel in vehicles that are open to public use.
Assuming that the operator is a common carrier, a transporter who holds
himself out to the general public for the transportation of goods over a
definite route and according to a regular schedule, such a system is
properly termed public transit.

"Public transport, public transportation, public transit or mass transit
comprise all transport systems in which the passengers do not travel in
their own vehicles. While the above terms are generally taken to
include rail and bus services, wider definitions might include scheduled
airline services, ferries, taxicab services etc. — any system that
transports members of the general public. A further restriction that is
sometimes applied is that transit should occur in continuously shared
vehicles, which would exclude taxis that are not shared-ride taxis."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_transport

Old November 11th 07, 10:42 PM posted to misc.transport.road,ca.driving,ba.transportation,la.transportation,rec.autos.driving
CJ

Bill Z. wrote:

> "Scott M. Kozel" > writes:
>
> > Bootstrap Bill > wrote:
> > >
> > > Can we do the same trip using public transit? This was brought up
> > > about a decade or so ago, The answer then was "no". Has there
> > > been any improvements since then?

> > You're saying that a decade ago that there were no intercity trains,
> > buses or airlines between San Francisco and Los Angeles??

> Airlines are not "public transit" - they are privately owned.

What part of 'common carrier' do you not understand.

--
Cliff

Old November 11th 07, 11:11 PM posted to misc.transport.road,ca.driving,ba.transportation,rec.autos.driving
EAST COAST HIVE MIND

Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein) wrote:

> Or, in the case of certain fictional secret agents, or unfortunately
> certain non-fictional US senators, there's also the submarine option.

Submarine Races are cool and FUNNY, and a great American Pastime!

--
Comrade Otto Yamamoto
http://mryamamoto.50megs.com
Old November 11th 07, 11:20 PM posted to misc.transport.road,ca.driving,ba.transportation,la.transportation,rec.autos.driving
Oscar Voss

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Begs the question: Is there *any* two-point trip that can *only* be
> done partially on a freeway? I don't think so.

The closest I can think of is any trip between Anchorage AK and its northern
suburbs Palmer and Wasilla, or points beyond (such as Fairbanks, Glenallen,
or Canada and the lower 48). The only highway heading northeast out of
Anchorage is the freeway segment of the Glenn Highway, and for several miles
there is no alternate land route since the freeway obliterated the highway
it replaced. AFAIK, there's not even a bike trail allowing you to
completely avoid the freeway.

The only out I can think of is to drive southeast from Anchorage to Whittier
(the short freeways south of Anchorage are easily bypassed via the Old
Seward Highway), catch an auto ferry to Valdez, and connect there to
non-freeway highways back to Palmer, Wasilla, etc. That will take you
hundreds of miles out of your way, probably add a day or more to a journey
that'd normally take less than an hour, and lighten your wallet by $150-200
or so.

As you might gather, Anchorage is a little short on land escape routes --
one way out to the northeast, the only other one to the southeast, with tall
mountains to the east and Cook Inlet, Knik Arm and Turnagain Arm surrounding
Anchorage on the other three sides.

--
Oscar Voss - - Arlington VA

my Hot Springs and Highways pages:
http://home.comcast.net/~oscar.voss/
Hawaii Highways: http://www.hawaiihighways.com/

Old November 12th 07, 12:05 AM posted to misc.transport.road,ca.driving,ba.transportation,la.transportation,rec.autos.driving
Steve A.

On Nov 11, 12:00 am, "US 71" > wrote:
> "Carl Rogers" > wrote in message

> > Hi Viatologists,

> > Surprisingly, it's possible to each the two Californian super-cities w/o a
> > single freeway. By commanding several state routes, and some city
> > streets, you can get the journey done in a full day by car.

> So what?
>
> I know at least 3 ways to Chicago from Arkansas without using Interstates.
> :-p

I can top that... I've actually run out of ways from NJ to Boston that
completely avoid Interstates without adding at least 3 hours and 40
miles to my route. There are at least 8 that I've tried so far...